Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 11:47 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,180,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
True, but few consider the peninsula of florida to have ever been Southern.
This is SOOOO not true. Tampa, Orlando, and even Miami (which people love to say is not the South) have VERY DEEP Southern histories before the massive influx of northern transplants and Latinos. Hell, in Tampa when you merge from I-4 to I-75 there is a massive Confederate flag and many Confederate memorials and cemeteries. Also, outside the transplants and Latinos (which many of them actually identify as Southerners), native Floridians are as about as Southern as anyone from Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi. I'm not just saying this because I've visited, I've lived everywhere in Florida from Tallahassee to Jacksonville to Miami and Tampa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 01:21 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
This is SOOOO not true. Tampa, Orlando, and even Miami (which people love to say is not the South) have VERY DEEP Southern histories before the massive influx of northern transplants and Latinos. Hell, in Tampa when you merge from I-4 to I-75 there is a massive Confederate flag and many Confederate memorials and cemeteries. Also, outside the transplants and Latinos (which many of them actually identify as Southerners), native Floridians are as about as Southern as anyone from Georgia, Alabama, or Mississippi. I'm not just saying this because I've visited, I've lived everywhere in Florida from Tallahassee to Jacksonville to Miami and Tampa.
Exactly! And as far as Italians, Tampa has a deep history.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,956,241 times
Baltimore has a couple of italtians around.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
True, but few consider the peninsula of florida to have ever been Southern.
It was.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:52 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Birmingham has a strong Italian community, chiefly because of its industrial past. The identity has faded somewhat over the past generation, but it's still there nonetheless.
OMG, delusional...Yeah I feel like I am in Rome when in Birmingham...lMAO. It has faded and gone with the wind. At one point yes, not now.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:52 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,519,512 times
Quote:
I've been saying it forever. It's unbelievable how people think Florida isn't Southern including Miami. Like I've said many of times, Miami has more in common with Atlanta and New Orleans than it does with New York, DC, or Philadelphia.

Old 05-14-2015, 05:53 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,371,707 times
Quote:

I would not brag being from St. Louis.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I've been saying it forever. It's unbelievable how people think Florida isn't Southern including Miami. Like I've said many of times, Miami has more in common with Atlanta and New Orleans than it does with New York, DC, or Philadelphia.
What world do you live in? The only "Southern" thing about Miami is blacks and their culture! The city of Miami and the rest of Southeastern Florida was founded and built by Yankees starting with Henry Flagler!
Miami has more in common with Atlanta than New York? Miami once was called the "Sixth " borough? are you kidding me?
there is a very large Italian community in SE Florida especially in Broward county.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
Quote:
OMG, delusional...Yeah I feel like I am in Rome when in Birmingham...lMAO. It has faded and gone with the wind. At one point yes, not now
It's like you have alert for when Birmingham is mentioned so you can attack it. I'm not from there and have been to the city twice, but man you have a grudge against that city.

Old 05-14-2015, 06:31 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,138,238 times
Quote:
This is SOOOO not true. Tampa, Orlando, and even Miami (which people love to say is not the South) have VERY DEEP Southern histories
Technically they had history, but they weren't big cities when Italians and others came to the US in the decades leading up to WW2. They were tiny compared to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City