Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 01:46 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,819,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Because you probably know a different type of person?

"New Yorkers" who move to Atlanta skew very heavily working-class African-American or caribbean. For instance, looking at Manhattan, more Atlantans moved to Manhattan than Manhattanites moved to Atlanta in the last Census period.

According to the Census mapper,

From 2008 to 2012
495 people moved from Fulton County, GA to New York County, NY
323 people moved from New York County, NY to Fulton County,GA

NYC is also an entry point for immigrants so a lot of those migrants from the other parts of NY metro area really aren't even NYers. They're just people who passed through. Atlanta has never been a destination for Italian-American New Yorkers.
Yes it has. Check your figures, and get a clue...those numbers are ridiculous, and do NOT reflect reality. I don't care where they came from.

Where do you come up with this crap?

And your sad agenda is showing again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 02:51 AM

282 posts, read 348,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yes it has. Check your figures, and get a clue...those numbers are ridiculous, and do NOT reflect reality. I don't care where they came from.
Well time for a reality check.

Did you really believe well-off people in New York would even entertain the thought of living in Atlanta? You truly imagined people who lived in wonderful places like Manhattan would be moving to Atlanta? Why would they do that lol.

My source is the Census. Take it up with them.

I can see how it could surprise you that more people move to an island in which the median price for a home is $1.3 million (vs $240k in Atlanta), the median rent is $4,000 (vs $980) in Atlanta, but do you really blame them? One is Manhattan and one is Atlanta. People who live in Manhattan generally would never severely downgrade their lives and live somewhere like Atlanta. It's a place known for good/high taste, after all.

Last edited by UAE50; 05-19-2015 at 03:39 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 02:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,116 times
There is a huge population of Italians in Birmingham, AL. The also have a Italian American Society there as well. Growing up there, Birmingham was known as little Italy.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:48 AM

282 posts, read 348,214 times
Italian Ancestry, Metro Area
New York: 3,246,878
Boston: 1,105,474
Chicago: 688,706
Philadelphia: 983,916
Los Angeles: 589,501
Washington: 483,667
San Francisco: 443,958
Miami: 357,488
Detroit: 308,661
Hartford: 244,641
Dallas: 157,447
Atlanta: 144,902
Houston: 141,108

Old 05-19-2015, 06:35 AM

1,535 posts, read 2,356,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqueline1022 View Post
There is a huge population of Italians in Birmingham, AL. The also have a Italian American Society there as well. Growing up there, Birmingham was known as little Italy.
It is NOT HUGE, lol.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Florida is the Northeast's playground. Let's not count that one. The peninsular region is hardly Southern by any means culturally.
You should have excluded Florida in your opening post, since that is clearly the answer. Historically, New Orleans had a very significant Italian population. Present day though, not sure which Southern state/ city outside of FL holds the title.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:19 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,767,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore has a couple of italtians around.
Interestingly, I think I saw the stat that Baltimore actually has less Italians than DC (which I didn't know- although it may have been by %). I don't know how it compares to other deeper southern cities, but I have heard that ATL, Dallas, and Houston Italians are growing. My guess is that the Italian population in Baltimore is stagnant or declining. Little Italy in Baltimore is nice though; one of my favorite sections of the city.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:37 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,879,576 times
Quote:
Because you probably know a different type of person?

"New Yorkers" who move to Atlanta skew very heavily working-class African-American or caribbean. For instance, looking at Manhattan, more Atlantans moved to Manhattan than Manhattanites moved to Atlanta in the last Census period.

According to the Census mapper,

From 2008 to 2012
495 people moved from Fulton County, GA to New York County, NY
323 people moved from New York County, NY to Fulton County,GA

NYC is also an entry point for immigrants so a lot of those migrants from the other parts of NY metro area really aren't even NYers. They're just people who passed through. Atlanta has never been a destination for Italian-American New Yorkers.
It's probably because Georgia isnt a top destination for New Yorkers at all when leaving, based on this cool study/infographic and other info posters have shared on other threads lately, discussing where Northeasterners move (because many claim the NE has seen its best days in terms of population). Most NY residents actually move to other Northeastern states like NJ and PA. I believe those states are one and two or commonly are one and two. Many also move to CA and FL. GA sees a minute number compared to these other states.

Which state are New Yorkers most likely to move to?

Your info is interesting but only goes for NY County (Manhattan). There are 4 more counties in the city and then you could also factor in LI and Westchester among other "upstate" metro counties. Still though, I wouldn't have expected to see more people from Fulton County moving INTO NY County than the opposite.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,900,224 times
Quote:
Well time for a reality check.

Did you really believe well-off people in New York would even entertain the thought of living in Atlanta? You truly imagined people who lived in wonderful places like Manhattan would be moving to Atlanta? Why would they do that lol.

My source is the Census. Take it up with them.

I can see how it could surprise you that more people move to an island in which the median price for a home is $1.3 million (vs $240k in Atlanta), the median rent is $4,000 (vs $980) in Atlanta, but do you really blame them? One is Manhattan and one is Atlanta. People who live in Manhattan generally would never severely downgrade their lives and live somewhere like Atlanta. It's a place known for good/high taste, after all.
Wow, this post is dripping with elitism...and by someone from Dallas no less.

You found one statistic to prove your claim, but it's a minor difference. Within context, that was during the middle of the recession so there were bound to be a bit a loss given that NYC wasn't as affected as Atlanta was. However, the biggest feeder counties from NYC to Atlanta are Queens and Kings counties (always has been) and they're destination is typically to Gwinnett, Dekalb or Clayton counties. But I'm sure you're aware of that.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,900,224 times
While we're talking about elitism, I got this message in a rep point:

Are there any Southern... 05-19-2015 02:01 AM don't lump is into the "south". thank you. x, washington dc native

Haha! If you can see Virginia from DC, you're in the South. Thanks for the rep points though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City