Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 07:48 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,984,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
While we're talking about elitism, I got this message in a rep point:

Are there any Southern... 05-19-2015 02:01 AM don't lump is into the "south". thank you. x, washington dc native

Haha! If you can see Virginia from DC, you're in the South. Thanks for the rep points though.
IMHO this is the real core of the argument that DC/MD are Northeastern, coming from area residents. They don't want to be associated with the South. Sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 08:44 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
It's probably because Georgia isnt a top destination for New Yorkers at all when leaving, based on this cool study/infographic and other info posters have shared on other threads lately, discussing where Northeasterners move (because many claim the NE has seen its best days in terms of population). Most NY residents actually move to other Northeastern states like NJ and PA. I believe those states are one and two or commonly are one and two. Many also move to CA and FL. GA sees a minute number compared to these other states.
Florida has been the top destination for New Yorkers for quite some time and was the top destination for New Yorkers according to the 2013 ACS estimates. Georgia was in fact a top destination for New Yorkers until the recession. Even post-recession, it remains the fourth most popular destination for New Yorkers outside of the Northeast, and the eighth most popular destination overall.

From 2005-2010, the only states that received more New Yorkers than Georgia were Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

Here are numbers from the 2005 ACS dataset.

Florida - 98,535
New Jersey - 62,314
Pennsylvania - 37,224
Georgia - 31,142
Connecticut - 26,319
North Carolina - 29,123
California - 26,079
Texas - 13,267
Virginia - 16,055
Massachusetts - 14,260
Maryland - 11,334

As you can see, the number of New Yorkers moving to Georgia was not miniscule at all. Metro Atlanta experienced its most rapid growth from about the 80s to the mid 2000s. It was during this period when New Yorkers were moving to the state in boatloads. After 2010, economic growth slowed down and so did migration from New York State. It remains to be seen whether this represents an aberration or a long-term trend.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:52 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,994,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Florida has been the top destination for New Yorkers for quite some time and was the top destination for New Yorkers according to the 2013 ACS estimates. Georgia was in fact a top destination for New Yorkers until the recession. Even post-recession, it remains the fourth most popular destination for New Yorkers outside of the Northeast, and the eighth most popular destination overall.

From 2005-2010, the only states that received more New Yorkers than Georgia were Florida, New Jersey, Pennsylvania and North Carolina.

Florida - 98,535
New Jersey - 62,314
Pennsylvania - 37,224
Georgia - 31,142
Connecticut - 26,319
North Carolina - 29,123
California - 26,079
Texas - 13,267
Virginia - 16,055
Massachusetts - 14,260
Maryland - 11,334

As you can see, the number of New Yorkers moving to Georgia was not miniscule at all. Metro Atlanta experienced its most rapid growth from about the 80s to the mid 2000s. It was during this period when New Yorkers were moving to the state in boatloads. After 2010, economic growth slowed down and so did migration from New York State. It remains to be seen whether this represents an aberration or a long-term trend.
I'm going with aberration. The recession was really, really bad. We're getting back to normal now though.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Florida - 98,535
New Jersey - 62,314
Pennsylvania - 37,224
Georgia - 31,142
Connecticut - 26,319
North Carolina - 29,123
California - 26,079
Texas - 13,267
Virginia - 16,055
Massachusetts - 14,260
Maryland - 11,334

I still genuinely know 0 people who moved to Georgia. Surprised I don't see these numbers play out in my anecdotal evidence. Lots move to NC, mostly old people to FL, but seriously - not one person I know chose Georgia. And I know a good number of people who moved to NC.

But it still is a small number when compared to FL and NJ. I mean double the New Yorkers move to NJ than GA and triple move to FL than GA.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I still genuinely know 0 people who moved to Georgia. Surprised I don't see these numbers play out in my anecdotal evidence. Lots move to NC, mostly old people to FL, but seriously - not one person I know chose Georgia. And I know a good number of people who moved to NC.
How many Black and Hispanic people do you know? Georgia is without a doubt the top destination for Black New Yorkers, which is a large part of the reason why its West Indian population has exploded in recent years. There are still a lot of non-Black New Yorkers who move to Georgia but it tends to be much more of a popular destination among Black New Yorkers. It's also becoming increasingly popular among New Yorkers of Dominican ancestry.

Quote:
But it still is a small number when compared to FL and NJ. I mean double the New Yorkers move to NJ than GA and triple move to FL than GA.
South Florida is on a whole different level (even when compared to NJ when adding up each year). I tend to discount NJ in this type of comparison since it's really just people moving to the suburbs. It's no different from people moving from DC into Maryland. Obviously, it's going to have more New Yorkers considering it's part of the metro area.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:09 AM

Quote:
How many Black and Hispanic people do you know? Georgia is without a doubt the top destination for Black New Yorkers, which is a large part of the reason why its West Indian population has exploded in recent years. There are still a lot of non-Black New Yorkers who move to Georgia but it tends to be much more of a popular destination among Black New Yorkers. It's also becoming increasingly popular among New Yorkers of Dominican ancestry.
Basically none, which makes sense. So any Italian-ness in GA/Atlanta isn't really transferring from the NY area like it does in FL.

You can discount NJ but that's a large chunk of residents moving out of NY that you'd be ignoring. Even though it's within metro moving, it's still part of the overall number of people who move out of NY. It's still 60,000 people choosing to NOT move to any other state.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Basically none, which makes sense. So any Italian-ness in GA/Atlanta isn't really transferring from the NY area like it does in FL.
You don't know any Black or Hispanic people?

The second sentence is true. But that's not really happening anywhere else either.

Quote:
You can discount NJ but that's a large chunk of residents moving out of NY that you'd be ignoring. Even though it's within metro moving, it's still part of the overall number of people who move out of NY.
Yeah, but my point was that New Jersey is obviously going to be a destination state for New Yorkers since a large portion of the state (if not the majority) rests in the NY metro area. I'm focused more or less on New Yorkers who leave the region altogether.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Per capita using 2014 est. MSA population:

New Orleans - 8.4%
Tampa Bay - 7.9%
Baltimore - 6.4%
Orlando - 5.3%
South Florida - 5.3%
Jacksonville - 4.7%
Raleigh - 4.3%
Washington DC - 4.2%
Richmond - 3.5%
Charlotte - 3.0%
Atlanta - 2.5%
Nashville - 2.4%
Birmingham - 2.3%
Memphis - 2.2%
Dallas-Fort Worth - 2.0%
Houston - 2.0%

Looks like New Orleans is an outlier, and that makes sense as I believe even the Mafia made its first appearance in America in NOLA. Then come the FL cities, all with elevated Italian populations, and that makes sense. Then comes sort of that corridor of DC-Richmond-NC cities, and that makes sense. Followed by other deep south cities with lower populations, followed by Texas metros with very very small Italian populations.

I grew up in a largely Italian American community outside New Orleans and when we were younger if you asked some kids 'where does your daddy work' they might say 'the Mafia.' My wife's family had members in the Mob. It is an interesting culture and nothing like the predominant culture in the South.
Added Baltimore. Only makes sense if you're going to include Washington, DC.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
You don't know any Black or Hispanic people?
I do. I live in a very white town surrounded by other very white towns - also surrounded by very mixed areas or minority-majority areas, but I don't venture into areas like Elizabeth or Newark all that much. The people I'm closest to - like those who move to NC - are white.

Quote:
The second sentence is true. But that's not really happening anywhere else either.
Exactly. So any Italian-ness outside of Florida was brought by immigrants directly (I mean immigrants from Italy), but Italian immigration to areas other than the NYC area was/is relatively low. I'd be interested in going to an Italian area in New Orleans, for example, and seeing how it compares to around here. Also to see how the food compares.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:29 AM

Actually, now that I think about it, I do know one black family from my town who moved to Atlanta. But they moved back a few years later. I think they have family there, which is why they moved in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City