U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar area to Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro/Winston-Salem 21 25.30%
Charlotte 8 9.64%
Richmond 4 4.82%
Northern Virginia 18 21.69%
Columbia 5 6.02%
Atlanta 4 4.82%
Nashville 5 6.02%
Austin 12 14.46%
Other 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:05 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,539,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
First of all, while Greensboro may not be the dominant city in the Triad, Raleigh absolutely is the dominant city of the Triangle. The Triangle is a historical designation of the region, but Chapel Hill and Cary, in actuality, are seen as suburbs of Durham and Raleigh, respectively. This is my experience as a resident of Fayetteville and Charlotte and more than a few trips to the Triangle and other regions of the state. So, while "Triangle" historically alludes to a region revolving around three cities, it truly revolves around two---and of those two, Raleigh is the more dominant one. Raleigh is the one you hear (much) more of in casual conversation, Raleigh has the majority of entertainment in the area; few people say "I'm going to Durham", and even fewer say "I'm going to the Triangle". It's "I'm going to Raleigh"...
I think this has changed a bit with the opening of the Durham Performing Arts Center:

"Listed three times in the top 50 in Pollstar magazine's worldwide theater attendance ranking, in 2011 DPAC was the #1 U.S. Theater in the listing with a capacity under 4,000 and #4 ranked Theater among all U.S. Theaters." Durham Performing Arts Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:56 AM

315 posts, read 242,101 times
I wonder what that third city is now Cary or Chapel Hill for the longest time it was Chapel Hill but I think with Cary's growth over the years it would probably be Raleigh-Durham-Cary now for the metro.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
I wonder what that third city is now Cary or Chapel Hill for the longest time it was Chapel Hill but I think with Cary's growth over the years it would probably be Raleigh-Durham-Cary now for the metro.
Actually the geniuses at the Bureau of Labor and Statistics split Raleigh and Durham into separate Metropolitan Statistical Areas (MSAs) a few years ago (Raleigh-Cary and Durham-Chapel Hill) even though both cities adjoin in some areas.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:13 AM

20,208 posts, read 28,258,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Raleigh is the more dominant one. Raleigh is the one you hear (much) more of in casual conversation, Raleigh has the majority of entertainment in the area; few people say "I'm going to Durham", and even fewer say "I'm going to the Triangle". It's "I'm going to Raleigh"...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I think this has changed a bit with the opening of the Durham Performing Arts Center:

"Listed three times in the top 50 in Pollstar magazine's worldwide theater attendance ranking, in 2011 DPAC was the #1 U.S. Theater in the listing with a capacity under 4,000 and #4 ranked Theater among all U.S. Theaters." Durham Performing Arts Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I agree with Joe Tarheel as Durham is much more on par with Raleigh in terms of things to do and the whole Raleigh superiority-complex is a holdover from 20 years ago. Besides DPAC, the ADF and it's revitalized downtown with ballpark Durham has also become a culinary hotspot for not only the region, but nationally known too.

History of Durham's food culture | The Chronicle

Old 05-27-2015, 11:23 AM

7,338 posts, read 15,305,855 times
You could make an argument for the Knowledge Corridor in CT/MA (Hartford/Springfield area). They're very comparable in size. The Knowledge Corridor is about 2 Million people strong, Hartford has an MSA of of 1.2 Million and Springfield has an MSA of 700k. Raleigh/Durham has 2 Million people, Raleigh has an MSA of 1.2 Million people, and Durham has an MSA of 500k. Those numbers were closer than I thought when it first popped into my head.

Beyond that, you have a MAJOR collegiate influence in both although CT/MA's Knowledge Corridor is only anchored by two large schools (UMass and UConn) vs. 3 in the Research Triangle (UNC, NC State, Duke). The Knowledge Corridor has a lot more smaller and private colleges in the region than the Research Triangle does.

Both are economic powerhouses and home to major companies.

The growth patterns are different. Hartford/Sprinfield is growing slowly (and predominantly in the suburbs) whereas the Research Triangle is growing rapidly. I think this is reflected in the urban cores as well. Both Raleigh and Durham have seen more development and growth in their city centers than Hartford and Springfield in recent years. Hartford and Springfield even feel downright run down in pockets. Raleigh/Durham (especially Durham) are still works in progress, but they're further along than Hartford and Springfield.

I'm not sure this is the most accurate comparison in the nation, but it's a pretty interesting one at the very least.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:43 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,989,684 times
Wow, Northern VA went from five votes or so to seventeen in a few days.......

Old 05-27-2015, 03:27 PM

504 posts, read 469,111 times
While I think that overall, from a cultural slant and feel perspective, the Triangle is probably most similar to the Triad, I would say physically downtown Raleigh has always sort of reminded me of Reston, VA (NOVA).

Look:

Reston
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9587...yQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Raleigh
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7782...0w!2e0!6m1!1e1

Old 05-27-2015, 03:41 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,989,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
While I think that overall, from a cultural slant and feel perspective, the Triangle is probably most similar to the Triad, I would say physically downtown Raleigh has always sort of reminded me of Reston, VA (NOVA).

Look:

Reston

Raleigh
True, NOVA and Raleigh are both more so trendy and glitzy as opposed to a gritty downtown such as Richmond.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:46 PM

27,752 posts, read 24,763,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post

Look:

Reston

Raleigh
As an actual downtown area/CBD, downtown Raleigh feels a ton more authentic and organic than Reston Town Center.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:13 PM

504 posts, read 469,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
True, NOVA and Raleigh are both more so trendy and glitzy as opposed to a gritty downtown such as Richmond.
The newness of a lot of downtown Raleigh's development to me makes it "look" much closer to other newer developments you'd see in Charlotteor NoVA perhaps. And it's unique in having an international component blended with more classic NC elements you might also find in the Triad. I think people find that attractive. In any case, downtown living as a whole right now has become trendier than in years past. Sometimes I think developers are attempting to lure the suburban crowd to downtown by employing new urbanist concepts in urban environments especially in the southeast. Sometimes it comes off as artificial, and sometimes it's tasteful. Haha, Richmond is a bit gritty to a point, murals, older and newer buildings, re-purposed warehouses mixed together. It's a different energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As an actual downtown area/CBD, downtown Raleigh feels a ton more authentic and organic than Reston Town Center.
Absolutely it does, and in the long run I think it will only get better. Generally speaking, I'd like for Raleigh to have a larger downtown, but it's done an excellent job bringing restaurants, shops, bars to the Wilmington and Fayetteville Street corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or