U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar area to Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro/Winston-Salem 21 25.30%
Charlotte 8 9.64%
Richmond 4 4.82%
Northern Virginia 18 21.69%
Columbia 5 6.02%
Atlanta 4 4.82%
Nashville 5 6.02%
Austin 12 14.46%
Other 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:37 PM

2,825 posts, read 2,995,686 times

Advertisements

Downtown Raleigh is fine for the population of the city, but it's mostly more suburban sprawl emerging from all the transplants moving here. Apartment high rises have popped up around downtown Raleigh, but not to the extent of all the newer sprawl in areas like Morrisville, Apex, and even Clayton (used to be a "country town" but those days are slipping away). The Research Triangle has grown tremendously, but in a bad way IMO. I hate the sprawl in areas like Cary that go on forever, but I guess North Carolina in general is becoming more suburban. Even in smaller towns outside the metro like Mebane, new apartment complexes and subdivisions are popping up (mostly along I-85/I-40).

Is this a similar situation up in Richmond? I've always been under the impression that North Carolina has grown more than Virginia, but I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 10:07 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,347,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXboi View Post
I wonder what that third city is now Cary or Chapel Hill for the longest time it was Chapel Hill but I think with Cary's growth over the years it would probably be Raleigh-Durham-Cary now for the metro.
In the census Cary is considered the third since it's the third largest by population. Culturally though, it's still Chapel Hill, which is a place with character and a rich cultural history, as well as the state's flagship public university, while Cary is a sleepy characterless suburb that is indistinguishable from the suburbs of Raleigh, south Durham, Morrisville, or Apex if not for the signs saying when it begins and ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Downtown Raleigh is fine for the population of the city, but it's mostly more suburban sprawl emerging from all the transplants moving here. Apartment high rises have popped up around downtown Raleigh, but not to the extent of all the newer sprawl in areas like Morrisville, Apex, and even Clayton (used to be a "country town" but those days are slipping away). The Research Triangle has grown tremendously, but in a bad way IMO. I hate the sprawl in areas like Cary that go on forever, but I guess North Carolina in general is becoming more suburban. Even in smaller towns outside the metro like Mebane, new apartment complexes and subdivisions are popping up (mostly along I-85/I-40).

Is this a similar situation up in Richmond? I've always been under the impression that North Carolina has grown more than Virginia, but I could be wrong.
Richmond has a larger urban footprint in its core, but it is mostly sprawl as well. Pretty much every major southern city looks very similar to this. Heck--most cities in the country are like this. It's very unusual for an american city to not be ~80% sprawl.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 PM

Cary is basically one giant suburb built off the back of RTP, so of course Chapel Hill will always be the third city. After all, Chapel Hill was here long before Cary, and Cary doesn't have much to claim other than being clean/safe suburbia.

I feel like Raleigh would be more similar to Richmond if Raleigh was more historic, dense, and gritty. However, since that's not the case at all, I'm not surprised at all the Northern Virginia votes. The suburbs of Richmond and Raleigh have always struck me as near identical, for example areas like Midlothian compared to North Raleigh. Both cities are less than three hours apart, too (I can probably drive to Richmond faster than driving to Charlotte). But, at the cores of each city, they're quite dissimilar.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:59 PM

Sounds like Greensboro/Winston-Salem, Northern Virginia, and Austin take the cake. Makes sense.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:27 AM

315 posts, read 242,539 times
I see.......I think the splitting into separate metropolitan areas made the triangle area seem alot smaller then it is.........I easily see it as a full metro easily on the level of a Charlotte or Nashville.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:03 PM

6,225 posts, read 8,375,965 times
The golden triangle:

Starkville MS
Columbus MS
West point MS

Old 06-16-2015, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
While I think that overall, from a cultural slant and feel perspective, the Triangle is probably most similar to the Triad, I would say physically downtown Raleigh has always sort of reminded me of Reston, VA (NOVA).

Look:

Reston
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9587...yQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Raleigh
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.7782...0w!2e0!6m1!1e1
Those two exact spots from the air:

Reston

Raleigh

Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 PM

505 posts, read 470,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Those two exact spots from the air:

Reston

Raleigh
I said they physically (look and feel) similar, not that they were the same. In any case, if you even want to make that comparison, you have to use the same scale (refering to the lower right hand corner). The scale has to be 500ft for both images. If you use 500ft for both you'll find that it evens some things out a bit - but even that wasn't my point Vatnos.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:27 AM

Before the 1990's, I'm tempted to say Raleigh/Durham had more in common with Columbia, SC or Richmond, VA over any other metro with the exception of Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Today, it makes more sense to draw similarities between Raleigh/Durham and Northern Virginia, Austin, and Atlanta. Anyone agree or disagree?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquest1 View Post
I said they physically (look and feel) similar, not that they were the same. In any case, if you even want to make that comparison, you have to use the same scale (refering to the lower right hand corner). The scale has to be 500ft for both images. If you use 500ft for both you'll find that it evens some things out a bit - but even that wasn't my point Vatnos.
That's fine, but my point is that they are not similar. Zooming in a bit will not make them look similar. You cannot make them exactly the same scale in Google Maps because one has the 3D overlay thingy on it.

It's like zooming in on the Eiffel Tower in Paris, and then the Eiffel Tower in Las Vegas, and claiming the cities look similar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or