U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most similar area to Raleigh/Durham
Greensboro/Winston-Salem 21 25.30%
Charlotte 8 9.64%
Richmond 4 4.82%
Northern Virginia 18 21.69%
Columbia 5 6.02%
Atlanta 4 4.82%
Nashville 5 6.02%
Austin 12 14.46%
Other 6 7.23%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 08:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,986,909 times

Advertisements

In terms of migration patterns, size, the downtown districts of Raleigh and Durham, accents, local culture, history, suburbs vs density, etc. Which metro would you say has the most in common with the NC Research Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2015, 07:03 PM

Anything?

Old 05-14-2015, 07:15 PM

156 posts, read 159,982 times
There's no clear match. I'd say Austin probably though due to them both being sunbelt cities, having rapid growth and lots of transplants. Both have some tech industry and state government. Raleigh and Austin are both capitol cities. The Triangle has much more universities though. And the Triangle is 3 cities whereas Austin is obviously just one.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:37 PM

27,713 posts, read 24,737,149 times
The Triad

Old 05-15-2015, 05:53 AM

156 posts, read 159,982 times
Ive lived in both greensboro and raleigh. The triads economy is much more manufacturing based and the area isn't growing nearly as fast. High Point isn't similar to anything in the Triangle. Durham and Winston have similar vibes and history though. Greensboro isn't growing or redeveloping downtown at a rate similar to raleigh at all. The Triad also doesn't have a large number of transplants and young professionals. I'd say besides both having a number of universities and having three cities, they are pretty different in who lives there and their growth rates.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel84 View Post
Ive lived in both greensboro and raleigh. The triads economy is much more manufacturing based and the area isn't growing nearly as fast. High Point isn't similar to anything in the Triangle. Durham and Winston have similar vibes and history though. Greensboro isn't growing or redeveloping downtown at a rate similar to raleigh at all. The Triad also doesn't have a large number of transplants and young professionals. I'd say besides both having a number of universities and having three cities, they are pretty different in who lives there and their growth rates.
They aren't clones, but I still think it's the most similar area to the Triangle. A metro region centered on three cities, somewhat similar in size, very similar geography and climate, a nice mix of universities, ACC sports, tobacco history, and all share a general NC culture and vibe.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:53 AM

In a way, High Point is the Cary of the Triad. However, High Point is known for furniture manufacturing while Cary is a giant suburban town built off the back of RTP. Winston-Salem and Durham are very similar, no denying that. However, Durham is more liberal and transplant saturated which shouldn't be a surprise. I guess you could draw some similarities between Raleigh and Greensboro, too. The two areas are different but they do share some similarities, plenty of interaction between them for one.

Old 05-16-2015, 06:31 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,535,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
In a way, High Point is the Cary of the Triad. However, High Point is known for furniture manufacturing while Cary is a giant suburban town built off the back of RTP. Winston-Salem and Durham are very similar, no denying that. However, Durham is more liberal and transplant saturated which shouldn't be a surprise. I guess you could draw some similarities between Raleigh and Greensboro, too. The two areas are different but they do share some similarities, plenty of interaction between them for one.
The main difference in Cary and High Point is that HP a much older city with it's own identity, where Cary is the epitome of a large residential suburb. It's hard to think of those two in the same category other than maybe population.

The Triad seems to be the most similar of the bunch here, but there are as many differences as there are similarities. Transplants are very common in the Triad, but not nearly like the numbers in the Triangle. W-S has a large and growing research park downtown, but not nearly on the level of the huge (and much older/established) RTP. The Triad has universities, but only one (Wake Forest) on the level of the 3 in the Triangle. The Triad's economy has diversified well over the past couple of decades (there was really no other option) but manufacturing is still much more important there than in the Triangle. The skylines of the 3 primary cities are pretty similar (W-S and Raleigh, GSO and Durham, Chapel Hill an HP). The Triad has seen healthy population growth, but not anywhere near that of the Triangle (one of the fastest growing in the nation).

Old 05-16-2015, 07:21 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,006,717 times
I think Raleigh is most similar to Austin (big university presence, tech scene, state government, similar size, growing fast, etc. etc.), but as a greater metro I think the Triad is the best comparison. There aren't many true tri/multi-nodal cities in the country, but the Triangle, Triad, and Hampton Roads are probably the best examples (at least of large metros). Funny that they're all in the same general region. Anyway, I think that distinction is important because the relatively large population in the MSA/CSA is segregated into three distinct centers without a truly dominant city.

I think the cities benefit from their proximity to each other, but I think it could hurt a little too in that each metro gets less attention that it would if two of the cities were smaller suburbs rather than cities unto themselves.

Anyway, the cultural similarities and geographic proximity just make the comparison even clearer.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
There aren't many true tri/multi-nodal cities in the country, but the Triangle, Triad, and Hampton Roads are probably the best examples (at least of large metros). Funny that they're all in the same general region.
There's also the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson, SC CSA and on a smaller scale, you have NW Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or