U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American
New York City 35 16.20%
Miami 1 0.46%
Chicago 108 50.00%
Los Angeles 6 2.78%
Dallas 16 7.41%
Washington D.C. 12 5.56%
Atlanta 8 3.70%
Phoenix 6 2.78%
Seattle 1 0.46%
Philadelphia 23 10.65%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 07-21-2016, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11185

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Chicago. It's midwestern big city vibe encompasses the overall US makeup.
I would say any Midwestern city would probably win this poll because the Midwest captures more of America than any other region IMO. Its cities are not old like East Coast cities but they are older than the cities out West. You've got a lot of Catholics but also a lot of Evangelicals. You've got European-inspired ethnic dishes but barbecue at the same time. You've also probably got more linguistic diversity as states like Indiana were essentially settled by Southerners from the bottom up.

The perception of the East Coast rules it out completely imo. Philadelphia could probably be considered the most American of the Big Four cities on the East Coast, but there exists, I think, a Snooki/Jersey Shore perception of the entire stretch from Philadelphia to Southern New England that comes off as being a bit outside of White Mainstream America.

California is totally out. Every other comment on Washington Post articles is some conservative complaining about how that state has been "lost" to the "illegals."
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2016, 05:35 PM
 
1,225 posts, read 1,504,761 times
Reputation: 1032
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
You could argue the same about Brooklyn but that's why I didn't list New York. The non American influence there is super strong. Chinese anyone?

A hot dog is American but based on Vienna sausage (wiener as in Wien for Vienna). Philly's cheesesteak isn't really based on any European counterpart that I know of.

Now as far as the other foods I listed, I agree that they are not European. But Polish sausage? Kielbasa is absolutely not American and Chicago has entire food stands dedicated to selling kielbasa. It is one of Chicago's well known foods.

Is Chicago pizza not eaten in Europe? Of course it isn't. But, it certainly isn't an American standard. New York pizza is. Chicago pizza by definition can't lay claim to being the most American in the same fashion New Haven style can't.

Now you may think the Chicago accent is rare but that sounds like something a Northerner would say. Even young people have it. What nobody in Chicago has is that WISCONSIN bastardized accent used in the Superfan skit. That has never existed in Chicago so no wonder people say the Chicago accent is rare. It isn't rare, most people just don't know how to properly imitate us. Either way, it is kind of a non-American sounding accent due to the heavy Polish, Irish, and German influence. Philly while it had a distinct accent has less "foreign" influence and also is closer to General American.
Philly is far more European influenced than Chicago and it's not even close. The Philly accent is thicker and more distinct from the general American accent than Chicago. The Chicago accent sounds pretty close to the general American imo.
Philly accents



Chicago accents



Chicago is the quintessential American city and it looks like most people will agree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 05:49 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly is far more European influenced than Chicago and it's not even close.
Chicago has more people born in Europe due to its large Eastern European population (Polish in particular). Philadelphia has a larger percentage of ethnic Whites and flat out has more Italians and Irish Catholics despite being a significantly smaller metro. It could be argued, however, that Philadelphia's ethnic whites are more Americanized since a higher percentage were born here. A lot of people, for example, would consider Staten Island firefighters to be All-American.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11185
Here's the Northeastern version of "All-American."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DzkSgvt6UE
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2016, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
15,832 posts, read 5,390,595 times
Reputation: 4643
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Here's the Northeastern version of "All-American."


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DzkSgvt6UE
Isn't that the skit where Chris Rock went to Howard Beach and asked people to rename Cross Bay Blvd to Tupac Shukur Blvd? That was priceless 😂
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 05:32 AM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,964 posts, read 1,936,696 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
statue of liberty is in nyc.
ken from street fighter is from la.
dallas cowboys.

i really dont understand why chicago is so high ?
i doubt that to someone from someplace like st. lucia would immediately think about chicago when speaking about the u.s.a.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I have and I still don't understand. Those movies could have taken place anywhere and nobody would have noticed. It is not like there was distinctively Chicago about them.
poll idea: cities that portray important charecters in the films that are set in them
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 06:25 AM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,436,631 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Philly is far more European influenced than Chicago and it's not even close. The Philly accent is thicker and more distinct from the general American accent than Chicago. The Chicago accent sounds pretty close to the general American imo.
The mere presence of Northern Cities Vowel Shift means that Chicago does not have a chance at sounding General American. Philly's vowels are within the General American spectrum whereas Chicago invents new ones. Philly is also within Midland accent territory meaning it does approximate General American more.

Quote:
Philly accents



Chicago accents



Chicago is the quintessential American city and it looks like most people will agree.
You realize you only posted one actual Philly accent right? And Steve Martorano has an ethnolect used by South Philly Italians (meaning not most people in Philly). That is quite a dishonest way to prove a point. Most people in Philly don't have the ethnolect. Does Chris Matthews sound that way? No. Neither does Jim Cramer or even Tina Fey using her exaggerated Philly accent.





Does that sound General American to you? Heck it sounds like a Minnesota thing at times (I guess if you consider Minnesota General American that's on you though I don't know why). I guess the simple fact that a nationally recognized TV show made fun of how Chicagoans speak should be a dead giveaway that they speak extremely distinctive. Has anyone done that for Philly? No because to most ears a Philadelphia accent is not distinctive.

Something more General American:





Compare that to Philly:





Also, Philly doesn't have a ton of non Anglo influence on its accent. Most of it is from the English West Country and also Scotland. Chicago on the other hand has a more varied origin due to the fact many Whites in Chicago have more recent ties to the old country. So as far "European" influence outside of the British Isles, Chicago wins. Therefore making it more removed from General American.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11185
I posted that video of "Chicago Bobby" in the Chicago forum and was told that he wasn't representative of the way Chicagoans speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Chicago Bobby does not have a Chicago accent at all. He sounds more NYish than Chicagoish.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 AM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,436,631 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I posted that video of "Chicago Bobby" in the Chicago forum and was told that he wasn't representative of the way Chicagoans speak.
Kamms needs to back up his point about NYish sounding Bobby.

He has no
Tense-lax split (all his short a sounds are tense)
Non rhoticity
Fronting and diphthongizing of AW sounds
Received Pronunciation short vowels (instead he has NCVS which is absent in New York).

I am not exactly sure how he has a NY accent. Maybe the reason Kamms hears New York is because he doesn't actually know what people from Chicago sound like. Could it be the distinctive Northern quality which is the pronunciation of O and U? Chicago and New York pronounce those exactly the same.

But the fact that Bobby says "one of my bohddies" is a distinctly Great Lakes sound. He says but like "boht". Again, not NY. Also, nobody in NY pronounces roof to rhyme with hoof, or caramel with two syllables, or water with short an open mouth vowel. These are Chicago traits. Also when he says "naturally" he tenses the first short A to where it becomes "nEAturally". A New Yorkers by virtue of the fact that short a is not tensed before T would say it simply "naturally". He also pronounces Tumblr as "Tohmblr" indicating NCVS again. The way he says "call" with one vowel sound instead of the NY diphthong of "caw-ull" indicates again, not New York.

The differences are subtle but they are there.

Last edited by EddieOlSkool; 07-22-2016 at 09:28 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,611 posts, read 24,787,463 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Kamms needs to back up his point about NYish sounding Bobby.

He has no
Tense-lax split (all his short a sounds are tense)
Non rhoticity
Fronting and diphthongizing of AW sounds
Received Pronunciation short vowels (instead he has NCVS which is absent in New York)

I am not exactly sure how he has a NY accent. Maybe the reason Kamms hears New York is because he doesn't actually know what people from Chicago sound like. Could it be the distinctive Northern quality which is the pronunciation of O and U? Chicago and New York pronounce those exactly the same.
He said he sounds more NYish than he did Chicago. Not that he sounds like a full-blown New Yorker.

Chicago Bobby mentions in the video that he's Italian-American. Perhaps there are some linguistic similarities between Italian communities in different cities across the country. At any rate, most posters in the Chicago forum noted that most White people in Chicago don't sound like him.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top