U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American
New York City 35 16.20%
Miami 1 0.46%
Chicago 108 50.00%
Los Angeles 6 2.78%
Dallas 16 7.41%
Washington D.C. 12 5.56%
Atlanta 8 3.70%
Phoenix 6 2.78%
Seattle 1 0.46%
Philadelphia 23 10.65%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 PM
 
551 posts, read 658,236 times
Reputation: 941

Advertisements

I refuse to vote in a poll that includes Phoenix but not Boston or San Francisco. Phoenix is hell on earth. OP can rot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
15,832 posts, read 5,411,672 times
Reputation: 4643
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessoftheCape View Post
I refuse to vote in a poll that includes Phoenix but not Boston or San Francisco. Phoenix is hell on earth. OP can rot.
That was not necessary, hater. And anyways, San Francisco, at least by conservatives is thought of as some hedonistic commie elitist citadel (I don't agree with that at all, for the record, just stating prevailing opinion among the right), and Nancy Pelosi and Diane Feinstein are considered crosses between Stalin and Hitler (again, I don't agree, just stating opinion of the right wing)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,619 posts, read 24,821,143 times
Reputation: 11185
If we're going to argue that Chicago hot dogs are not American, then we should also argue that fried chicken is not American since that has its origins in the British Isles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 07:38 AM
 
125 posts, read 93,855 times
Reputation: 69
Why so many more votes for Chicago over New York City? I thought New York City would easily win this poll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 AM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,448,212 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
If we're going to argue that Chicago hot dogs are not American, then we should also argue that fried chicken is not American since that has its origins in the British Isles.
Pizza from NY has become an American standard. Chicago hot dogs have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 08:38 AM
 
4,801 posts, read 3,448,212 times
Reputation: 2568
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
That was not necessary, hater. And anyways, San Francisco, at least by conservatives is thought of as some hedonistic commie elitist citadel (I don't agree with that at all, for the record, just stating prevailing opinion among the right), and Nancy Pelosi and Diane Feinstein are considered crosses between Stalin and Hitler (again, I don't agree, just stating opinion of the right wing)
Ok and? Conservatives view Chicago as a mess created by anti gun liberal laws and not many live there. You would be hard pressed to find any conservatives in Chicago. Even in the MSA, DuPage, Lake, and Lake (IN) are all Blue. Chicago's history of immigration and blue collar union workers makes it quite hostile to conservative ideals. Also while not SD it IS VERY gay friendly and is known for its corrupt Democrats. Chicago is one of the reasons conservatives hate big cities with national recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:26 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,619 posts, read 24,821,143 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Pizza from NY has become an American standard. Chicago hot dogs have not.
Your argument earlier was that Chicago hot dogs are not really "American" because they are European-inspired. But fried chicken is also European-inspired. You even have certain types of fried foods--like North Carolina calabash--that aren't found outside of Southeastern N.C. So are those cuisines as non-American as Chicago hot dogs because they have European origins?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:28 AM
 
Location: Crooklyn, New York
27,619 posts, read 24,821,143 times
Reputation: 11185
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Pizza from NY has become an American standard. Chicago hot dogs have not.
Also, you seem to bring up European influence a lot. Do you think Chicago has more European influence than New York City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:34 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,313,365 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What other parts of the Midwest serve pizza like that??? Most standard American pizza is modeled after NY style. The majority of the country thinks Chicago style pizza is weird.

Then why are there threads about the NY accent becoming extinct? It is believed that the NY accent has fallen out of favor heavily in recent times. You know why Chicago people have no reason to get rid of their accent? Because they mostly have no idea they even have one.
Chicago DEEP-DISH PIZZA is NOT A COMMON VARIATION EVEN IN CHICAGO.... We were over that already..... The few Restaurants downtown and couple in the suburbs.... cater MORE TO TOURIST.... It is WIDELY KNOWN AS A CHICAGO STYLE. BUT as a local COMMONLY FOUND and eaten style.... in its NEIGHBORHOODS. NO

Again...any STRONG CHICAGO ACCENT LEFT IN ITS FULL DISTINCTIVE FORM? IS VERY RARE TODAY. THE BROOKLYN NY ACCENT IS STILL PREVALENT given the size...of Brooklyn alone.

HOPE THE BELOW LAYS TO REST THIS PIZZA DEBATE and how THE MIDWEST DOES PIZZA TOO..

Gallery: Do You Know These Regional Pizza Styles?: Serious Eats | Serious Eats

excerpt from above sight;
CHICAGO THIN CRUST....
Another form of pizza prevalent in Chicago, though it seems that folks outside the Windy City mostly overlook this style when talking about Chicago pizza. It's thinner than New York-style and crunchier, though it's also more tender and flaky. Almost pastry-like.
Often cut into a grid of square pieces (instead of pie-shaped wedges) in what's known as the "party cut" or "tavern cut."

MIDWEST STYLE...
Variations, are found throughout the Midwest--from Ohio to Milwaukee to Chicago to wherever. I'd even go so far as to say that the "Chicago-style" pizza just above is really a variation of "Midwest-style." The Midwest style is round, thin, very crisp yet tender-flaky, and is party- or tavern-cut into the grid.

ST LOUIS STYLE.....
Might be mistaken for a Chicago thin crust at first, just on looks--and maybe for the fact that Saint Louis and Chicago are only a few hundred miles apart. But this style's very thin, crackerlike crust is unleavened.

***There you go...... got your answer. Also you will find not ALL thin pizza is called NY style.

On hearing the NY/Brooklyn accent....... just less common in Manhattan because of so many transplants. Again, the Chicago accent NOT DIALECTS we all have all over the US.....Is much rarer today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Pizza from NY has become an American standard. Chicago hot dogs have not.
****No one said a Chicago-style dog is AT ALL COMMON outside of Chi-Town. But it is.....VERY COMMON THERE. ... Again just thin pizza..... does not mean NY style. Thin-crispy pizza is Chicago's common kind... NOT deep-dish common there....

But if THIN BUT WHIMPY CRUSTED ....and cut in big TRIANGLE SLICES. THEN I TEND TO CALL IT NY-STYLE. Like if I pick a Triangle slice of pizza up and you get the..... LIMPY WHIMPY ... Then its NY-STYLE to me....

I couldn't resist this last part..... But I have NO AIM TO MOCK NYC to somehow.... BOAST anything CHICAGO.

THIS PIZZA/HOT DOG DEBATE IS WORE-OUT..... Has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE VOTES.

We need to stick to WHY ONE CITY BEST REPRESENTS ..."Quintessential American city".

I claimed CHICAGO'S ARCHITECTURE, HOUSING AND THE CITY'S STREET-GRID, 20th CENTURY HISTORY, MIDDLE-AMERICA, ECT. ARE ASPECTS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2016, 10:39 AM
 
Location: Rochester NY
943 posts, read 673,693 times
Reputation: 1374
Honestly none of these cities really scream 'America' to me. I voted for Philly because of its history but that's about it. I guess when I really think of America I think of small hard working blue collar towns. Just my opinion though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top