U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American
New York City 35 16.20%
Miami 1 0.46%
Chicago 108 50.00%
Los Angeles 6 2.78%
Dallas 16 7.41%
Washington D.C. 12 5.56%
Atlanta 8 3.70%
Phoenix 6 2.78%
Seattle 1 0.46%
Philadelphia 23 10.65%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 02:54 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,104,184 times

Advertisements

Chicago getting the most votes makes no sense, as it doesn't have all the elements of the United States in it. It has no Southern influences in it at all. I would guess cities like Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis, basically all cities along the I-70 corridor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 02:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,311,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Ok, we get it. You like architecture more than anything else.
My question is, why do you view it as more important than other factors?
Well more important then accents that have become more diluted and young people with raised on the internet. Use phasing and slang of their favorite music idol to other entertainment celebrities. Small city kids mimic big city dress to talk....

Architecture defines European National heritage and pride as CREATED BY THEM. Just England alone has soooo many dialects. Some Americans find difficult to understand.

I surely give early American history to Philly. But in reality... the 20th century is the century of America coming of age. Our Cities... Chicago and Philly. Had their largest growth period then. ALL the North to West Coast. So the 20th century IS WHERE AMERICAN STYLE, CREATIVITY. Was GREATEST. The 1700s and early 1800s we were still more British inspired and influenced. Far less European.... especially Southern and Eastern.

Your Catholic vs. Protestant showings of Philly and Chicago... needed the 20th century to add their influence.
Architecture is a aspect the World notes with individual nations. Row-housing is NOT LINKED AS A AMERICAN FORM. PHILLY EMBRACED.

Detached-singles with GREEN-SPACE and tree-lined is. Having garages is.... The Skyscraper is..... Each Chicago embraced and the city was built by them traits that would be seen as AMERICAN IN ORIGIN.
As others mentioned other Midwest cities too. It is Middle America that EUROPEAN INFLUENCE seems least....

Just a few reasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by U146 View Post
Chicago getting the most votes makes no sense, as it doesn't have all the elements of the United States in it. It has no Southern influences in it at all. I would guess cities like Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Columbus, Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and St. Louis, basically all cities along the I-70 corridor.
Well Chicago's Southern influence is in its African-American influx. They came from the deep south. THEY BROUGHT WHAT WOULD BE DEFINED WITH CHICAGO AS THE .... "Blues" A totally American music and Jazz.

But I can agree with your list of other Midwest cities. But Chicago has the Mafia Al Capone (a born and bred New Yorker) era. FULLY SEEN AS AMERCAN, and a DOWNTOWN ALONE with the Skyscraper origins and its SKYLINE IS FULLY AMERICAN.... Even Iconic today YET. Even as China builds skyscrapers over night and Dubai..... ironically used MANY CHICAGO ARCHITECTS. Why Trump Tower Chicago is similar to Dubai's tallest.... Same Architect.

Last edited by steeps; 07-27-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 03:28 PM

27,612 posts, read 24,808,715 times
Quote:
That conservative mindset of the Lower Midwest and the South is not present in places like Wisconsin and Minnesota. The exception I will say to that is West Michigan with the conservative Dutch types but they are an isolated portion of a very different state. Michelle Bachmann is seen as a crazy person by most Minnesotans. In fact one of the differences that the Great Lakes and Upper Midwest has with the Lower Midwest is the presence of Blue leaning rural counties full of White people. Not very different from rural New England albeit religion.
Yet Michelle Bachmann was elected to four consecutive terms by suburban Minneapolis voters. And Paul Ryan is, ya know, kind of the poster boy for American conservatism.

Let's take a gander.

Ranking states by the liberalism/conservatism of their voters - Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science

Pennsylvania is the odd man out in the Northeast (largely because of the western part of the state). The Northeast, however, is much more liberal than the Midwest. Wisconsin is right of center on economic issues and slightly left of center on social issues. Minnesota is left of center on social issues but slightly right of center on economic issues.

Quote:
The Europeans of Chicago just seen too tied to the old country (presumably not having been here as long) and there is less of a "yay 'Murica" mentality among them. From what I have seen, Philly natives seem to have more of an American pride than a European pride whereas Chicagoans are all about being international. And tbh the Midwest transplants that come in consider themselves hyper-cultured even though for the most part they are bumpkins.
Right.

White New Yorkers aren't even "too tied to the old country." Only 6.9% of Non-Hispanic Whites in the Chicago MSA were born in Europe. That's a negligible percentage.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Ok, we get it. You like architecture more than anything else.

My question is, why do you view it as more important than other factors?
We understand that you like accents more than anything else.

Why do you view that as more important than other factors?

Old 07-27-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
But anyway, I know ethnic identity is strong in Philly. I just believe it's even stronger in Chicago to a degree that people wouldn't even add the -American suffix to their ethnic identity many times.
Here are Irish, Italian, Jewish and Polish totals for the following metros.

Quote:
Boston - 36.45% of MSA (49.38% of NHW population)
New Haven - 36.07% of MSA (55.09% of NHW population)
Philadelphia - 33.03% of MSA (51.26% of NHW population)
Hartford - 32.86% of MSA (47.21% of NHW population)
New York - 32.26% of MSA (66.94% of NHW population)
Pittsburgh - 31.80% of MSA (36.55% of NHW population)
Worcester - 30.13% of MSA (37.27% of NHW population)
Rochester - 30.12% of MSA (38.57% of NHW population)
Providence - 27.72% of MSA (34.83% of NHW population)
Cleveland - 26.69% of MSA (37.01% of NHW population)
Chicago - 22.81% of MSA (41.78% of NHW population)
Detroit - 21.19% of MSA (31.16% of NHW population)
Baltimore - 19.98% of MSA (33.78% of NHW population)

Old 07-27-2016, 04:46 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,441,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
That had nothing to do with my post. Nowhere did I say Philly's numbers of White ethnics was low. I said that Chicago's larger number of European immigration presently gives it a less American feel.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:49 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,441,503 times
Quote:
We understand that you like accents more than anything else.

Why do you view that as more important than other factors?
I don't. Somebody chose to single it out and make an entire refutation out of it because it wasn't in line with their views. My initial post threw in the fact that Chicago accents were not in line with typical American English and someone threw a hissy fit because they don't like that idea just because.

If I liked accents to the level of considering it utmost important, I would pick somewhere in the Lower Midwest. On that basis alone. But that's not my entire argument. My reply was to steeps who thinks considering religion is insignificant.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:56 PM

White ethnic demographics in the city propers (Irish + Italian + Polish + Russian + Greek + Hungarian + Ukranian). First Ancestry Reported. In parentheses is the % of the city's Non-Hispanic White population.

Chicago - 399,249 (45.9%)
Philadelphia - 302,841 (53.9%)

If we look at geographic concentrations (zip codes) of certain groups within the city limits, we get the following. These are the number of zip codes within the Top 100 in the U.S. for each particular group.

Polish (Chicago 2, Philly 1)

60634 - 31.4%
60638 - 30.2%
19137 - 28.6%

Irish (Chicago 1, Philly 1)

19113 - 48.9%
60655 - 38.2%

Italian (Chicago 0, Philly 3)

19113 - 37.0%
19148 - 36.6%
19145 - 34.4%

Ukranian (Chicago 0, Philly 2)

19116 - 5.8%
19115 - 5.7%

Old 07-27-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I said that Chicago's larger number of European immigration presently gives it a less American feel.
As I said earlier, only 6.9% of Chicago's Whites were born in Europe. That means 93.1% of the White population has no connection to the "old world."

Old 07-27-2016, 07:13 PM

7,328 posts, read 8,987,116 times
Quote:
But Chicago has other European immigrant ethnic groups besides the four you highlighted ( esp other Eastern European), and many midwestern cities , like Chicago, have large numbers of German descendents..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or