U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American
New York City 35 16.20%
Miami 1 0.46%
Chicago 108 50.00%
Los Angeles 6 2.78%
Dallas 16 7.41%
Washington D.C. 12 5.56%
Atlanta 8 3.70%
Phoenix 6 2.78%
Seattle 1 0.46%
Philadelphia 23 10.65%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 05:13 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,858,620 times

Advertisements

What major city in America would you say embody what people would view or describe as "American"?
In what order would you rank them for the most American versus the least American?

Its may not be accurate but its a matter of perception on what the world identifies us with.So what city does that the "best" and the "least"?

Last edited by afonega1; 05-15-2015 at 05:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 05:17 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,334,473 times
There is no quintessential American city; America is too diverse. New York City is just as quintessentially American as Tupelo, Mississippi, which is as quintessentially American as Tuba City, Arizona. That's what makes this country such a wonderfully exciting, special place! I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:18 PM

I would rank them like this:

1.Chicago
2.Philadelphia
3.Atlanta
4.Dallas
5.D.C.
6.NYC
7.Seattle
8.Phoenix
9.Los Angeles
10.Miami

Old 05-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
There is no quintessential American city. America is too diverse to have one. New York City is just as quintessentially American as Oxford, Mississippi, which is as quintessentially American as Santa Fe, New Mexico. That's why makes this country so wonderfully exciting!
When people think of every country they have an image.It may not be accurate but that image is what drives peoples perceptions.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:23 PM

252 posts, read 251,327 times
Greenville SC is now America's city.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:28 PM

1,775 posts, read 2,334,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
When people think of every country they have an image.It may not be accurate but that image is what drives peoples perceptions.
And those images are different from culture to culture. An Australian's stereotype of America is going to be different from a North Korean's stereotype of America. Every country's media is going to depict American in different ways and with different biases.

From my travel's abroad (mostly South America and the Middle East), the most common stereotypes about America relate to Al Capone and the old-school gangs of the 20's, hurricanes, and George W. Bush. From talking to the people I've met in those countries, I'd guess that their stereotypical image of America is probably a cross between Chicago and New Orleans. Whereas, I've heard that the cowboy/wild West stereotype is more prevalent in Italy and France (all those spaghetti Westerns I guess).

It's nave to think that foreigners have a singular, monolithic image of American painted in their minds. They're not stupid, and they are well aware that rural Texas, Hollywood, and NYC are all very different places.

By the way, I think your poll is totally random.

Last edited by Dawn.Davenport; 05-15-2015 at 05:45 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 05:30 PM

5,286 posts, read 3,807,303 times
There are several major cities missing from this poll, but of the choices given, my vote would be Chicago due to its central location. Dallas is central but its also located in Texas, which has too much of its own distinct culture to be considered quintessentially American.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn.Davenport View Post
And those images are different from culture to culture. An Australian's stereotype of America is going to be different from a North Korean's stereotype of America. Every country's media is going to depict American in different ways and with different biases.

From my travel's abroad (mostly South America and the Middle East), the most common stereotypes about America relate to Al Capone and the old-school gangs of the 20's, hurricanes, and George W. Bush. From talking to the people I've met in those countries, I'd guess that their stereotypical image of America is probably a cross between Chicago and New Orleans. Whereas, I've heard that the cowboy/wild West stereotype is more prevalent in Italy and France (all those spaghetti Westerns I guess).

It's nave to think that foreigners have a singular, monolithic image of American painted in their minds. They're not stupid, and they are well aware that rural Texas, Hollywood, and NYC are all very different places.

By the way, I think your poll is totally random.
Im not quite concerned with what you think of the poll but the question I asked/If you choose not to answer thats your prerogative but stop derailing thread and move on.I don't need your remarks as to why I asked a simple question that is totallu hypothetical but you act like you need a dissertation to give an answer.
Its just not that serious.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:43 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,843,939 times
Philadelphia- The birthplace
DC- The Capital
NYC- The alpha world city.
The South- is also quintessentially american

All other cities/places in America could fit easily into canada, mexico, and the Caribbean/latin america.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 PM

3,280 posts, read 3,543,825 times
I'd say NYC because it's so full of people from different backgrounds/cultures, just like the US. Aside from Indians, there really are no "Native Americans". America as we know it is a melting pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or