U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which city is more dangerous in the 90's?
Washington DC 25 36.23%
New York 11 15.94%
Chicago 8 11.59%
Los Angeles 10 14.49%
Detroit 13 18.84%
Philadelphia 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2015, 01:02 PM
 
6,795 posts, read 6,588,241 times
Reputation: 5411

Advertisements

Wow, Atlanta was super dangerous in the 90s. Most dangerous city in the country. Probably because drugs coming up from Florida. It was a gateway and logistic center for the drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: O4W
3,744 posts, read 3,530,393 times
Reputation: 2045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Wow, Atlanta was super dangerous in the 90s. Most dangerous city in the country. Probably because drugs coming up from Florida. It was a gateway and logistic center for the drugs.
It was mainly because of all the housing projects that were in the city of Atlanta back then. Housing projects + crack = craziness. Mostly all of them are gone now


BTW, Atlanta had the first housing project in America called "Techwood Homes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 01:41 PM
 
Location: California → Tennessee → Ohio
1,399 posts, read 2,154,806 times
Reputation: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Chicago had over 900 murders in 1993
OMG.

LA County had over 2,500 murders in 1992!

Homicides in 1992 Set Record for L.A. County : Violence: 2,589 killings in 1992 represent an 8% rise over previous year - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 06:17 PM
 
1,227 posts, read 897,413 times
Reputation: 921
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy92832 View Post
LA County had over 9 million people. Chicago 2.7 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Seattle aka tier 3 city :)
1,078 posts, read 893,983 times
Reputation: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyg2014 View Post
LA County had over 9 million people. Chicago 2.7 million.
And you think all those murders were spread out equally in the county? You think all of Chicago's MSA (9 million) had 2500 murders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 07:12 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 7,887,567 times
Reputation: 2492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
And you think all those murders were spread out equally in the county? You think all of Chicago's MSA (9 million) had 2500 murders?
Who cares? You think someone is going to give you a cookie if your city had more murders? And for the record, Chicago had a higher murder rate and violent crime rate than LA throughout the 90s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Seattle aka tier 3 city :)
1,078 posts, read 893,983 times
Reputation: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
Who cares? You think someone is going to give you a cookie if your city had more murders? And for the record, Chicago had a higher murder rate and violent crime rate than LA throughout the 90s.
It's always easier for a smaller city to have a higher per capita, so your point is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 10:09 PM
 
Location: the future
1,751 posts, read 3,273,083 times
Reputation: 759
[quote=rah;40626770]Yeah it is kind of surprising. SF has the higher violent crime rate going back to at least 1985 too (can't find older stats). Philly has had the higher rate since 1996 though, and has always had a much higher murder rate than SF, and a higher rape rate. SF had the higher total violent crime rate in the past because it had a significantly higher robbery and assault rate than Philly.

The city that surprises me most though is Portland, OR, with an average violent crime rate of 1852.3 during the early 90s ( which is basically the rate that Oakland has now). It's mostly because of a very high assault rate...the rape rate was really high too compared to many other cities, though robbery and murder were relatively low.

Here are some more stats:

Cities that had more than 100 murders from 1990-1995:

1. New York City, NY - 11,078
2. Los Angeles, CA - 5,874
3. Chicago, IL - 5,311
4. Detroit, MI - 3,387
5. Houston, TX - 2,778
6. Philadelphia, PA - 2,643
7. Washington DC - 2,611
8. Dallas, TX - 2,222
9. New Orleans, LA - 2,110
10. Baltimore, MD - 1,940
11. St. Louis, MO - 1,387
12. Atlanta, GA - 1,212
13. San Antonio, TX - 1,191
14. Memphis, TN - 1,078
15. Phoenix, AZ - 995
16. Cleveland, OH - 928


DC and New Orleans are the only cities in the top 10 list that have over 2,000 murders with the smallest populations during these times hence why there were the murder capital of the 90's, This has been dissected already. DC was murder capital 7 times in the 90's and New Orleans about 3. There are stats to show this folks. Since then its been New Orleans. The only reason Detroit got so much attention is because DC fell significantly after 2004. DC still led the nation in murder rates in 2002 even since when New Orleans took reign. IF you are talking about the most Dangerous city for violent crime then its obviously Atlanta and Miami, however looking at the list neither of the two are no where near the top cities for murders. So again the most murderous cities in the 90's WAS DC and NEW ORLEANS....The most dangerous at the top was Atlanta and Miami. Where's Aceter at?

Last edited by boreatwork; 07-30-2015 at 10:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 10:25 PM
 
Location: the future
1,751 posts, read 3,273,083 times
Reputation: 759
Default boredatwork

DC's average rate for the 90's was 67.2



1989 604,000 10,293.4 2,141.9 8,151.5 71.9 30.8 1,083.1 956.1 1,950.3 4,828.5 1,372.7
Forcible Aggravated Larceny- Vehicle
Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Rape Robbery assault Burglary Theft Theft
1990 606,900 10,774.3 2,458.2 8,316.0 77.8 49.9 1,213.5 1,117.0 1,983.0 4,996.9 1,336.1
1991 598,000 10,768.1 2,453.3 8,314.7 80.6 35.8 1,215.6 1,121.4 2,074.4 4,879.9 1,360.4
1992 589,000 11,407.0 2,832.8 8,574.2 75.2 36.5 1,266.4 1,454.7 1,820.2 5,205.9 1,548.0
1993 578,000 11,761.1 2,921.8 8,839.3 78.5 56.1 1,229.6 1,557.6 1,995.5 5,449.0 1,394.8
1994 570,000 11,085.3 2,662.6 8,422.6 70.0 43.7 1,107.2 1,441.8 1,760.9 5,212.5 1,449.3
1995 554,000 12,173.5 2,661.4 9,512.1 65.0 52.7 1,239.0 1,304.7 1,838.4 5,833.8 1,839.9
1996 543,000 11,896.7 2,469.8 9,426.9 73.1 47.9 1,186.7 1,162.1 1,809.9 5,779.9 1,837.0
1997 529,000 9,839.1 2,024.2 7,814.9 56.9 41.2 850.9 1,075.2 1,316.3 5,067.9 1,430.8
1998 523,000 8,835.6 1,718.5 7,117.0 49.7 36.3 689.5 943.0 1,216.3 4,657.7 1,243.0
1999 519,000 8,067.1 1,627.7 6,439.3 46.4 47.8 644.3 889.2 976.3 4,181.3 1,281.7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2015, 10:47 PM
 
Location: MPLS/CHI
553 posts, read 445,902 times
Reputation: 382
A lot of the larger cities have more good areas to skew the numbers. I know we have to judge the cities as a whole, but it's debatable that the bad areas of NYC, LA. and Chicago were worse than some cities with a higher crime rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top