U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 03:20 PM

15,404 posts, read 24,386,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And that's certainly a big factor. But it's not the reason why educational attainment is higher among Hispanics in the DC area. Educational attainment among all groups tends to be higher in the DC metro area.
I never said it was THE reason but might might help explain why the educational attainment is higher. Overall educational attainment between the Bay Area and DC is pretty close with DC being a little higher but they differ more so when it comes to Hispanics and part of that could be a result of the Bay Area being a bigger gateway into the US for Hispanics than DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 03:25 PM

27,611 posts, read 24,802,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I never said it was THE reason but might might help explain why the educational attainment is higher. Overall educational attainment between the Bay Area and DC is pretty close with DC being a little higher but they differ more so when it comes to Hispanics and part of that could be a result of the Bay Area being a bigger gateway into the US for Hispanics than DC.
Yes, the percentages will certainly be lower if your city is near the Mexican border.

My only point was that all ethnic groups in DC are relatively well-educated.

I was a bit surprised that the NY metro has more college-educated Hispanics than the L.A. metro. I obviously expected the percentage to be higher but not the raw number.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, the percentages will certainly be lower if your city is near the Mexican border.

My only point was that all ethnic groups in DC are relatively well-educated.

I was a bit surprised that the NY metro has more college-educated Hispanics than the L.A. metro. I obviously expected the percentage to be higher but not the raw number.
If the majority of NYC's Hispanic population is Puerto Rican then they probably don't face quite the same barriers a lot of Mexicans in CA do seeing as they are US citizens. Just a theory...

Old 05-18-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
If the majority of NYC's Hispanic population is Puerto Rican then they probably don't face quite the same barriers a lot of Mexicans in CA do seeing as they are US citizens. Just a theory...
Puerto Ricans are about 28% of the Hispanic population. But yes, I was thinking the same thing. Yet it seems L.A. would have a lot of second-generation Hispanics now.

Here are the foreign born/native stats for Hispanics.

Los Angeles
Born in US or overseas territory: 3,468,264
Foreign born: 2,389,094

New York
Born in US or overseas territory: 2,545,181
Foreign born: 1,963,297

DC Metro
Born in US or overseas territory: 359,188
Foreign born: 451,525

San Francisco MSA
Born in US or overseas territory: 567,918
Foreign born: 406,863

Miami
Born in US or overseas territory: 950,607
Foreign born: 1,468,834

Houston
Born in US or overseas territory: 1,350,944
Foreign born: 877,960

Los Angeles has nearly 1 million more U.S. born Hispanics. So the large PR population here can only be part of the explanation.

Miami and DC are the two metros that have more foreign born than native born Hispanics and concidentally have the highest percentages of educational attainment among Hispanics.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-18-2015 at 03:55 PM..

Old 05-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Some more interesting info, done by city not metro though.

2014’s Best and Worst Cities for Hispanic Entrepreneurs | WalletHub®

Old 05-18-2015, 03:53 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,430,929 times
Quote:
We already know L.A. County has a large Hispanic population. But only 10-11% have a college degree or higher. That's lower than the educational attainment rate among non-Hispanic Blacks in the city of Detroit.

I would say Miami and DC are the only cities I've been to where I've really met a lot of college-educated Hispanics (though the Hispanic % in DC is not that high). NYC is third. I thought the Bay Area would be higher but it's actually quite a bit lower than DC and Miami as far as educational attainment goes.
I don't see why you find that so surprising.That's basically because blacks don't have the language barrier that many Hispanics have to deal with, nor do they have the cultural assmilation issues that many first, second, and sometimes even third generation Hispanics have. That's why outside of a handful of places like Texas, California, or parts of Florida where Hispanics undoubtedly constitute a majority compared to blacks, a lot of people still find it hard to believe or take serious that Hispanics have overtaken blacks as the new "it" or biggest minority in America.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I don't see why you find that so surprising.That's basically because blacks don't have the language barrier that many Hispanics have to deal with, nor do they have the cultural assmilation issues that many first, second, and sometimes even third generation Hispanics have. That's why a lot of people still find it hard to believe or take serious that Hispanics have overtaken blacks as the new "it" or biggest minority in America.
Did you see the data I posted? The Washington, DC MSA has more foreign born Hispanics than the San Francisco MSA (yet a higher % of educational attainment among Hispanics).

To be clear, I wasn't talking generally about Black vs Hispanic educational attainment. I was talking about educational attainment among Hispanics in the Bay Area compared to that of Hispanics in DC and Miami.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:03 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Damn if I'm Hispanic than I have got to move to DC. If I'm white I should move to Boston right? Ok, white people, I will see you in Boston.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:08 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,117,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
Damn if I'm Hispanic than I have got to move to DC. If I'm white I should move to Boston right? Ok, white people, I will see you in Boston.
Don't worry about it - I'm a Southeast Asian Muslim who grew up in a mostly Hispanic neighborhood. I'm pretty sure most people don't really understand what that entails, so they'd rather pretend I don't exist.

People love pigeonholing. That's what I've learned about adulthood. You can't succeed as an individual: your success is DIRECTLY TIED to whatever group someone wants to pigeonhole you in.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:12 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,167,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Don't worry about it: I'm a Southeast Asian Muslim. I'm pretty sure most people don't really understand what that entails, so they'd rather pretend I don't exist.

People love pigeonholing. That's what I've learned about adulthood. You can't succeed as an individual: your success is DIRECTLY TIED to whatever group someone wants to pigeonhole you in.
Omg... A rational person. I'm black so I get it apparently I need a steady stream of wealthy AA's and clubs to enjoy my culture. I like all that but how about the best city for raising a decent individual... And they wonder why race relations in this country are so messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City