Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:30 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,991,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I didn't say anything about segregation. I said that it's sad that their numbers are so paltry given their overwhelming numbers in the state of California. Statistically speaking, you should have more than one upper middle class Hispanic neighborhood in the state.

Besides, I hate using the word people use "segregate" when it comes to minorities as if it's the same type of "segregation" that occurred in the early to mid 20th century.
So exclusive neighborhoods for Hispanics? They live everywhere they don't need exclusive neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:31 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not necessarily imo. I can see how it would seem nice to have middle to upper middle class predominantly- Hispanic communities but it's still segregation basically. I don't really see why it's so bad if most middle to upper middle class Hispanics are mixed in with other racial/ethnic groups with where they live.
Yeah, most of the well-to-do Hispanics live in areas that are mixed in with other racial/ethnic groups. Tustin is 40% Hispanic, and no one thinks of it as a "Hispanic area", just that it's a nice area. Mission Hills is one of the nicer neighborhoods of the SFV (median household income $75,000), and it's around 80% Hispanic. No one thinks of it as a "Hispanic area".

I don't get this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT9 View Post
Some cities have a more robust Hispanic culture than others. What's the problem with trying to identify those cities?

Obviously anyone can do well just about anywhere in the country regardless of their background, but identifying places where various minority groups have done well for whatever reason is not the same as trying to "hem them into containment areas"

Yeah, I'm sure LISTING PERCENTAGES and implying that Hispanics solely belong in areas with other Hispanics isn't a form of trying to hem them in.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:32 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
I didn't say anything about segregation. I said that it's sad that their numbers are so paltry given their overwhelming numbers in the state of California. Statistically speaking, you should have more than one upper middle class Hispanic neighborhood in the state.

Besides, I hate using the word people use "segregate" when it comes to minorities as if it's the same type of "segregation" that occurred in the early to mid 20th century.
But you're basically saying that it's sad there are no predominately Hispanic middle to upper middle class neighborohoods, so it's sad they don't segregate themselves versus being spread out among all of the middle/upper middle class communities in general.

If they just spread themselves out rather than segregate into specific neighborhoods/areas, why is that bad really?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:34 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
So exclusive neighborhoods for Hispanics? They live everywhere they don't need exclusive neighborhoods.
The word "exclusive" was nowhere in my statement. But there are plenty of exclusive Hispanic neighborhoods in California and the United States in general. Many of the people living in those neighborhoods are poor, though.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
But you're basically saying that it's sad there are no predominately Hispanic middle to upper middle class neighborohoods, so it's sad they don't segregate themselves versus being spread out among all of the middle/upper middle class communities in general.
Yeah, I do think it's sad. It would be nice to experience Hispanic cultures in a variety of socioeconomic settings and not just in El Barrio. Unfortunately, it seems we only have Hispanics who have assimilated into the mainstream, NHW American paradigm or ghettos. There's not much of an in between there. And yes, I find that to be a bit sad.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,593,514 times
You know what's even more sad: how every minority group is supposed to create a parallel society among ourselves instead of trying to integrate more into greater society.

Nothing says progression than trying to wall ourselves off from everyone.

It is what it is. Either you accept it or you don't.

Quote:
Yeah, I do think it's sad. It would be nice to experience Hispanic cultures in a variety of socioeconomic settings and not just in El Barrio. Unfortunately, it seems we only have Hispanics who have assimilated into the mainstream, NHW American paradigm or ghettos. There's not much of an in between there. And yes, I find that to be a bit sad.
Only in YOUR mind do you feel you can experience Hispanic culture in "El Barrio." Is the only "real" culture that exists is the culture of the poor and not upwardly mobile? How do you think the wealthy of South and Central America live?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
The word "exclusive" was nowhere in my statement. But there are plenty of exclusive Hispanic neighborhoods in California and the United States in general. Many of the people living in those neighborhoods are poor, though.
Quote:
Hispanics make up around 39% of California's population yet we've only been able to identify one solidly upper middle class Hispanic neighborhood in the state thus far.
You didn't say exclusive but even if not "exclusive" you are implying majority. Like PG County or Decatur or Cascade for blacks. Like, being around the highest percentage and richest means the best. IN CA, you have rich next to house rich.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Woah.... that is not true what so ever.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:45 PM

So anyways...there's only one largely Hispanic upper middle class neighborhood in California?

Old 05-18-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
So anyways...there's only one largely Hispanic upper middle class neighborhood in California?
NO man they live everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City