U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Where would you rather visit?
Las Vegas 108 50.47%
New Orleans 106 49.53%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 09-25-2015, 01:50 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,261,122 times
Reputation: 2871

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
The pubs. The Pho joints in Chinatown. The Mexican joints on the east side. Some of those are authentic and the cuisine may be too much for Gringo taste buds.
Come on. Vegas does in fact, like every other metro, have authentic ethnic foods (been there, have friends there, and so on). But there are far less Mexicans in Vegas than there are in Chicago. So if you ever end up in northeastern Illinois, you might want to be extra careful of the "authenticity" - might be too much for you. See how ridiculous that statement was?

You'll also find tons of bad and mediocre spots. By % at least, you can wander randomly in NOLA and generally be impressed. This is not the case in Vegas, or really most cities across the country. Which is why I personally (and most others) prefer the food in NOLA.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2015, 02:15 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,425,552 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Come on. Vegas does in fact, like every other metro, have authentic ethnic foods (been there, have friends there, and so on). But there are far less Mexicans in Vegas than there are in Chicago. So if you ever end up in northeastern Illinois, you might want to be extra careful of the "authenticity" - might be too much for you. See how ridiculous that statement was?

You'll also find tons of bad and mediocre spots. By % at least, you can wander randomly in NOLA and generally be impressed. This is not the case in Vegas, or really most cities across the country. Which is why I personally (and most others) prefer the food in NOLA.
Sorry. Las Vegas is 30% Hispanic. Well past Chicago. And that is Clark County. The city of Las Vegas is 1/3 Hispanic. And the east side is over 60% Hispanic. There are Mexican regional places playing to the Hispanic population. Some of the sauces are hot enough to be difficult.

Why would one who lacks even basic knowledge about LV choose to comment on it?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles,CA & Scottsdale, AZ
1,904 posts, read 1,586,653 times
Reputation: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Come on. Vegas does in fact, like every other metro, have authentic ethnic foods (been there, have friends there, and so on). But there are far less Mexicans in Vegas than there are in Chicago. So if you ever end up in northeastern Illinois, you might want to be extra careful of the "authenticity" - might be too much for you. See how ridiculous that statement was?

You'll also find tons of bad and mediocre spots. By % at least, you can wander randomly in NOLA and generally be impressed. This is not the case in Vegas, or really most cities across the country. Which is why I personally (and most others) prefer the food in NOLA.
Yes but the thing is that probs over 95 percent of hispanics in LV are mexican where in chicago I think the numbers are 78 percent, although chicago might have more mexicans in sheer numbers they do not influence the culture of chicago or the midwest like they do LV area and the southwest/west coast, I think that is the point he was trying to get at. I do agree with you on "authenticity" though haha it was a pretty bold statement that was not correct.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,261,122 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Sorry. Las Vegas is 30% Hispanic. Well past Chicago. And that is Clark County. The city of Las Vegas is 1/3 Hispanic. And the east side is over 60% Hispanic. There are Mexican regional places playing to the Hispanic population. Some of the sauces are hot enough to be difficult.

Why would one who lacks even basic knowledge about LV choose to comment on it?
There are many more Mexicans in Chicago vs Vegas. PERIOD.

The sauces in traditional Vegas joints aren't any hotter. Just give it up - you have no idea what you're talking about.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 02:35 PM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,425,552 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
There are many more Mexicans in Chicago vs Vegas. PERIOD.

The sauces in traditional Vegas joints aren't any hotter. Just give it up - you have no idea what you're talking about.
Not as a percentage there aren't. Las Vegas has 10% more.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:49 AM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,261,122 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Not as a percentage there aren't. Las Vegas has 10% more.
Who cares? Theba, Arizona is 96% hispanic, which is way higher than Vegas. That adds up to like 150 people, but STILL. It wins.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 11:02 AM
 
12,973 posts, read 12,425,552 times
Reputation: 5409
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Who cares? Theba, Arizona is 96% hispanic, which is way higher than Vegas. That adds up to like 150 people, but STILL. It wins.
You continue to try to win an argument by loudness. Does not work.

The question was ethnic Mexican restaurants. the cities were Chicago and Las Vegas. In these two large population cities there are relatively more Mexicans in Las Vegas than in Chicago.

There - did I make it simple enough for you?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,261,122 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You continue to try to win an argument by loudness. Does not work.

The question was ethnic Mexican restaurants. the cities were Chicago and Las Vegas. In these two large population cities there are relatively more Mexicans in Las Vegas than in Chicago.

There - did I make it simple enough for you?
There are more Mexicans and more Mexican restaurants in Chicago. Makes sense. You were talking about restaurants, which launched this digression, correct? And how "gringos" would find Vegas so foreign and bizarre they wouldn't be able to handle their tacos?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 AM
 
Location: District of Columbia
737 posts, read 1,383,111 times
Reputation: 465
I've hung out and partied in both and NOLA wins it for me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas NV
5 posts, read 3,682 times
Reputation: 10
there are plenty of things to do in Vegas besides gamble! Depending upon the time of year you visit, you can ski here up on Mt. Charleston. You can go hiking, ride horses at Red Rock. You can go ride ATVs in Sandy Valley. Go visit Hoover Dam, take a bus ride to the Grand Canyon.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top