Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather visit?
Las Vegas 110 50.23%
New Orleans 109 49.77%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 03:32 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Except that's not true. Outside of the French Quarter, NOLA still have several historic and interesting districts and neighborhoods in their own right. It would be more akin to, say, Richmond, VA.
There's also the music, the food, and its strong record of hosting major sporting events.

New Orleans is more than just one district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 03:37 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
There's also the music, the food, and its strong record of hosting major sporting events.

New Orleans is more than just one district.
Not just major sporting events, but major gatherings in general. NOLA definitely isn't a one-trick pony.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,682,715 times
I'd visit NOLA a million times before going to Vegas. It is the absolutely last place in North America that I'd like to visit.
I don't get the appeal at all. It is so ugly and creepy. It seems to embody everything that I hate about everywhere else but most other places have inherent charm.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:06 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
I chose LV simply because it's a bigger destination, but I would much rather tour and visit NOLA.

Old 06-08-2015, 04:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I'd visit NOLA a million times before going to Vegas. It is the absolutely last place in North America that I'd like to visit.
I don't get the appeal at all. It is so ugly and creepy. It seems to embody everything that I hate about everywhere else but most other places have inherent charm.
I say the same thing about New Orleans. lol The area around downtown is so downtrodden and creepy, and the areas outside the city are also in shambles. At least Vegas is clean, and the weather and surrounding scenery are majestic. Go inland from NO and youll wanna kill yourself, its depressing.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:05 PM

1,901 posts, read 3,084,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
I will be in New Orleans this coming weekend. Looking forward to it, the city is always a lot of fun.
Its a great time to visit. There's a Creole food festival taking place in the French Market from the 11th to the 14th. Enjoy!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:08 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
Its a great time to visit. There's a Creole food festival taking place in the French Market from the 11th to the 14th. Enjoy!
I definitely will enjoy it and am looking forward to it. I've been talking to friends here in Miami for the last one week about it, constantly hyping it up, my friends here don't know what Creole food is, they've never had it before and they'll be in a whole new world when we get to New Orleans on Friday night. A lot of them have never been to New Orleans before, so the entire visit will be like a whole new world to these guys.

For what it is worth, it is in one of my favorite cities in the United States for both visiting and living in scenarios.

I know this thread isn't asking for it but I could live in either of these cities. Probably not something most people on this forum would say, but I am not "most people." I could live in either (but vastly prefer New Orleans to Las Vegas).

Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I say the same thing about New Orleans. lol The area around downtown is so downtrodden and creepy, and the areas outside the city are also in shambles. At least Vegas is clean, and the weather and surrounding scenery are majestic. Go inland from NO and youll wanna kill yourself, its depressing.
What area around downtown? New Orleans is historic city with several districts and neighborhoods surrounding downtown. Faubourg Marigny, Mid City, Algiers, the Garden District, Lower Garden District, Uptown, etc. are anything but downtrodden and creepy. And there are some pretty nice suburbs of the city as well that are hardly depressing. The fact of the matter is that New Orleans is a historic, authentic city in a culturally unique region with all of the good and bad that that entails, like most cities whose dynamics and character have been shaped over time. Vegas is pretty much the complete antithesis of this and unfortunately, it makes for a less interesting city overall. But that's pretty much deliberate on the part of Vegas, so it is what it is.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:14 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
I'm gonna be in Vegas this weekend and going to be in New Orleans in September. Excited for both.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:13 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The same can be said for the areas surrounding downtown Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City