U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 02:49 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,727,471 times

Advertisements

As a Dominican American myself, it depends on how you want to define the "South". On strictly technical, U.S. Census terms, Delaware, where me and my large, extended Dominican family now lives, is considered Southern. If we go by this definition, DE for sure. Wilmington is simply an extension of Philadelphia in real life, and has a significant PR/DR population as a result.

But if we're talking the real South, Atlanta. There's a sizeable community there. I've had some of my best nights at the Havana Club lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2016, 01:24 PM

218 posts, read 203,223 times
I wouldnt consider Delaware and Maryland the South. Maybe they were historically in the 1800s, and might still be consider that by Government census standards. But culturally, they Northeast, especially DE. In fact, the tiny state of Delaware has a fast growing Puerto Rican population, and PRs and DRs can be seen throughout the state. In Maryland, alot of them are going to Baltimore city and PG county.

Now for the actual South: its
1. Florida
2. Texas, Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia (TX & the Atlantic south)
3. The rest of the South

I actually think that the Puerto Rican and Dominican populations in Virginia and North Carolina are growing faster then the ones in Georgia.

Virginia has Northern VA, Richmond area, and Hampton Roads. The latter 2 have higher percentages of Puerto Ricans then the national average, which is not really common outside the Northeast and Florida. North Carolina has the Raleigh, Charlotte, Greensboro, and Fayetteville areas. While Georgia largely just has the Atlanta area thats it. And South Carolina has nothing comparable to VA, NC, or GA.
However those 3 states together have about 300,000 Puerto Ricans and 75,000 Dominicans, and both these groups are growing relatively fast in all 3 states.

On a side note, the nationwide PR population is much larger than the DR population, but they have identical cultures (especially to non-Hispanics), as well as similar geographical settlement patterns and racial ancestries.

Last edited by phillydominican; 01-02-2016 at 01:45 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 01:53 PM

184 posts, read 125,267 times
Puerto Ricans:

Virginia: many areas in Northern VA have small numbers. Also the Richmond area (especially Southside/Chesterfield and Tri cities Petersburg/Hopewell). A large number is widespread throughout the Hampton roads region, especially Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport news, Hampton, and Williamsburg/York county, Hampton roads Ricans are really spread out and integrated among blacks n whites, unlike cities up north.

North Carolina: sizable numbers in the Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. To a lesser degree, smaller numbers are growing in Greensboro and small cities in eastern NC like Fayetteville and Greenville.

Georgia: A large number in the Atlanta area, more widespread throughout the eastern portion, especially Gwinnett county. Small numbers also in southern Georgia cities like Savannah and Columbus.

Texas: mainly Houston, smaller numbers growing in San Antonio, Dallas, and Killeen.

The Puerto Rican community has a higher than average rate of military involvement, and that's partly why some of these metropolitan areas have sizable PR populations.

Dominicans are largely going to the same places as Ricans, just in lesser numbers, especially Atlanta, DC area, Raleigh, and Charlotte. But overall Atlanta and DC are big on non-mexican Hispanics and Caribbean ppl, not as big as NY or FL, but still very big.

Areas in SC like Charleston and Greenville are also getting tiny populations of these groups.

Although I dont consider Maryland and Delaware "the south", ima include them. They both have large populations widespread throughout Delaware, especially Ricans. Throughout New castle county, especially around wilmington, which is technically apart of the Philly metro. Dover also has many Ricans. In Maryland, small Puerto Rican and Dominican populations are emerging in southeast Baltimore/Dundalk and the DC/Bmore suburbs through out Central maryland.

Last edited by DarkLoFan; 07-19-2016 at 03:09 PM..

Old 07-20-2016, 08:22 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,771,116 times
Just as a word of warning: Yes, the percentages are higher in Virginia (Richmond/Hampton Roads) than other areas but when you are talking 1% & 1.8%, there is not a big impact on the overall area. It's nice to know that folks are out there and that you can do an intense search for the small handful of authentic spots, but the community is still very small. I have lived in Virginia most of my life and haven't come across a Puerto Rican neighborhood yet.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:09 AM

184 posts, read 125,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Just as a word of warning: Yes, the percentages are higher in Virginia (Richmond/Hampton Roads) than other areas but when you are talking 1% & 1.8%, there is not a big impact on the overall area. It's nice to know that folks are out there and that you can do an intense search for the small handful of authentic spots, but the community is still very small. I have lived in Virginia most of my life and haven't come across a Puerto Rican neighborhood yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLoFan View Post
Puerto Ricans:

Virginia: many areas in Northern VA have small numbers. Also the Richmond area (especially Southside/Chesterfield and Tri cities Petersburg/Hopewell). A large number is widespread throughout the Hampton roads region, especially Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Newport news, Hampton, and Williamsburg/York county, Hampton roads Ricans are really spread out and integrated among blacks n whites, unlike cities up north.

North Carolina: sizable numbers in the Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte. To a lesser degree, smaller numbers are growing in Greensboro and small cities in eastern NC like Fayetteville and Greenville.

Georgia: A large number in the Atlanta area, more widespread throughout the eastern portion, especially Gwinnett county. Small numbers also in southern Georgia cities like Savannah and Columbus.

Texas: mainly Houston, smaller numbers growing in San Antonio, Dallas, and Killeen.

The Puerto Rican community has a higher than average rate of military involvement, and that's partly why some of these metropolitan areas have sizable PR populations.

Dominicans are largely going to the same places as Ricans, just in lesser numbers, especially Atlanta, DC area, Raleigh, and Charlotte. But overall Atlanta and DC are big on non-mexican Hispanics and Caribbean ppl, not as big as NY or FL, but still very big.

Areas in SC like Charleston and Greenville are also getting tiny populations of these groups.

Although I dont consider Maryland and Delaware "the south", ima include them. They both have large populations widespread throughout Delaware, especially Ricans. Throughout New castle county, especially around wilmington, which is technically apart of the Philly metro. Dover also has many Ricans. In Maryland, small Puerto Rican and Dominican populations are emerging in southeast Baltimore/Dundalk and the DC/Bmore suburbs through out Central maryland.
.....Tho, the percentages are higher then most of the rest of the country, they still lower then Florida and the Northeastern states, plus they heavily spread out and integrated among blacks and whites, so there probably won't be a neighborhood mostly dominated by Puerto Ricans. However I would say they are slightly more concentrated in certain areas. In the Richmond area, Ricans are more common south of the james, especially in the Tri cities. In the Hampton roads, they widespread throughout all major urban cities like Norfolk, VA beach, Newport news, but slightly more common on da Virginia peninsula/york county. But overall they're spread out, not like the Northeast

Last edited by DarkLoFan; 07-20-2016 at 11:21 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 11:52 AM

1,724 posts, read 1,102,763 times
Baltimore and DC aren't Southern cities culturally, politically, or linguistically, so they need to be left out of this discussion.

Old 12-28-2017, 07:20 PM

6 posts, read 4,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Fayetteville NC fits: North Carolina Puerto Rican Hispanic Population Percentage City Rank Based on US Census 2010 data

Communities with a military presence may fit.
Compared to major cities, I think the percentages of the bottom 2 military city/towns are pretty significant.

Puerto Ricans
Fayetteville, NC: 7,526 (3.8%)
Hinesville, Ga: 2,651 (5.3%)

The below are data for the cities themselves, NOT their metro area.

Puerto Ricans by percentage
Charlotte: 7,521 (1.0%)
DC: 3,129 (0.5%)
Atlanta: 2,258 (0.5%)
Houston: 9,290 (0.4%)
Dallas: 8,883 (0.4%)

Old 01-02-2018, 07:55 PM

190 posts, read 75,665 times
None really, although as others have stated, Atlanta probably takes the cake, followed by Houston.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:50 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 2,998,808 times
The largest Dominican by ancestry numbers in the US outside of the areas mentioned would be in DC, no matter what region you put it in.

Dominican
1. New York: 1,031,705 people
2. Boston: 119,412
3. Miami: 109,527
4. Providence: 50,460
5. Orlando: 46,918
6. Philadelphia: 39,218
7. Washington DC: 23,075
8. Tampa: 21,177
9. Allentown, PA: 17,803
10. Atlanta: 17,731

So technically outside of the "census designated" Northeast and Florida, DC comes in next.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:50 PM

11,493 posts, read 5,547,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
No. Chicago barely meets your 2% standard for Puerto Ricans.
I had no idea Chicago's Puerto Rican population was that small. Not that 2% of a major city is insignificant, but I figured it was more than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City