U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Reputation: 9775

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Canada is a part of the G-8, but Brazil is not. I mean really, is DC not one of the political power centers of the world?
Yes, but what does this have to do with anything? Why would some random Chinese person visit DC for leisure because DC is a world political power center? What does G-8 status, which concerns countries, not cities, have to do with urban tourist destinations?

The ranking is a comparative one, not an absolute one. The question about DC isn't related to DC's power, but rather to DC's tourist appeal relative to that of other U.S. cities. One would think that Chinese visitors tend to favor the West Coast, for obvious reasons, and NYC is NYC. I think outside of the West Coast and NYC, I would be slightly surprised to see another city rank extremely high, so I was mildly surprised to see DC ranked above Vegas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Canada is a part of the G-8, but Brazil is not. I mean really, is DC not one of the political power centers of the world?
For the average international tourist though, is it enough to warrant a very long trip? I think in the US we tend to overrated how much people from other countries are actually interested in our government enough to want to visit it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, but what does this have to do with anything? Why would some random Chinese person visit DC for leisure because DC is a world political power center?
To say s/he had been there! To say s/he saw the Capitol Building, the White House, etc. Maybe not the Smithsonian(s), or the Vietnam memorial, but certainly the seats of world power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 02:52 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,666,855 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
To say s/he had been there! To say s/he saw the Capitol Building, the White House, etc. Maybe not the Smithsonian(s), or the Vietnam memorial, but certainly the seats of world power.
You are very clearly American if you really think foreigners have "the Vietnam Memorial" on their bucket list. That's bizarre.

You don't seem to be understanding my point, so we'll leave it at that. You think foreign tourists are naturally attracted to cities for reasons very different than mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
To say s/he had been there! To say s/he saw the Capitol Building, the White House, etc. Maybe not the Smithsonian(s), or the Vietnam memorial, but certainly the seats of world power.
Sure, but enough to pay thousands of dollars and stay there for 3 days instead of other cities like NYC, Vegas, etc which are notoriously more fun? Let's put it this way - pretend the capital of England was actually in Birmingham and not London. Would you travel from the US to Birmingham just to see Big Ben, or would you travel to a notoriously more fun city like London and take a day trip to Birmingham, or skip it all together?

I'm telling you right now - most people here severely overrate how much foreign people actually care about various things/places in the US. You'd be surprised at how many people only know of various cities just because they have an NBA team there or of shows like CSI Miami - and many times those are the things these people only know about the cities. Even the known cities in the US like NYC, Vegas, LA, etc - the average international person is not going to know a ton about the city outside of "home of many immigrants" and "Empire State Building!" and "5th Avenue!" and "Hollywood Sign and walk of fame!" and "Statue of Liberty" and "The Strip!" And that doesn't mean they shouldn't visit, but the importance of things to international travelers is off from what the average American actually thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You are very clearly American if you really think foreigners have "the Vietnam Memorial" on their bucket list. That's bizarre.

You don't seem to be understanding my point, so we'll leave it at that. You think foreign tourists are naturally attracted to cities for reasons very different than mine.
What part of "maybe not the , , , Vietman memorial" do you not understand?

I think foreign tourists are in the US for the same reason(s) American tourists are overseas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:02 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
84,960 posts, read 98,795,031 times
Reputation: 31371
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Sure, but enough to pay thousands of dollars and stay there for 3 days instead of other cities like NYC, Vegas, etc which are notoriously more fun? Let's put it this way - pretend the capital of England was actually in Birmingham and not London. Would you travel from the US to Birmingham just to see Big Ben, or would you travel to a notoriously more fun city like London and take a day trip to Birmingham, or skip it all together?

I'm telling you right now - most people here severely overrate how much foreign people actually care about various things/places in the US. You'd be surprised at how many people only know of various cities just because they have an NBA team there or of shows like CSI Miami - and many times those are the things these people only know about the cities. Even the known cities in the US like NYC, Vegas, LA, etc - the average international person is not going to know a ton about the city outside of "home of many immigrants" and "Empire State Building!" and "5th Avenue!" and "Hollywood Sign and walk of fame!" and "Statue of Liberty" and "The Strip!" And that doesn't mean they shouldn't visit, but the importance of things to international travelers is off from what the average American actually thinks.
If the capital of England were Birmingham, it would not be like present-day Birmingham!

Vegas? H*ll, I've never been there, and I don't live that far away! You can go to a casino just about anywhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Status: "Ready for Fall" (set 20 days ago)
 
Location: Atlanta
4,644 posts, read 3,012,162 times
Reputation: 3857
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You are very clearly American if you really think foreigners have "the Vietnam Memorial" on their bucket list. That's bizarre.
And? What exactly is so negative about being 'clearly American?' It's her opinion, and a valid one. There is no reason to be as rude and dismissive as your continue to be in post after post when you disagree with someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:37 PM
 
Location: (six-cent-dix-sept)
3,964 posts, read 1,936,696 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Would you travel from the US to Birmingham just to see Big Ben, or would you travel to a notoriously more fun city like London and take a day trip to Birmingham, or skip it all together?
i know london gets a lot of tourists but i never heard it refered to as fun ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Miami-Jax
5,787 posts, read 6,339,183 times
Reputation: 3118
I will support NOLA. I am not at all surprised with DC. Simply being the US capitol puts it on the radar, and being in the NE corridor with NYC, Boston and Philly makes it convenient to visit. Believe it or not, I've heard silly things like the Cherry Blossom Festival discussed as a big draw.

Again, I speak from my own experiences. Certainly the fact that I lived in DC, worked for a Chinese business growing in DC, and had other friends who operate Chinese trade in the area, colors my impression.

One more thing I'll add...Chinese tourists want to travel EVERYWHERE. I think a lot may depend on THEIR specific circle of friends and spheres of influence, which can vary greatly as there are well over a billion of us of the Chinese diaspora. There are huge crowds of Chinese descending upon Omaha for God's sake, simply cause they want to see where Warren Buffet eats lunch. Amazingly, there are tons of Chinese in more rural areas or insular cities that don't even know who or what Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway are. So yeah, it shouldn't shock us that one personal reference might have a different view than another.

Oh yeah another thing...when I say Chinese I'm talking about the Chinese diaspora and not PRC specific. Much, though far from all, of my personal experience is non-PRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top