U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 01:41 PM

884 posts, read 711,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Let's not also forget he owns two homes alone in Laguna Beach (true story- read the book about him). When you have a private jet and two homes in Laguna Beach where you spend your free time I guess Omaha doesn't look so bad, but don't think Buffett spends his quality time there b/c he doesn't.
I guess I don't get know your version of "quality" time but he lives/works in Omaha where he spends and overwhelming majority of his time.

Also, I seriously doubt he owns two homes in Laguna Beach. Maybe an investment property at best...that wouldn't even make sense. I watched an hour long interview on CNN of Warren Buffet and he doesn't even drive a brand new car let alone owning two homes in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:06 PM

167 posts, read 154,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2eire View Post
I haven't seen too much of Pittsburg, so I'd say San Francisco.
I can't believe some arsehole gave me a thumbsdown just because I spelled Pittsburgh wrong. Talk about immature.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I'm going with Pittsburgh for several reasons. Its in the eastern U.S., but close to the midwest, lacks earthquakes and hurricanes, and it's laid-back and friendly.
Why is there such an astounding IGNORANCE about SF and earthquakes? Do you know how rare it is to experience a big earthquake in SF? The last one was in 1989 and the one before was in 1906, that's a period of 83 years! Of course there are many little ones that are like 4.0 or less but those don't really do much damage and you'll feel like a 5-second tiny little jolt at the most. How often do you get winter storms in the north or a hurricane in Florida or tornado in the great plains states? A lot more often than earthquakes in SF I can assure you all!

Old 01-30-2008, 07:10 AM

6,967 posts, read 17,761,222 times
i'll have to go with SF. i'd be wino with Napa being an hour away.

Old 01-30-2008, 02:13 PM

31,582 posts, read 53,131,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
I think you can compare Pittsburgh with Seattle and San Francisco.

If you have a lot of money, Sausalito and Tiburon cannot be beat. If you really mean 'Oakland' when you say 'San Francisco,' then, uh, you're not giving us the full story.

San Jose and Silicon Valley are interesting, but overrated. I would rather be closer to the Great Lakes, and take an occasional vacation out there.
Oakland and San Jose are both more preferrable to Pittsburgh. I celebrate with all of Pittsburgh boosters in relishing that city's charms, but the Bay Area is in another league altogether-in just about every sense of the word.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:08 PM

5,257 posts, read 12,567,106 times
There really is no comparison. San Francisco is in a league of its own. So much more to offer, at least for me. I've been to Pittsburgh and have absolutely no desire to live there, ever.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:49 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,443,003 times
As difficult as it is for some people to understand, there are those out there that would prefer to live in Coudersport, PA than San Francisco. I don't remember anyone from this forum saying that Pittsburgh has the same cultural amenities, nightlife, big-city atmosphere, etc. than San Francisco. I don't think anyone is making the argument that Pittsburgh has more to offer in these respects than San Francisco. However, everyone has their personal opinion on where they would like to live (sense of aesthetics, cost of living, crime rates, etc.), and this forum post addressed that question--not does Pittsburgh have more to offer than San Francisco (SF urban area =3.2 million; PGH urban = 1.75). So perhaps people should quit acting like its an unfair comparison--it's not really a comparison; it's no surprise more people choose SF, but whose to say those who chose Pittsburgh are wrong because they like to live a lifestyle that resonates more with that city.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:07 PM

1,196 posts, read 4,252,271 times
Quote:
(sense of aesthetics, cost of living, crime rates, etc.),
Well, San Francisco has a lower crime rate than Pittsburgh, plus I would say it is one of the most beautiful cities in the US aesthetically speaking. You are correct, Pittsburgh is much cheaper, maybe for a reason.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:35 PM

2,237 posts, read 6,443,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
Well, San Francisco has a lower crime rate than Pittsburgh.
Not in terms of Metro area. San Francisco is such a great city that anyone who doesn't recognize its greatness is stupid, for if they recognized it, they would certainly want to live there above all other places.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:25 PM

4,984 posts, read 5,746,531 times
This has to be one of the most uniformed immature threads, which is saying something on this forum.

San Francisco is an incredible city, but the ignorance of Pittsburgh's reputation as an arts center, center for higher education, architecture and recreational activities is stunning. Well not so much that people might not know that, but that they don't know it and then bash the city on such areas.

The Bay area become a lot larger than most U.S. metros and offers many, many things. It's the regional center, where Pittsburgh is in the shadows of NYC, Philly, and DC. of which are all easy drives or quick flights from Pgh.

However, Pittsburgh can hold its own in any of the areas I mentioned above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or