Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times

Advertisements

San francisco without a doubt.I didn't care for pittsburg althought my parents were from nearby originally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
As probably one of the only people posting here who has lived in both cities, I feel qualified to comment. San Francisco is great in many ways, but it's also filthy (I like all the needles everywhere) and way overpriced for what you get. Add in overcrowded and stressful and did I mention filthy? I do miss the weather, though. And the air over S.F. was usually crystal clear, because the wind blew all the nasty yellow-brown smog over to Oakland. No, really...I saw it almost every day from in front of my apartment building.

Pittsburgh has a litter problem and a lot of the older buildings are stained black from the old days, but the quality of life is so much better here that there's really no contest. If I didn't live in either place, I'd much rather take a vacation in San Francisco, and who knows...with a seven-figure income, I could afford a weekend place in the Bay Area to fly to in my private jet.

P.S....the smugness is one of the things I'm SO glad to be away from. The West Coast is so overrated it's not funny anymore, if it ever was. It's good to be back East after ten years.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:14 PM

6,341 posts, read 11,087,268 times
Pittsburgh. The people in western PA seem to be cordial at worst and friendly on occasion. They are anything but overbearing or superficial, both qualities I find detestable in my current home of Kansas City. And when I visit Pittsburgh I always get a smile or two from the women in stores or at hotel check in.

Pittsburgh also has a fairly decent mass transit system including a couple of subway lines. And it has top notch culture and entertainment for a metro area of its size.

The only negative issue would be the roads and Steelers. With all due respect to the citizens of the Pittsburgh region, your roads are in dire need of repair. And the Miami Dolphins of the early 70's are the greatest NFL team at least since the inception of the Super Bowl. :-)

Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_W View Post
I guess I don't get know your version of "quality" time but he lives/works in Omaha where he spends and overwhelming majority of his time.

Also, I seriously doubt he owns two homes in Laguna Beach. Maybe an investment property at best...that wouldn't even make sense. I watched an hour long interview on CNN of Warren Buffet and he doesn't even drive a brand new car let alone owning two homes in CA.
He does have two homes in Laguna Beach. One in which his wife lives, and one in which his mistress lives. He isn't exactly who you think he is. I love the guy, but he is an atheist adulterer. And a guy who owns homes in Laguna beach- and spends time there.

Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,452,854 times
while we're at it...

chicago vs. detroit
seattle vs. cleveland
boston vs. cincinnati
washington vs. st. louis

Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
while we're at it...

chicago vs. detroit
seattle vs. cleveland
boston vs. cincinnati
washington vs. st. louis
Detecting your sarcasm, Pittsburgh is the only city in the country, with the possible exception of Seattle, which even remotely reminds me of San Francisco. More so than Seattle, which is way too sanitized and bland. San Francisco and Pittsburgh both have that hilly, gritty, Victorian, European cable-car thing going on, with Pittsburgh being the more European of the two, it having a substantial population of actual Europeans. A plus: Pittsburgh has trees, and lots of them. It also has twice as many steps, so there!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
I'll say it again---PITTSBURGH!!! It's like Scranton---only better, believe it or not!

Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
No comparison. San Francisco.

I am interested in Pittsburgh, but at the end of the day, it has little to no name recognition nationally or internationally.

You tell someone you live in San Francisco, and they say 'wow'. You say you live in Pittsburgh, and you get 'oh' with no follow-up whatsoever.

Main thing though is San Francisco has better weather, international people, an incredibly wide diversity of a multitude of international restaurants, microclimates all over the city, and well, tons of really really cool stuff.

I use to live in San Francisco, and the ONLY reason I left and have no desire to go back, is the HIGH prices, and that is the ONLY reason. I should mention the homeless problem was a huge annoyance as well, and mostly because without a decent income, you have to live around them. The wealthy don't have to deal with the city problems so much.

If someone had a 7-digit income, you would WANT to be in a city that offers you everything you can imagine, and SF does that.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
San Francisco without question. I don't care for cold weather.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:01 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

You tell someone you live in San Francisco, and they say 'wow'. You say you live in Pittsburgh, and you get 'oh' with no follow-up whatsoever.
And that is part of the problem with SF; the smug, egocentric attitudes of mostly transplants who think they're the sh*t b/c of where the live now. I grew up near SF and I can't stand some of the people in that bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City