Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times

Advertisements

San Francisco. I think Pittsburg is way overated on this forum, no offense but Pburg just isn't in the same league so its a silly comparison. It just comes down to personal opinion but I could never live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,023,360 times
Parents are from the 'Steel City' have many relatives there- Been there several times. Visited and lived in the SF bay area-

My aesthetic senses say San Francisco- my practical thinking tells me Pittsburgh.
Pittsburgh is far cheaper, the people more earthy and less competitive-

San Francisco makes my heart ping- if I had the $$$$ I would live there again in a flash.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:00 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
And let's not forget where Warren Buffet lives...Omaha, NE! Now there's a guy, who could BUY San Francisco.
Let's not also forget he owns two homes alone in Laguna Beach (true story- read the book about him). When you have a private jet and two homes in Laguna Beach where you spend your free time I guess Omaha doesn't look so bad, but don't think Buffett spends his quality time there b/c he doesn't.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:19 AM

167 posts, read 213,944 times
I haven't seen too much of Pittsburg, so I'd say San Francisco.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:28 PM

197 posts, read 261,669 times
I haven't been to SF (and I'm gay) or Pittsburgh, but I will be visiting my gay mecca this summer! I love that Quweer as Folk is (falsely) set in Pittsburgh (It actually takes place in Canada.) I have to go with San Francisco because it just seems like a city that offers more to offer in terms of culture, art, nightlife, and hot men. ;-)

Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 PM

197 posts, read 261,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houguy1087 View Post
I haven't been to SF (and I'm gay) or Pittsburgh, but I will be visiting my gay mecca this summer! I love that Quweer as Folk is (falsely) set in Pittsburgh (It actually takes place in Canada.) I have to go with San Francisco because it just seems like a city that offers more to offer in terms of culture, art, nightlife, and hot men. ;-)
Hahah, someone got really mad and gave me a positive rep because I didn't pick Pittsburgh! Not only that, but they didn't even leave their name--that's hilarious. Attack the media NOT me. Truth is just that sometimes cities are more popular than others...you have to admit it sometimes. Everybody has an opinion whether its rooted in superficial experience or not. Unfortunately, my experience is superficial and I stated that and really I didn't think anyone took my statements seriously. Next time don't be a coward and post a reply if you feel so strongly.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:49 AM

809 posts, read 2,410,079 times
Pittsburgh? Overrated? No.

If you've ever been there you'd understand.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,598,386 times
It makes me overjoyed to see all of the enthusiasm for Pittsburgh from it's natives. I wish all metro areas shared that kind of zeal. But, I personally would never want to live there. I find it to be a bit clausterphobic and insular. Everytime I have been to it, there is little if any activity in the downtown area. I am sure it has great neighborhoods but I was just not impressed. It also seemed to be that the surrounding suburban area was spawl out of control covering all of the beautiful topography.
San Francisco itself is a joy. It also has tons of sprawl but there is so much occuring right in the city that a resident or visitor can choose to ignore it. Nothing in Pittsbugh matches a walk along the Pacific or Golden Gate Park.
Just my two cents.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,916,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gameguy56 View Post
Pittsburgh? Overrated? No.

If you've ever been there you'd understand.
I don't think it's overated in normal everyday life but you would think its the mecca of North America to hear some of you go on and on about it. Yes, I've visited and i'll give it props that its in good shape compared to the rest of the rustbelt. But, I didn't find the downtown that exciting or eclectic and the suburbs were a bit boring except for the terrain.

I'm not bashing your city, Im trying to bring you guys down to earth. It may be nice but San Fran is out of your league.

Everywhere I go, whether its at college in South Carolina or even over here in London, I meet Pittsburgh natives. Very nice people, but there has to be a reason they're no longer in the burgh. I think the Steelers are the second most popular team in the Carolinas after the Panthers.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:23 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,166,670 times
For me, this would be a very tough choice. I've been to SF several times and don't like it at all. Too crowded and run-down looking. Never been to Pittsburgh, but I haven't heard many good things about it either. I'm not a Northeast kind of guy either.

If I had to choose, it would probably be Pittsburgh, the lesser of the 2 evils. I would stay there a couple of years on this mythic 7-figure salary, bank as much money as I could and then quit. I'd then move to wherever I want and live life happily ever after since I would have the money to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City