U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM

3,570 posts, read 3,043,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Yeah I can't believe Atlanta only has 400,000, for all that capital of the South talk I would assume at least 600,000 ,700,000....nearly 6 million and only 400,000 live in city limits is definitely wierd

And also I Dont Believe Chicago estimates..you have a city of 2million only grow by 82?....doesnt even seem logical. YOU TELLING ME that a city 200 square miles all those millions grows by Precisely 82? Uhh Uhh not believing it.

And also in 2010 census said Chicago lost 200,000 people than in 2011 census estimates say Chicago is suddenly growing again what in 2011 stopped a Decade of population lost from 2000-2010?.So In 2000-2010 you telling me a city loses hundreds of thousands of People than magically on January 2011 it all of a sudden stops?. It jus doesnt make sense..Chicago and this is no disrespect to Chicago cause I love Chicago .....but Chicago should prepare itself for a 2020 census population of 2.4 or 2.5 million
Well that's the nature of estimates, they are just estimates. Based on what I know of demography however your expectations of Atlanta being much larger have to do with your perception of it. It's always better to go on the region and not city size. There are dozens of cases like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 10:12 AM

6,217 posts, read 8,370,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Yeah Chicago has been voted America's most miserable city a few years ago & had a recent violent streak lately so maybe it's the crime or people hate living in the Midwest.
Most miserable city....? According to what?

Old 05-27-2015, 10:24 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,941,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Most miserable city....? According to what?
It was in one of those "articles" from somewhere like Forbes (you know, the ones that claim that West New York, NJ is one of the top 5 cities in the entire US for public transit). They rated things like average commute time, price of gas, etc but failed to take into account for any city on the list how many people don't drive, how many people take public transit to work, etc.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:37 AM

11,543 posts, read 17,901,027 times
Quote:
Look at their tiny square mileage. Miami is only 35 square miles.
...and Houston is nearly 600 square miles. Miami-Dade County's entire developed land is less than 600 square miles.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...and Houston is nearly 600 square miles. Miami-Dade County's entire developed land is less than 600 square miles.
I'm aware, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? Not sure what you're getting at.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,901,027 times
Quote:
I'm aware, are you agreeing with me or disagreeing with me? Not sure what you're getting at.
I'm agreeing with you. More often than not, conversations get wrapped up here on CD where apples are compared to oranges. The comparison between Miami and Houston or, for that matter, any two cities can't be done on core municipal metrics alone. There's this little thing called "context" that matters.

In some cases like NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago, the city size aligns with the metro size but in many, many, many other cases it doesn't. Just looking at the collection of cities that surround Miami's municipal population tell an interesting story.

Here's the list of cities ranked by population from 39th-49th. Miami is in the middle at #44. I thought it would be interesting to illustrate the wide swings some of these cities have vis--vis their MSA population.
  • 39: Atlanta (9th)
  • 40: Virginia Beach (37th)
  • 41: Colorado Springs (79th)
  • 42: Omaha (60th)
  • 43: Raleigh (46th)
  • 44: Miami (8th)
  • 45: Oakland (11th)
  • 46: Minneapolis (16th)
  • 47: Tulsa (55th)
  • 48: Cleveland (31st)
  • 49: Wichita (84th)

As you can see from the collection of cities that are listed above, only Virginia Beach and Raleigh (and somewhat Tulsa) are part of a MSA whose population is ranked closely to their city's municipal ranking. If one looked at CSAs and/or Primary Statistical Areas into mix, then only Virginia Beach is close between the two rankings. If we compared cities against Urbanized Areas, we'd probably have similar results.

Last edited by rnc2mbfl; 05-27-2015 at 01:41 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I'm agreeing with you. More often than not, conversations get wrapped up here on CD where apples are compared to oranges. The comparison between Miami and Houston or, for that matter, any two cities can't be done on core municipal metrics alone. There's this little thing called "context" that matters.
Okay! Wasn't sure what you were getting at, but you're right, comparing city to city is pretty absurd, as this would mean that Indianapolis is larger than Miami, Atlanta, D.C., Boston, Seattle, and a host of other cities. Metro area is the only proper way to gauge a city's true size.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:58 PM

3,584 posts, read 3,670,953 times
Quote:
It's interesting how important cities like D.c,Atlanta,Miami or Boston don't even have a population of over a million, Wow
Boston is a whopping 48 square miles. Miami is 36 square miles. DC is 61 square miles. Not surprising these cities have populations less than a million people. Just look at what they're surrounded by for populations though.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:04 PM

20,160 posts, read 21,760,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Valencia View Post
I hear ya, but people in this thread are lamenting about Pittsburgh's stagnant population. I'm merely pointing out that a good way to kick start some population growth would be to bring in some refugees from war-torn countries like Somolia, Sudan, Syria and Lybia. It may be a bit difficult to assimilate these particular immigrants but they will provide a much needed population boost for Pittsburgh and other Rust Belt cities. Keep in mind that immigrants, regardless of where they come from, have a much higher birthrate than the native population so this will also contribute to some additional population growth.
Or they can try to market job opportunities and cheaper costs of living to other developed countries, that might work. Maybe.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,180,843 times
Quote:
Yeah Chicago has been voted America's most miserable city a few years ago & had a recent violent streak lately so maybe it's the crime or people hate living in the Midwest.
What a load. I'm not a huge fan of Chicago, but it still kicks the hell out of the vast majority of US cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or