U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 12:06 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,958,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Ironic you say reality check, as the reality is there is 0% of the day where Manhattan is occupied by only residents; Residential population is useless information when discussing reality.
I agree with this

Quote:
Secondly, I appreciate you trying to police an internet forum, but get some context behind the 4 million number, I was responding to a member who commented that Manhattan has a similar population to the Bronx, which is just crazy IN REALITY.
I was stating that the official resident population of it is not that much different than the Bronx, as opposed to the 8.5 million that people who barely go to NYC think it is. There are many people who think that Queens, Brooklyn, etc are actually separate cities outside of NYC.

It had nothing to do with what it feels like and how many people are there during the day. I was showing that in reality, there are many component of NYC that are very large in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 12:15 PM

20,186 posts, read 21,793,720 times
Quote:
While this is technically true, it isn't very relevant. At no point is Manhattan only populated by residents; there are hundreds of thousands of Tourists, Commuters, etc that occupy the island literally all day every day. While this is true in other cities as well, the scale of Manhattan is so much larger.

For all intents and purposes, Manhattan is an Island of 4 million people.
Oh, I found the original quote. How surprising that more context is better!

I wonder if there's a thread that posts population numbers for cities during different periods of time. That'd be a good comparison. Manhattan's inflation to 4 million people is pretty intense though my guess is a majority of that is from the other boroughs so the actual population increase of NYC the city itself is probably significantly lower.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-29-2015 at 12:25 PM..

Old 05-29-2015, 12:46 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,505,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I found the original quote. How surprising that more context is better!

I wonder if there's a thread that posts population numbers for cities during different periods of time. That'd be a good comparison. Manhattan's inflation to 4 million people is pretty intense though my guess is a majority of that is from the other boroughs so the actual population increase of NYC the city itself is probably significantly lower.
I don't have the link, but I've read previously that Manhattan receives ~1,000,000 people from outside of NYC, and ~1,500,000 from the remaining boroughs. I also remember reading the population of Manhattan bottoms out at ~2,100,000 on Sunday Evenings and Peaks at ~4,100,000 on Wednesday afternoons.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I don't have the link, but I've read previously that Manhattan receives ~1,000,000 people from outside of NYC, and ~1,500,000 from the remaining boroughs. I also remember reading the population of Manhattan bottoms out at ~2,100,000 on Sunday Evenings and Peaks at ~4,100,000 on Wednesday afternoons.
That's a surprisingly more even split than I expected. I wonder if any of the outer boroughs draw any significant commuters in from the rest of the metro. I'd assume that Flushing/Main Street, JFK as an employment center, and downtown Brooklyn combined would probably get a fair number of commuters from outside the city (though at least an order of magnitude less than Manhattan).

Old 05-29-2015, 01:07 PM

I don't know where she got this quote, but my girlfriend said she heard a stat that only 1 of 15 (or maybe it was 25) people you see anywhere in NYC actually live there. The rest live in the surrounding cities or are tourists/business travellers. I need to ask her again where she heard that.

Now being here for a number of months, I can see it. Hell, tourists ask me all the time for directions and while I'm here every week, I don't technically even live here. I can only imagine how many other people there are like me out there.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:44 PM

252 posts, read 195,556 times
There's no way that's true. Given that the city has 8.5 million people, that would there would be either 127.5 million (more than a third of the country) or 212 million (two thirds of the country) in NYC at one time, which is laughable. Maybe in Midtown and the touristy and/or CBD parts of Manhattan it's as high as 1 in 4 or 5 or something but NYC =/= Manhattan South of 96th street. The vast majority of the city is rarely visited by the tourists that crowd Midtown and has relatively little employment to which people commute from out of the city.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:46 PM

I'm sure she messed up the statistic, very sure of it AND I'm pretty sure it was only meant to talk about Manhattan, not NYC. Still, probably more like 1 in 3 or 4.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:55 PM

252 posts, read 195,556 times
According to the Census:1,682,000 people commute to Manhattan from a different county for work, including 700,000 from outside of the city and 982,000 from the outer boroughs. An additional 138,000 people commute to Brooklyn from outside the city and 128,000 commute to Queens from outside the city. Here is a link to an NYU study with lots of interesting data and graphics about the changing population of Manhattan (the study estimates Manhattan's weekday daytime population at 3.1 million)https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf

Old 05-29-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
According to the Census:1,682,000 people commute to Manhattan from a different county for work, including 700,000 from outside of the city and 982,000 from the outer boroughs. An additional 138,000 people commute to Brooklyn from outside the city and 128,000 commute to Queens from outside the city. Here is a link to an NYU study with lots of interesting data and graphics about the changing population of Manhattan (the study estimates Manhattan's weekday daytime population at 3.1 million)https://wagner.nyu.edu/files/rudince..._manhattan.pdf
Cool report. Then there are a good number of people (not as many as the groups above most likely) who travel in every week from outside of the NE for work too.

Old 05-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMBX View Post
Nice! Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or