U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 10:08 AM

291 posts, read 296,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
If you are a guy, is it important to know your bra size? Exactly! Would it make sense for two guys to argue who has the bigger bra size? Exactly! That is a metric for women....not men. Similarly, these MSA, CSA and all these other metrics ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR use by 99% percent of people. They are for politics and maybe marketing purposes.

When have any of you been riding in your car and crashed into the invisible forcefield of a city boundary, county boundary, MSA boundary or CSA boundary? We do not live our every day lives bounded or restricted by these metrics....so why do we keep talking about them when we cannot even use them? I think what most people use is reasonable access, based upon a radius. You might consider your "area" to be defined as what you can have access to in a 30 minute drive, 40 minute drive, 50 minute drive, etc. I have never heard anyone say that they don't want to take a job because it is outside my official MSA, my official city or my official county. I have heard people say that it is too far a drive though...and that they wanted something closer. So people basically use distance....and not some man made constructs like city lines, county lines, MSA definitions and such.

For me, I just like to know how many people exist in a certain mile radius and that tells me how big a place is and what is likely available to me. All other metrics, to me, are like men arguing over their bra size. Now, granted, these statistics are good in providing information about population trends in an area.....but not in saying what area is really bigger or better than another area. I have been to San Antonio a couple of times, and lived in Atlanta for brief time. There are a lot of more people available to me in a 50 minute radius of Atlanta that a similar radius in San Antonio.....way more.
Well said!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2015, 10:10 AM

2,548 posts, read 5,129,647 times
Atlanta is the biggest city in the Southeastern U.S. and it's CSA includes over 30 counties, not a fair comparison. If San Antonio included such an area it would encroach the Austin/San Marcos area.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:17 AM

31,578 posts, read 53,114,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
Atlanta is the biggest city in the Southeastern U.S. and it's CSA includes over 30 counties, not a fair comparison. If San Antonio included such an area it would encroach the Austin/San Marcos area.
It is fair because all areas follow the same criteria.

Those 30 Atlanta counties meet the criteria to be combined, San Antonio and Austin do not.

In fact, Isnt Atlanta still far larger than San Antonio and Austin combined?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 AM

If Austin/San Marcos were next to Atlanta I'm pretty certain Atlanta wouldn't be as big.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,673,025 times
Quote:
Right, but it doesn't, hence the point. Atlanta is vastly more populous and important than SA.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
If Austin/San Marcos were next to Atlanta I'm pretty certain Atlanta wouldn't be as big.
I'm not sure how you would be "fairly certain", as there is no reason to believe that a city doesn't grow because there are other big cities in proximity (hasn't seemed to hurt the NE corridor or Coastal CA), but the fact is your scenario is a fantasy, so irrelevent.

It's like me saying "yeah but if Laredo was bigger than Tokyo then it would destroy SA". OK, and?

Old 05-22-2015, 10:29 AM

I'm referring to political boundaries and how they affect population figures not anything about population growth.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I'm referring to political boundaries and how they affect population figures not anything about population growth.
Political boundaries don't affect population figures, at all. The Census MSA/CSA estimates have nothing to do with such boundaries.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 AM

What I meant was how each metro area is defined and what component cities are included in it's metro which has an affect on its metro population total.

Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 AM

3,581 posts, read 3,667,780 times
I am wondering just how close to being accurate these numbers are. Boston is at 655,884 according to the link, up from 617,594 in 2014.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or