Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live?
New Orleans 34 40.96%
San Antonio 49 59.04%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:36 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,801,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Well what is it now?
The entire city or the core/downtown?
Unless you say New Orleans looks like Bourbon Street or the french quarter throughout the entire city including the suburbs.....

So I ask you, is it your opinion that new Orleans outside its core is not sprawl or newer/newish.

That is a rather unfair assessment. NOLAs densely built environment not only surpasses the core areas of downtown / business district but it extends into uptown and beyond that to the edges of the city and even into neighboring cities. No it does not look like the quarter throughout but the density of buildings is maintained far longer than say in Atlanta, Dallas-Fort or Houston. parking lots are not as common in the burbs in NOLA and certainly rare in the city core unlike SA, Charlotte, Orlando or other large sunbelt cities.

NOLA is simply built differenly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 03:58 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That is a rather unfair assessment. NOLAs densely built environment not only surpasses the core areas of downtown / business district but it extends into uptown and beyond that to the edges of the city and even into neighboring cities. No it does not look like the quarter throughout but the density of buildings is maintained far longer than say in Atlanta, Dallas-Fort or Houston. parking lots are not as common in the burbs in NOLA and certainly rare in the city core unlike SA, Charlotte, Orlando or other large sunbelt cities.

NOLA is simply built differenly.

I believe that.
Also let me clarify I too think that New Orleans overall is the more unique city, I mean New Orleans is probably one the most unique cities in the entire US.
Can San Antonio compete in that regard? No I don't think so.
But to say that San Antonio looks like every other sunbelt city is a bit of a stretch IMO.
Like I mentioned that of course the further you get from the core the more things start to look like a typical US suburb but that goes for almost practically every city in the US, including New Orleans I'd day.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:53 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What is unique about SA? Could you name something? To me it seems to be a very typical U.S. city. Very sprawly, small downtown, small urban core, very new, lots of freeways, tract homes, malls, etc.

And architecture? Not seeing that, at all. How does SA have any different architecture from other Sunbelt cities?
New Orleans is very unique, I agree with that. But you can't throw San Antonio under the bus like that. From The Alamo to The Missions makes San Antonio unique. Also what other city can compare to SA riverwalk? You telling me that every sunbelt city has a great riverwalk?

Old 05-24-2015, 05:34 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
What is unique about SA? Could you name something? To me it seems to be a very typical U.S. city. Very sprawly, small downtown, small urban core, very new, lots of freeways, tract homes, malls, etc.

And architecture? Not seeing that, at all. How does SA have any different architecture from other Sunbelt cities?
New Orleans and San Antonio are both historical and unique and both have unique architecture. San Antonio has 27 historic districts, 19 of those districts are on the National registry. New Orleans has 20 historic districts listed on the National registry. As far as historic landmarks San Antonio has a long list, the Alamo, the Missions National Historic Park, Spanish Governors Palace, San Fernando Cathedral the oldest in the U.S. and the second oldest municipal park outside, Boston, San Pedro Springs. It also has 4 historic theatre palaces that have been restored, and 3 other smaller historic theatres all in the downtown area. San Antonio is definitely historic and unique and the urban core is a lot larger than you think, I would say possibly larger than New Orleans, maybe not as dense but the footprint is pretty big.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:27 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,894,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
New Orleans and San Antonio are both historical and unique and both have unique architecture. San Antonio has 27 historic districts, 19 of those districts are on the National registry. New Orleans has 20 historic districts listed on the National registry. As far as historic landmarks San Antonio has a long list, the Alamo, the Missions National Historic Park, Spanish Governors Palace, San Fernando Cathedral the oldest in the U.S. and the second oldest municipal park outside, Boston, San Pedro Springs. It also has 4 historic theatre palaces that have been restored, and 3 other smaller historic theatres all in the downtown area. San Antonio is definitely historic and unique and the urban core is a lot larger than you think, I would say possibly larger than New Orleans, maybe not as dense but the footprint is pretty big.
Both cities are also very historically important to the way this country came to be.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:50 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,378,368 times
I like San Antonio because it has more family friendly activities. It's also larger, and easier to get around. New Orleans is fun to visit, but I couldn't live there.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:06 AM

151 posts, read 169,661 times
I would choose San Antonio.

I lived in New Orleans for eight years. The crime is horrific, much worse than San Antonio, which is even worse when you include that it is much smaller. The public schools are off-the-charts BAD. NO has the worst schools in the state of LA (a state known for its bad public schools). The NO local government is corrupt, incompetent, and lazy. This has not changed in years. Even some of New Orleans suburbs like Kenner, Gretna, Algiers are horrible places, and suburbs are usually the nicer places to live. Louisiana roads are generally unkept and New Orleans is no exception. The fact that the city is surrounded by water and has many waterways in it make traffic that much more of a problem. Besides tourist areas, there is not a huge difference from what a typical American city looks like. I love to visit there, I like the culture, and I know many hole-in-the wall restaurants that are superb. But living there is completely out of the question.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:05 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
I would choose San Antonio.

I lived in New Orleans for eight years. The crime is horrific, much worse than San Antonio, which is even worse when you include that it is much smaller. The public schools are off-the-charts BAD. NO has the worst schools in the state of LA (a state known for its bad public schools). The NO local government is corrupt, incompetent, and lazy. This has not changed in years. Even some of New Orleans suburbs like Kenner, Gretna, Algiers are horrible places, and suburbs are usually the nicer places to live. Louisiana roads are generally unkept and New Orleans is no exception. The fact that the city is surrounded by water and has many waterways in it make traffic that much more of a problem. Besides tourist areas, there is not a huge difference from what a typical American city looks like. I love to visit there, I like the culture, and I know many hole-in-the wall restaurants that are superb. But living there is completely out of the question.
Kenner, Gretna, Algiers is a neighborhood in the city, etc are not your typical suburbs. They are basically an extension of New Orleans except in Jefferson Parish. What I mean is that they aren't any McMansions, one-entrance subdivisions, etc like what you find in Sugarland and Katy. Metairie might as well be the Northside.

New Orleans typical suburbs are on the Northshore.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:34 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
San Antonio is more of a mixed bag. In some parts you have the richly historic, Old World feel, yet in others it's nothing but typical Texan-style suburbia. Despite them both being the same age, New Orleans feels considerably older and has the widespread density to go along with it.

I feel like the differences between these two cities seems to epitomize the differences between their respective states. Louisianans are more laid back and they love to eat, drink and be merry. Texans are all of these things, too, but we set aside more time and resources for business and education.

I love both cities and don't think I'd easily choose one over the other. Let's just have them meet somewhere near the middle and call that point "Houston".

Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 PM

24 posts, read 31,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Crime wise it seems like NOLA is slightly higher in violent crime but not by much.
LOL. NOLA's murder rate is 9x higher than SA's.

Stats for other crimes are unreliable due to how people report them and how competent the police forces are. Attacked and mugged in NOLA and the cops treated me like crap for even bothering them. It probably didn't even count statistically because they "had more pressing matters to tend to than worrying about an iPhone."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City