U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birthday Weekend
Simmer Birthday Weekend in Chicago 34 59.65%
Summer Birthday Weekend in New Orleans 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 09:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,334,948 times

Advertisements

Trip to the Oak Street Beach Downtown at start of North Michigan Ave . They have a Tiki Bar there too and Trip to top of the John Hancock building on Michigan Ave couple blocks from Oak Street Beach ⤵

BOAT RIDE INTO LAKE MICHIGAN ⤵

NAVY PIER ⤵

"Taste of Chicago" Festival is going on downtown in Grant Park through July 12th.
City of Chicago :: Taste of Chicago

"Art Fest Michigan Ave at Tribune Tower July 10th-12th
Art Fest Michigan Ave | Chicago, Illinois | Jul 10 12, 2015 | Amdur Productions

"Irish Fest" July 10th-12th
Irish American Heritage Center Irish Fest

"Windy City Smokeout BBQ" July 10th-12th
Windy City Smokeout

"Roscoe Village Burger Fest" July 11th-12th
rvcc-burgerfest

"Taste of Lakeview" July 11th-12th
StarEvents Taste of Lakeview is located in the beautiful Lakeview Chicago

"Westfest Chicago" July 11th-12th
West Fest Chicago

I'd say Take a Chicago River/Lake Michigan Boat ride. make sure you do the Lake too. Not just the river ride. You can get them at the River and Michigan Ave of just the Lake from Navy Pier.

http://www.mercurycruises.com/tours/.

https://www.wendellaboats.com/

Chicago Architecture Tours & Navy Pier Speedboats | Seadog Cruises speed boat

Millennium Park is nice
City of Chicago :: Millennium Park

Last edited by steeps; 05-22-2015 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 07:34 AM

1,312 posts, read 1,536,257 times
Cards on the table. I've never been to New Orleans. I would like to go sometime, but I haven't yet. So I'm not going to vote in this poll.

I will, however, give some options for a trip to Chicago that extends beyond The Loop. And I'm going to assume you've literally never gone anywhere outside of The Loop/downtown area (The Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville) when I suggest these things. Also, steeps gave a pretty solid list of events that are going on around July 10th, so I won't add any more.

1. The Museum of Science and Industry. Does it have a lot of things to do for kids? Yes. But it's still pretty cool for adults, in my opinion. If you feel like dropping a little extra cash, I would suggest taking the tour of the WWII German submarine in the basement. Unless you're claustrophobic. Then don't do it. You'd have a panic attack and die. Welcome to The Museum of Science and Industry

2. Lincoln Park Zoo. It's free. Don't expect to be blown away by it (I wasn't), but it is pretty good considering you don't have to pay a single cent to wander in there. Lincoln Park Zoo | Chicago | Free and Open to All, 365 days a Year!

3. Wicker Park neighborhood. Good places to eat, good places to drink a beer, good places to walk in and take a look at wares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLFHmBymYrQ

4. Lakeview/Wrigleyville neighborhood. Good places to eat, good places to get sloppy drunk. Also little shops to buy wares. The area around Wrigley Field is packed to the gills with places to get hammered. If you go there during a game, expect drunkeness stumbling everywhere. Is this a recommendation or a warning? You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FnFIRyKDA

5. Chinatown and Little Vietnam. Two different neighborhoods on opposite sides of the city. Take Red Line south to the Chinatown stop. Take the Red Line north to get to the Argyle stop. Chinatown isn't huge, and Little Vietnam is smaller, but you can find some good food in either area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDGFzgdOPI

6. Lincoln Square neighborhood. On Lincoln Avenue you can find some cool little stores and a variety of food options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zqJITKh8A

7. A comedy show. The most well known is Second City in the Old Town neighborhood. It's also the most expensive and busiest (sold out shows) of the Chicago comedy scene. I think it's still worth it. If you want something a little cheaper and more spur of the moment, check out the iO Theater. iO Chicago - The iO Theater - iO Chicago

8. Beaches. 32 of them inside the city. They're free. The most crowded three are Ohio Street Beach, Oak Street Beach, and North Avenue Beach. Unless it's really hot, or it has been really hot for a while, the water is probably going to be pretty nippy. If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with chilling out for a little bit in the sun, people watching, and watching the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJ2mZN5x1k

9. Randolph Street in the West Loop. Plenty of quality spots to eat a meal. A popular place is Girl and The Goat. If you want to eat there (I want to go back again), make your reservations now. You probably can't just drop in the day of, or make a reservation a day before, and expect to eat there. A Guide for Navigating Chicago's Restaurant Row on Randolph Street

10. An architecture tour on the river. Learn about buildings. Look at buildings. Pay a decent amount of money to learn about and look at buildings. Or, pay a little bit of money and look at buildings by taking a water taxi on the river. You won't learn anything cool doing it that way, but you'll save money that can later be spent on drinks and wares. https://www.wendellaboats.com/Boat-T...hitecture-Tour

Old 05-23-2015, 09:22 AM

610 posts, read 571,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Weather is sure to be much better in Chicago mid-July. Beyond that, NOLA is just such a perfect celebration town for visitors. I was there for my 30th birthday. It was the last time I ever threw up from drinking. Totally worth it. But I knew folks in town and went to an array of great places all week.

However, if you don't want to head over to the Quarter, you're far more limited than in the much-bigger Chicago. Have fun either way!

Oh Really....Cool

Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Not knocking New Orleans cause it's got great food and some nice romantic spots in addition to nightlife, but it's hard to beat Chicago in the summertime. New Orleans weather won't be nice, it's much smaller, and from my experience much more geared towards partying. Maybe thats fine for you but for me I wouldn't have any fun with my parents around lol.

If all you saw was the Loop then there's plenty more to see this time around in Chicago. Although you may once again get sucked in haha.

Lol I'm my Mother's only child, So this is like special to her

Last edited by BlueRedTide; 05-23-2015 at 09:44 AM..

Old 05-23-2015, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
If this was any other time of year I would say NoLa. I love that city. NoLa sucks in summer, Chicago sucks in winter. However, I function better in the extreme cold of Chicago than the extreme heat/humidity of NoLa and that's the only reason I like Chicago more. NoLa is more fun to visit, but being there in summer is miserable.

Ohhhhhhh

Old 05-23-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
2 cities that I love beyond description. I love living in New Orleans, so I had to vote for the Chi for obvious reasons. There is no bad choice in this thread.
Agreed

Old 05-23-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Not a Chicagoan here, but I went to college there and have been back many times since, and nobody has given the OP the specific suggestions he asked for. There is a ton to see in Chicago outside of downtown. I'd say that in about half of my visits, I never even go downtown. So here are some suggestions, some popular, some less so:

1. Lincoln Park. OP, you mentioned it, so I'll recommend it first. Both the park and the neighborhood next to it. This is Chicago's yuppieville, but I don't mean that in a bad way. Definitely check out the popular zoo, which is absolutely free. I always like free attractions not just because I'm cheap (though I am!), but because they have a different atmosphere from paid attractions. In the case of the Lincoln Park Zoo, the fact that you can just wander in and out makes the zoo much more part of the fabric of the park than, say, the Central Park Zoo in New York.

2. Evanston. This is where I went to school, and the place is just booming. There's an entire part of town that felt a little dangerous and abandoned when I lived there in the '90s, and now it's all multiplex theaters and upscale chain restaurants. Stroll around downtown and check out Northwestern's lakefront campus. I love college towns and this is an underrated one.

3. You wanted to know if the entire South Side is a no-go zone? Well, uh, a lot of it is, but Hyde Park isn't. This is Obamaland, though his house is technically in the adjacent neighborhood of Kenwood (and no, you can't visit). A big attraction here is the Museum of Science and Industry, which is housed in the last remaining building from the famous 1893 Chicago World's Fair. There's more landmark architecture around, particularly on the University of Chicago's campus.

4. Wicker Park/Bucktown. When I was in school, these two closely linked neighborhoods (it's tough to tell where one ends and the other begins) were considered dangerous. Around the time I graduated, they turned hipster. The hipsters have been replaced by young professionals, but there's still a certain edge, great shopping and food, and frankly I still prefer it to the neighborhoods where the hipsters have migrated (west to Logan Square and Humboldt Park, if you're interested).

5. Andersonville. This is such a cool North Side neighborhood, formerly a Swedish enclave and now home to a diverse population, including the largest lesbian community in the city. A somewhat obligatory stop is Ann Sather, an old Swedish restaurant turned Chicago institution -- if you don't want to wait for a table, just pick up some of the amazing, amazing cinnamon rolls at the counter.

Chicago's nightlife is as good as pretty much anywhere. You'll find lots of it in the above neighborhoods, oddly minus the college areas, Evanston and Hyde Park. (I could be wrong about Hyde Park, but I've never hung out there at night and I've never heard anything special.)

I could go on (about NOLA, too), but that should be plenty.

Free Zoo in Lincoln Park? Wow didn't Know That,...That will be added to the itinerary. Can't Visit Obama's House? Dang it. Barley heard of Evanston. Andersonville? Wicker Park? Never heard of em...they sound like cool places. Thanks this was very Informative

Old 05-23-2015, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Chicago to me anyway is not a very interesting destination city, unless of course you're going for some festival. It's more of a living city, the tourist sites to me feel forced and uninteresting, especially for something like your birthday.

NOLA on the other hand oozes with charm, has so many nighttime venues that can cater all tastes whether you want to party until you puke or just have a good time with family and friends. May I suggest Frenchman street. There are also nearby destinations like the beaches of the panhandle if you come for multiple days. Or the swamps.

People have been complaining about the weather but the difference between Chicago and NOLA in the summer is about 5-10 degrees. Not a deal breaker by any means.

Cultural Charm. But Chicago's energy and buzz and and Big City vibe is equally charming Lol least to me.

5--10 degree difference huh....Aw ok ok something to take into account

Old 05-23-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
Trip to the Oak Street Beach Downtown at start of North Michigan Ave . They have a Tiki Bar there too and Trip to top of the John Hancock building on Michigan Ave couple blocks from Oak Street Beach ⤵

BOAT RIDE INTO LAKE MICHIGAN ⤵

NAVY PIER ⤵

"Taste of Chicago" Festival is going on downtown in Grant Park through July 12th.
City of Chicago :: Taste of Chicago

"Art Fest Michigan Ave at Tribune Tower July 10th-12th
Art Fest Michigan Ave | Chicago, Illinois | Jul 10 12, 2015 | Amdur Productions

"Irish Fest" July 10th-12th
Irish American Heritage Center Irish Fest

"Windy City Smokeout BBQ" July 10th-12th
Windy City Smokeout

"Roscoe Village Burger Fest" July 11th-12th
rvcc-burgerfest

"Taste of Lakeview" July 11th-12th
StarEvents Taste of Lakeview is located in the beautiful Lakeview Chicago

"Westfest Chicago" July 11th-12th
West Fest Chicago

I'd say Take a Chicago River/Lake Michigan Boat ride. make sure you do the Lake too. Not just the river ride. You can get them at the River and Michigan Ave of just the Lake from Navy Pier.

http://www.mercurycruises.com/tours/.

https://www.wendellaboats.com/

Chicago Architecture Tours & Navy Pier Speedboats | Seadog Cruises speed boat

Millennium Park is nice
City of Chicago :: Millennium Park

WOOOOOOW Chicago Looks like the bomb

Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Cards on the table. I've never been to New Orleans. I would like to go sometime, but I haven't yet. So I'm not going to vote in this poll.

I will, however, give some options for a trip to Chicago that extends beyond The Loop. And I'm going to assume you've literally never gone anywhere outside of The Loop/downtown area (The Loop, River North, Gold Coast, Streeterville) when I suggest these things. Also, steeps gave a pretty solid list of events that are going on around July 10th, so I won't add any more.

1. The Museum of Science and Industry. Does it have a lot of things to do for kids? Yes. But it's still pretty cool for adults, in my opinion. If you feel like dropping a little extra cash, I would suggest taking the tour of the WWII German submarine in the basement. Unless you're claustrophobic. Then don't do it. You'd have a panic attack and die. Welcome to The Museum of Science and Industry

2. Lincoln Park Zoo. It's free. Don't expect to be blown away by it (I wasn't), but it is pretty good considering you don't have to pay a single cent to wander in there. Lincoln Park Zoo | Chicago | Free and Open to All, 365 days a Year!

3. Wicker Park neighborhood. Good places to eat, good places to drink a beer, good places to walk in and take a look at wares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLFHmBymYrQ

4. Lakeview/Wrigleyville neighborhood. Good places to eat, good places to get sloppy drunk. Also little shops to buy wares. The area around Wrigley Field is packed to the gills with places to get hammered. If you go there during a game, expect drunkeness stumbling everywhere. Is this a recommendation or a warning? You be the judge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77FnFIRyKDA

5. Chinatown and Little Vietnam. Two different neighborhoods on opposite sides of the city. Take Red Line south to the Chinatown stop. Take the Red Line north to get to the Argyle stop. Chinatown isn't huge, and Little Vietnam is smaller, but you can find some good food in either area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTDGFzgdOPI

6. Lincoln Square neighborhood. On Lincoln Avenue you can find some cool little stores and a variety of food options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3zqJITKh8A

7. A comedy show. The most well known is Second City in the Old Town neighborhood. It's also the most expensive and busiest (sold out shows) of the Chicago comedy scene. I think it's still worth it. If you want something a little cheaper and more spur of the moment, check out the iO Theater. iO Chicago - The iO Theater - iO Chicago

8. Beaches. 32 of them inside the city. They're free. The most crowded three are Ohio Street Beach, Oak Street Beach, and North Avenue Beach. Unless it's really hot, or it has been really hot for a while, the water is probably going to be pretty nippy. If that's the case, there's nothing wrong with chilling out for a little bit in the sun, people watching, and watching the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhJ2mZN5x1k

9. Randolph Street in the West Loop. Plenty of quality spots to eat a meal. A popular place is Girl and The Goat. If you want to eat there (I want to go back again), make your reservations now. You probably can't just drop in the day of, or make a reservation a day before, and expect to eat there. A Guide for Navigating Chicago's Restaurant Row on Randolph Street

10. An architecture tour on the river. Learn about buildings. Look at buildings. Pay a decent amount of money to learn about and look at buildings. Or, pay a little bit of money and look at buildings by taking a water taxi on the river. You won't learn anything cool doing it that way, but you'll save money that can later be spent on drinks and wares. https://www.wendellaboats.com/Boat-T...hitecture-Tour

WOOOOOOW CHICAGO LOOKS So Fun....Chicago is the Bomb man. It's Strange cuz every time I meet someone from Chicago they say how the city is not such a good place to live in...But On Paper and on the Internet and from these Pics Chicago looks like THE CITY

Does Anybody from New Orleans Have pics they want to Share
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City