U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Birthday Weekend
Simmer Birthday Weekend in Chicago 34 59.65%
Summer Birthday Weekend in New Orleans 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2015, 02:58 PM
 
11,017 posts, read 21,594,719 times
Reputation: 10646

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, yea, the summer is the low season. You can pretty easily look that up--doesn't really even need to be asked. I mean, it seems weird to not notice it and then also additionally not notice that summer temperatures are pretty noticeably hotter, muggier and generally more uncomfortable in NOLA than Chicago. Of course, it's possible since there's always going to variations based on specific conditions during a visit, but it's just not that probable (though possible).

So now that that's established, your vote is for Chicago?
Yes, June through September is definitely low season, as it can get extremely hot and many people going on vacations tend to go to the south during more winter and spring months. Like you said, google "new Orleans low season" and 50 things pop up right away saying June to around September.

That said, you can get REALLY cheap flights and hotel rooms during this time. My BF and I are getting married in June, and just to go get away from a few days right after we looked at a few places. Flights to New Orleans from Chicago were only $76 round trip and there were 4 star hotels for around $150. We figured.....why not.

The weather as others have said is the main player. Humidity levels average 90% or more in the mornings and 66% in the afternoons, the temperature goes above 90 degrees on 2/3 of the days in July and August and the city gets around 6 inches of rain per month during that time as well.

Chicago would see temps around 5-10 degrees cooler, about 1/3 less rain and humidity levels that are 10% or more lower than New Orleans. It's definitely noticeable in the difference, but New Orleans is fine many days and some people like the heat.

Not sure why the other person posting is SO adamant in his arguments. It's kinda common knowledge that it is hotter, more humid and more rainy in that region during the summer months. There's nothing WRONG with that. It's just the environment. Embrace it or get over it, but don't deny it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Milwaukee
3,451 posts, read 3,167,830 times
Reputation: 2854
This guy made a point to tell us he keeps his thermostat at 78 because 70 is too cold to sleep, yet says 7-8 degrees is "barely discernable?"

LOL

10 degrees at either extreme, be it summer heat or winter cold, is an appreciable difference. Sure, 52 degrees vs 60 may not be a big deal, but on a humid summer day, it can make all the difference in the world. And ask someone in Wisconsin whether a 34 degree day differs from a 26 degree day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
7 degrees warmer isn't something people feel? That's interesting. Add higher humidity, a more intense sun, and much less likelihood of a cooling breeze. How about that? You basically don't really have any legs to stand on for this argument. Sure, it's not a deal breaker, but it is what it is.
Why don't we try reading what I wrote:

Quote:
being 7 degrees warmer doesn't make a big difference.
So do you think 7 degrees makes a big difference? I'm saying that the difference in weather is not significant enough to be a mark against NOLA. And it isn't except for a risk of a hurricane.

Quote:
Again, local conditions/experiences change. How do you think averages, mediums, etc. work?
The SD in NOLA during the summer is much smaller than the SD in Chicago. NOLA varies by a couple degrees from day to day, Chicago by 10 or so degrees. In July there will be a period of 10 or so days when temps stay from 88 to 96 in Chicago. So probabilistically, that's a 33% chance he will have exactly the same weather going to Chicago as NOLA. The other 67% is his weather will be in a range of 5-10 degrees cooler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:11 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Reputation: 10258
Anyways, let's get back to posting summer events and attractions in both cities.

Boats and beaches in Chicago are pretty fun. That lake is pretty big.

You can also kayak through downtown on the Chicago River among the skyscrapers. Sure, that's still downtown, but it's an interesting way of experiencing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:14 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Why don't we try reading what I wrote:



So do you think 7 degrees makes a big difference? I'm saying that the difference in weather is not significant enough to be a mark against NOLA. And it isn't except for a risk of a hurricane.



The SD in NOLA during the summer is much smaller than the SD in Chicago. NOLA varies by a couple degrees from day to day, Chicago by 10 or so degrees. In July there will be a period of 10 or so days when temps stay from 88 to 96 in Chicago. So probabilistically, that's a 33% chance he will have exactly the same weather going to Chicago as NOLA. The other 67% is his weather will be in a range of 5-10 degrees cooler.
Yes, let's try. It makes a difference. You will feel it. Whether or not it's big to someone is dependent on that person. Is it true that you need your thermostat at 78 because 70 is too cold to sleep? Is the ability to sleep or not something that goes into making a big difference? Okay, how about that 70 is damp and chilly and the 78 is not?

Thanks for proving my point with those stats. Good job?

Honestly, I don't get why you keep on going on with this. Facts are facts. There isn't much warping you can do on that.

If you want to have more fun with this, try finding what the apparent temperature difference between the two cities for the summer are. Apparent temperature takes into account air temperature, relative humidity, and wind speed. Keep in mind, generally people are going stay within 5 miles or less of Lake Michigan when they go to Chicago, so extra brownie points if you find a sensor point in that range.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-27-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yes, let's try. It makes a difference. You will feel it.
You don't understand the point. You and several other people recommended against NOLA for this 7 degree difference. You really think this small, and let's be honest, it isn't significant, feel in air temperature should be the reason he goes to Chicago? You're making it out there is a big difference, there isn't. Now in the winter there is, a 40 degree difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:19 PM
 
11,017 posts, read 21,594,719 times
Reputation: 10646
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
The SD in NOLA during the summer is much smaller than the SD in Chicago. NOLA varies by a couple degrees from day to day, Chicago by 10 or so degrees. In July there will be a period of 10 or so days when temps stay from 88 to 96 in Chicago. So probabilistically, that's a 33% chance he will have exactly the same weather going to Chicago as NOLA. The other 67% is his weather will be in a range of 5-10 degrees cooler.
I don't know why you're so worked up about this. 7 degrees cooler on average with 1/3 less rain and humidities on average 10% lower WILL make it feel different. I mean it's just a simple fact.

Chicago on average will reach 90 degrees on 3 days in June, 6 days in July and 4 days in August. Half the month it doesn't even get above 84. If you're seeing a 10 day period of 88-96 degrees in Chicago it's very extreme. It's POSSIBLE, but not NORMAL.

You have to go back 3 years to even find one day that it got up to 96 degrees.

Of course that's at the airport too, about 19 miles away from downtown. The dense areas of the city, downtown, the lakefront areas are all going to be cooler with lower humidity on average as the lake is in the 70's and makes it much more pleasant than if you go out to the airport or the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:21 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
You don't understand the point. You and several other people recommended against NOLA for this 7 degree difference. You really think this small, and let's be honest, it isn't significant, feel in air temperature should be the reason he goes to Chicago? You're making it out there is a big difference, there isn't. Now in the winter there is, a 40 degree difference.
No, you don't quite get it. This was one factor that was pointed out. No one was saying this was a deal breaker, but you're acting like someone did. And then you backed it up with anecdotes of how you felt and try to roll out the averages by talking about specific times you were there. No one cares. Add to that you repeatedly harp on the 7 degrees average difference as the only thing that made New Orleans hotter when it was also the greater humidity and the cooling breeze. Go ahead and find the apparent temperature difference.

Oh, there's also the wonderful tangent arguing about high season and low season in New Orleans which was apparent and was easily looked up at any point, but your whole thing seems to be reduced down to quibbling about anything, however wrong, that didn't seem to fit your personal favoring of New Orleans over Chicago.

Good show, dude, I think we all get it because it's pretty transparent.

Now does anyone want to get back to the idea of listing interesting places for the guy to see and do on his birthday weekend?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-27-2015 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Miami Beach, FL/Tokyo, Japan
1,699 posts, read 1,482,534 times
Reputation: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, you don't quite get it. This was one factor that was pointed out. No one was saying this was a deal breaker, but you're acting like someone did. And then you backed it up with anecdotes of how you felt and try to roll out the averages by talking about specific times. No one cares. Add to that you repeatedly harp on the 7 degrees average difference as the only thing that made New Orleans hotter when it was also the greater humidity and the cooling breeze. Go ahead and find the apparent temperature difference.
Well you're the one quibbling with me. I told him to not be discouraged by various statements, the difference is small. I gave him some statistics, as well as my experience. Then you guys jumped on me. I'm probably one of the few people who have simultaneously been in both (Chicago/NOLA) in July. Have you? Have you been to even one of them in July?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 03:36 PM
 
Location: In the heights
20,175 posts, read 21,776,227 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Well you're the one quibbling with me. I told him to not be discouraged by various statements, the difference is small. I gave him some statistics, as well as my experience. Then you guys jumped on me. I'm probably one of the few people who have simultaneously been in both (Chicago/NOLA) in July. Have you? Have you been to even one of them in July?
No, I have actually never existed during July. I can say that as an absolutely truthful and actual statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top