U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birthday Weekend
Simmer Birthday Weekend in Chicago 34 59.65%
Summer Birthday Weekend in New Orleans 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 12:38 PM

5,794 posts, read 6,348,562 times

Advertisements

Happy Birthday!! Enjoy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 01:25 PM

29 posts, read 20,408 times
I would suggest the architectural boat tour - really great. I would also suggest checking out the lakefront itself north of Navy Pier by a little bit (start at the Ohio Street beach). The entire lakefront is public and there's bike/walking paths, some cafes, parks etc along there. The path itself spans for 18 miles. There's been a river walk extension opened up recently too which is nice. You can have a drink or snack there or some of the beaches north of Navy Pier along the lake like Ohio Street and Oak Street beach have places where you can have a drink/bite to eat.

By the way, where the Taste of Chicago is, is almost always colder than most of the rest of the city. If you even go north of the river, it will get warmer, sometimes by 5 degrees. If you go inland even a half mile from the lake, it will get warmer (especially not in the Loop). Keep that in mind. What you're experiencing now is probably 5 degrees colder than 99% of the city.

If you want nightlife downtown also, go north of the river to areas like River North, Streeterville, and Gold Coast. Many other places outside of downtown too.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:57 PM

602 posts, read 556,840 times
^ cool, I'm at the Navy Pier now, about to ride the Ferris wheel I see the architectural boat tours you're talking about, Words, Google and Wikipedia don't do this city justice

Old 07-11-2015, 03:07 PM

^ Yeah it's a great city. Today is a little chilly I guess, but still nice out. A lot to do. If you want to check out some neighborhoods outside of downtown for a beginner I'd recommend ones like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park (the 6 corner area of Damen, Milwaukee, and North Avenue. Damen Blue Line stop), Lakeview (this is the general area where the Cubs play - but it's a big neighborhood). Gold Coast is nice too even though it's considered downtown, some parts of it feel more like a neighborhood. There's a few good spots there like Mariano Park and Connors Park, which are more like plazas but a lot of people hang out at them and it's pretty vibrant.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwwwc View Post
^ Yeah it's a great city. Today is a little chilly I guess, but still nice out. A lot to do. If you want to check out some neighborhoods outside of downtown for a beginner I'd recommend ones like Lincoln Park, Wicker Park (the 6 corner area of Damen, Milwaukee, and North Avenue. Damen Blue Line stop), Lakeview (this is the general area where the Cubs play - but it's a big neighborhood). Gold Coast is nice too even though it's considered downtown, some parts of it feel more like a neighborhood. There's a few good spots there like Mariano Park and Connors Park, which are more like plazas but a lot of people hang out at them and it's pretty vibrant.

Yeah it was, I was at the Beach (31st street beach to be exact) and there were people at the Beach with their Jackets on in July! and Man was Lake Michigan cold, I'm talking giant glass of water filled to the top with ice cubes cold,,guess you have to go to Florida or Alabama for real beaches

Old 07-12-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Yeah it was, I was at the Beach (31st street beach to be exact) and there were people at the Beach with their Jackets on in July! and Man was Lake Michigan cold, I'm talking giant glass of water filled to the top with ice cubes cold,,guess you have to go to Florida or Alabama for real beaches
That's random - why did you go to that beach instead of one of the popular ones like Oak Street or North Avenue? Anyway - the lake is huge but it's either one extreme or the other with temperature. You don't have as much current going on as the ocean, so things work a little differently. The last few years since it's been colder than normal, the lake water temperature is colder than usual for this time of year. No question about that. If you came in 2012 around the same time, you would have experienced another extreme with water in the 80s.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:19 PM

A local told us that was one of the best beaches,... Was he playing a joke on us,... I knew and I told my family that there were probably better ones ...did they listen? No

Old 07-12-2015, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
A local told us that was one of the best beaches,... Was he playing a joke on us,... I knew and I told my family that there were probably better ones ...did they listen? No
It's not bad, but in no way is it the best beach. Should have listened to me. The best beaches are north of Navy Pier. Oak Street Beach, North Avenue Beach, and Montrose Beach. Oak Street beach has some awesome "right in the middle of the skyline" feeling to it. If you're still in town, you should go there and grab a drink at the bar there.

http://media.sdreader.com/img/photos...ebf11d604414e5

Old 07-12-2015, 09:35 PM

Lol no not in the city left Chicagoland earlier after visiting Woodfield Mall and the Chicago Premium Outlets both have some Great Shopping going on, got a hat and two shirts from the Premium Outlets

But any whoo we left Chicago about 6 hours ago and are STILL in southern Illinois lol , didn't realize Illinois was so big (granted, we did make a couple of stops and avoided toll roads so gps took us along a longer route) Yes six hours of small towns and corn field's far as the eye can see

Old 07-12-2015, 09:43 PM

Well it's not a small state - most of the rest of Illinois is pretty boring. Hope you enjoyed yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City