Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Birthday Weekend
Simmer Birthday Weekend in Chicago 34 59.65%
Summer Birthday Weekend in New Orleans 23 40.35%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 10:49 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,338,961 times

Advertisements

One important thing too is going out at night. Chicago will cool off comfortably. Not cool enough to need a jacket most likely, but cool enough to be comfortable after a hot muggy day. Nola most likely won't cool off at night and could be miserable to go out in to experience the famous Nola nightlife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
People have been complaining about the weather but the difference between Chicago and NOLA in the summer is about 5-10 degrees. Not a deal breaker by any means.
LOL

Take away the direct sunlight; take away the added humidity in NOLA; take away the breezes in Chicago, especially the cooling ones near the Lake. You're still talking the difference between spending all day outside in the 90s vs the 80s; you're still talking the average nightly temperatures in the 60s/70s vs 80s. That's pretty HOT for someone who wants to relax and check out the sights.

Temperatures are more pleasant for 99% of the population in Chicago vs NOLA during the height of summer. It's just a fact.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:50 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
One important thing too is going out at night. Chicago will cool off comfortably. Not cool enough to need a jacket most likely, but cool enough to be comfortable after a hot muggy day. Nola most likely won't cool off at night and could be miserable to go out in to experience the famous Nola nightlife.
The difference is again 7 degrees.

Chicago averages 68 in the morning, NOLA 75. We're not talking any appreciable difference, most people will barely notice it, some might not even notice it. Either way, it's not going to keep anyone inside.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:55 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times
Quote:
The difference is again 7 degrees.

Chicago averages 68 in the morning, NOLA 75. We're not talking any appreciable difference, most people will barely notice it, some might not even notice it. Either way, it's not going to keep anyone inside.
In my home there's a big difference between 63 degrees and 70 degrees as to which one is cool and comfortable, and I can tell the difference, I imagine pretty much anyone can feel a 7 degree difference. And we are not just talking degrees, but humidity, winds, and amount of sunshine, as well as probability for hotter days.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
I happened to do a July in New Orleans (vacation) when I was staying in Minneapolis. The difference was noticeable but not extreme. During the day I and plenty of other people were walking, going into and out of little shops, etc. At night was of course when New Orleans truly came alive.

Point is, the weather is not a deal breaker or even really that 'bad'. Chicago gets plenty of 90 degree days, they're just more broken up by 80 and 70 degree days. There is a good probability the OP will book his trip when the weather in NOLA and Chicago are about the same despite the average being 7 degrees cooler in Chicago.

NOLA in the summer is a lot more stable than Chicago, meaning it's pretty much the same high everyday, whereas Chicago is constantly oscillating from one cold front to the other in a 75-95 degree range.
Yea, weather has variability--so we're talking about using the average here. On average it's 7 degrees, but it might be smaller. By the same token, it might also be greater. Averages. There is a much higher probability that the weather in Chicago will be cooler than in NOLA than that they will be the same. There is a probability that NOLA will be much hotter than Chicago--because we're using averages.

I'm not sure why this is a point of contention. Weather is a pretty big component of why summer is the low season for tourism in New Orleans. You'll certainly save some money going during the summer compared to other seasons, but that's because it's got a good chance of being uncomfortably hot for many people. It's certainly not a dealbreaker, but it's enough to have swayed people in bulk in terms of visiting.

With that as just one factor among others, Chicago seems like a better choice.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, weather has variability--so we're talking about using the average here. On average it's 7 degrees, but it might be smaller. By the same token, it might also be greater. Averages. There is a much higher probability that the weather in Chicago will be cooler than in NOLA than that they will be the same. There is a probability that NOLA will be much hotter than Chicago--because we're using averages.

I'm not sure why this is a point of contention. Weather is a pretty big component of why summer is the low season for tourism in New Orleans. You'll certainly save some money going during the summer compared to other seasons, but that's because it's got a good chance of being uncomfortably hot for many people. It's certainly not a dealbreaker, but it's enough to have swayed people in bulk in terms of visiting.

With that as just one factor among others, Chicago seems like a better choice.
Is summer the low season in NOLA? I have been in February (Mardi Gras), May and July. Between May and July I didn't see a difference. Certainly in February there was for their largest festival.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Is summer the low season in NOLA? I have been in February (Mardi Gras), May and July. Between May and July I didn't see a difference. Certainly in February there was for their largest festival.
Well, yea, the summer is the low season. You can pretty easily look that up--doesn't really even need to be asked. I mean, it seems weird to not notice it and then also additionally not notice that summer temperatures are pretty noticeably hotter, muggier and generally more uncomfortable in NOLA than Chicago. Of course, it's possible since there's always going to variations based on specific conditions during a visit, but it's just not that probable (though possible).

So now that that's established, your vote is for Chicago?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
So now that that's established, your vote is for Chicago?
Of course not, being 7 degrees warmer doesn't make a big difference. I'm not sure if anything is established either, NOLA is pretty busy in July and the hotels I paid for weren't cheaper than the ones I paid in May.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:50 PM

42 posts, read 72,249 times
I'd pick Chicago, personally.

How cool would it be to go see the Cubbies and the White Sox play at Wrigley (which they do that weekend-I checked)? That's gotta be a blast.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Of course not, being 7 degrees warmer doesn't make a big difference. I'm not sure if anything is established either, NOLA is pretty busy in July and the hotels I paid for weren't cheaper than the ones I paid in May.
7 degrees warmer isn't something people feel? That's interesting. Add higher humidity, a more intense sun, and much less likelihood of a cooling breeze. How about that? You basically don't really have any legs to stand on for this argument. Sure, it's not a deal breaker, but it is what it is.

Again, local conditions/experiences change. How do you think averages, mediums, etc. work?

Either can probably work for the guy. New Orleans might actually be significantly cheaper for a lot of things, so he might actually be able to splurge on more things here and there than in Chicago. Personally, I'd go with Chicago as there's more to do. He's already leaning towards it anyhow. Probably what makes more sense is to do more of pointing towards what there is to see and do, then see which potential itinerary is more appealing. Either one could be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City