U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM

14,304 posts, read 17,958,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
Just begging.
Do you have anything more intelligent to say? No offense, but if you were to take someone from LA, put them in Chicago for a few days and then drive them to a place like Fort Dodge, Iowa, I guarantee you most would beg to go back to some place like Chicago and I've seen it happen first hand. I remember when I had to take my ex from a large city in Asia to a wedding in a small city in Iowa. The first thing she wanted to do was go back.

The fact of the matter is that Chicago is easily the lease midwestern place in the Midwest. Most people who think it's the same as a Des Moines, IA have not spent time in the real midwest. It is a good deal different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 12:38 PM

11,020 posts, read 21,599,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Do you have anything more intelligent to say? No offense, but if you were to take someone from LA, put them in Chicago for a few days and then drive them to a place like Fort Dodge, Iowa, I guarantee you most would beg to go back to some place like Chicago and I've seen it happen first hand. I remember when I had to take my ex from a large city in Asia to a wedding in a small city in Iowa. The first thing she wanted to do was go back.

The fact of the matter is that Chicago is easily the lease midwestern place in the Midwest. Most people who think it's the same as a Des Moines, IA have not spent time in the real midwest. It is a good deal different.
I agree, but you will probably find this anywhere. Take someone to LA, Seattle or San Fran and then drive them out to Bakersfield, Fresno, Reno or Spokane they're probaby going to want to go back. They're just bigger and there's more to do. Nothing wrong with those other cities, but just like Des Moines (which is a great city), if you're in Chicago or San Fran and you throw someone from overseas in Des Moines or Bakersfield.....

Or if you have someone in Houston, Dallas or Atlanta and then send them to Little Rock, Jackson or Chattanooga, it shouldn't be surprising if they want to spend their last 4 days back in the larger metros than the smaller ones.

I think one area it differs between regions is that Seattle, San Fran, LA and Las Vegas are all hard core destinations for a lot of tourists and visitors within their regions. They're all vaguely set up the same, have densities, ammenities, etc. Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and areas in Florida are the same for the southeast. They're all vaguely set up the same, similar in sizes and how big they can feel, their design. In the northeast you have NYC, DC, Boston, Philly. Again, they're all vaguely similar in design, they're dense, they're destinations.

In the Midwest Chicago seems to stand out a bit on its own as far as the impact of the city, the density over a large area, the established transit system, just the sheer size of the place and its location on the lake. I love the Midwest and I'm from here, but there just isn't anywhere else that's designed like Chicago, that has the similar scale. Not saying Chicago is BETTER, but it doesn't really have an peers like cities do out west, south and northeast. Even when my college friends come in from Minneapolis or my BF's family comes over from Detroit. Those two are just on different levels than Chicago and it's very obvious just hanging out with our visitors. Detroit was probably a close peer until the 80s', and then Chicago stopped declining and started clawing back, and Detroit kept up the slide. Now as far as built environments and the energy of the city they're quite different overall. They both have ghetto areas that are in rough shape, but Chicago has the massive areas that are dense and thriving. Detroit just doesn't.

This is just speaking for central cities. Suburban, there are differences but really if I'm in a suburban area of Los Angeles, Seattle, Boston, Orlando, Atlanta, Chicago, St Louis or Denver it's really not THAT different. Differences, but people can function pretty easy no matter where they are. They understand how to get around and are low stress. Put people in different central cities though and the true regional differences show pretty quick regarding people who aren't use to traveling back and forth to other central cities that much (like many of us on here are).

Old 06-02-2015, 01:14 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,170,372 times
Quote:

Like was just said above, there's no difference between taking someone out of LA and throwing them out into tweekerland or taking someone out of Chicago and putting them in Dodge, IA.

What you are contending is that Chicago is SO DIFFERENT from the rest of the Midwest, that if you took someone from outside the region to any other Midwestern locale they'd be BEGGING to get back to big ol pappy Chicago. Minneapolis? Sorry about that Middle Eastern native, I realize I never should have taken you out into the 'orrible Real Midwest, even for a second. Madison? No problem, we'll be back in the broad shoulders within a few hours. Milwaukee? Sorry about that, I know you're just dying over there, but we're only 75 miles from the one place in the Midwest that is SO DIFFERENT, so VERY DIFFERENT, that you will NOT in fact be begging to leave within a single wiff. Columbus? Cleveland? Detroit? St Louis? Straight-up Midwest to the core. Chicago? Like a completely different world.

Can't you understand how demeaning, off-target and ridiculous you were being?

Old 06-02-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Can't you understand how demeaning, off-target and ridiculous you were being?
I grew up in the Midwest (though spent a lot of time in LA and somewhat in NYC). I went to college in the Midwest. I know exactly where you're coming from by saying you think it's demeaning, but in the end I'm sorry, if you really think that spending time in somewhere like Fort Dodge, IA is no different than Chicago then you have a ton to learn.

Chicago is not completely different than a Milwaukee - if you read that I agreed with that other guy saying it's "midwest light" then you'd realize this. However, it is different than most cities in the midwest and it's not off center to say it has more ethnic stuff and more cosmopolitan stuff going on than pretty much anywhere else in the region. I'm sorry, but you can't contend to me that Des Moines, IA or Green Bay, WI or Duluth, MN or Indianapolis has more of that stuff going on. And there's some other stuff I'd say but I'll sound demeaning, so I won't say it.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,170,372 times
You claimed that if you took someone outside Chicago to anywhere in the Midwest they would be begging to return. You did not specify Fort Dodge, IA, until later. In fact, 2 of us pointed out that Chicago is as different to Fort Dodge, IA as LA is different from a backwater in-state. Or how about NYC vs Malone, NY? Why are you deflecting using a rural vs urban comparison that can literally be used in every state and region in the country? You know that you were comparing Chicago with anywhere in the Midwest, including Minneapolis, St Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc. You said everyone would be begging to leave those places and return to Chicago, which is so unlike everywhere else in the Midwest. YOU are the only one contending ridiculous things here, not me or anyone else. Why you don't recant or back away from the earlier statements, well, it is a bit puzzling...

Old 06-02-2015, 03:16 PM

5,602 posts, read 3,481,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Agree with this. I'm originally from the east coast, and have also lived in other parts of the Midwest. Chicago is definitely not stereotypically Midwestern. It definitely does have Midwestern qualities, but I would classify it as 'Midwest-light." The strong historic, blue collar ethnic presence and neighborhoods along with a strong white collar, busy business distrct in the Loop with a large Finance, Consulting, and Law presence gives it somewhat of an east coast feel; although definitely not on the level of NYC, Philly, or Boston. It just doesn't feel as stereotypically Midwestern as some people may think.
IMO, no large city in ANY region of the nation will feel "stereotypical". Going to Atlanta doesnt feel overly southern. Going to Phoenix doesnt feel stereotypical Southwestern. Visiting Chicago wont feel completely Midwestern, etc, etc, etc.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
You claimed that if you took someone outside Chicago to anywhere in the Midwest they would be begging to return. You did not specify Fort Dodge, IA, until later. In fact, 2 of us pointed out that Chicago is as different to Fort Dodge, IA as LA is different from a backwater in-state. Or how about NYC vs Malone, NY? Why are you deflecting using a rural vs urban comparison that can literally be used in every state and region in the country? You know that you were comparing Chicago with anywhere in the Midwest, including Minneapolis, St Louis, Detroit, Milwaukee, Cleveland, etc. You said everyone would be begging to leave those places and return to Chicago, which is so unlike everywhere else in the Midwest. YOU are the only one contending ridiculous things here, not me or anyone else. Why you don't recant or back away from the earlier statements, well, it is a bit puzzling...
So you honestly think that Chicago overall is really that similar to Minneapolis, Milwaukee, St. Louis, Cleveland, etc?

Old 06-02-2015, 03:50 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times
Quote:

Or you can take them to Madison, Wisconsin (and nearby Driftless Area) which is only 120-130 miles northwest from most of Chicago proper and is a nice enough place to where most sane people wouldn't have any complaints of it.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Or you can take them to Madison, Wisconsin (and nearby Driftless Area) which is only 120-130 miles northwest from most of Chicago proper and is a nice enough place to where most sane people wouldn't have any complaints of it.
Okay I'm not saying everywhere else in the Midwest is bad. I'm saying if you take someone like that to a more typical Midwest place, such as...Fort Dodge, Iowa, or let's say Fargo, ND or hmm....Lafayette, IN...it's going to be a lot different than Chicago. I have lived in a few cities in the midwest that were under 100,000 people and I always laugh when people think that Chicago is typically Midwest.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:09 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,732,352 times
To your initial point about someone from Los Angeles relocating to Chicago and pondering of what to see nearby.

There shouldn't be anything to ponder. Chicago as a city in the Midwest more or less fills all of a persons' needs quite nicely. Whether you are Vietnamese, Indian, Chinese, Polish, German, Russian, Mexican, El Salvadoran, or whatever else - Chicago is going to be the big city of the Midwest for you. With nearly 10 million people and a region that spans several counties in two additional states in addition to its own host state, with a nicely laid out grid and infrastructural mode transit in every way (commuter, heavy, freeways, highways, bike lanes, trails, pedestrian walkways, so on). It leaves little else to be desired for a big city.

Now what Chicago cannot offer and its deficiencies within the city proper are immediate natural environments and a small, charming, smalltown vibe and culture. That is what Madison, Wisconsin is for and the shores of Western Michigan, as well as the Driftless Area to the northwest and Manistee National Forest in Western Michigan.

As a person, that essentially should lock up every need a person can have with the area they live in and all of it is within reasonable distance from Chicago.

Honestly, that is all the Midwest a Chicago area person would need to enjoy a versatile way of life (and that is without even expanding into the remainder of the Midwest). There is lots of nice areas in Wisconsin just north of Chicagoland, like Walworth County where Lake Geneva is where you can truly go out and enjoy being outdoors during the summer, perhaps horse-back riding.

I understand the conversation was about whether Chicago is or not a typical Midwestern city, which I am not sure if I have an opinion on, but just wanted to explain that everything needed to enjoy oneself is within reach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or