Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Outside of NYC/Mexico City, which metro area experiences the biggest transit crush?
Greater LA 3 9.09%
SF Bay Area 1 3.03%
Chicagoland 7 21.21%
Greater Toronto 12 36.36%
Greater Montreal 2 6.06%
Metro DC 7 21.21%
Metro Boston 1 3.03%
Metro Philly 0 0%
Metro Vancouver 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:13 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Juuust another day riding the subway in Toronto...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVM5TmDtdek
Is that normal or just the result of some delays? I've been in situations like that before in some transit systems in the US. I'm wondering though how often these trains come? Chicago used to experience a lot more like this, but the city started sending in trains a few years ago to those areas every 2 or 3 minutes and it's much more manageable now. Some lines in NYC have also surprised me, at least during the day - I haven't been too much on "I can barely move" trains there in my now 10 month assignment there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 09:19 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,453,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post

Bloor/Yonge is also the busiest subway station in North America w/ 400,000 passengers per day. (busier than any NYC subway station).
That place is CLEAN! Never experienced that up in New York. Even looks better than DC and Marta in Atlanta.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:16 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,335,229 times
Quote:
I'll go ahead and post that I feel that it's greater Toronto, by a fairly large margin. In the GTA, buses in suburban Brampton and Mississauga are often PACKED, the TTC alone gets over 1 million bus riders, ~1 million subway riders and ~300k streetcar riders. The suburban bus/BR networks are also fairly sizeable.
Yes, it's definitely Toronto. Very small, limited system, but very high ridership.

Quote:
Bloor/Yonge is also the busiest subway station in North America w/ 400,000 passengers per day. (busier than any NYC subway station).
LOL, no, not even close. Times Square is, by far, the busiest station in North America. I don't think Toronto has a station in the Top 10 in North America. I think the Top 10 stations are all in NYC and Mexico City.

Toronto has high ridership, but a small fraction of the ridership in NYC and Mexico City. Those cities have like 7-8 times the daily ridership.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:01 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,877,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Is that normal or just the result of some delays? I've been in situations like that before in some transit systems in the US. I'm wondering though how often these trains come? Chicago used to experience a lot more like this, but the city started sending in trains a few years ago to those areas every 2 or 3 minutes and it's much more manageable now. Some lines in NYC have also surprised me, at least during the day - I haven't been too much on "I can barely move" trains there in my now 10 month assignment there.
I'd say that would be pretty typical during peak periods without delays.. Yonge/Bloor as the OP said is really just a dogs breakfast.. For the lines we have they are very strained.. Its not a surprise really, outside NYC and Mexico city those lines serve some of the most densely populated areas on the continent.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yes, it's definitely Toronto. Very small, limited system, but very high ridership.

LOL, no, not even close. Times Square is, by far, the busiest station in North America. I don't think Toronto has a station in the Top 10 in North America. I think the Top 10 stations are all in NYC and Mexico City.

Toronto has high ridership, but a small fraction of the ridership in NYC and Mexico City. Those cities have like 7-8 times the daily ridership.
Actually Toronto's subway system has the same number of stations as Montreal (T.O has one more station 69 vs Montreal's 68).. I prefer the way Montreal's is designed but Montreal's is certainly not larger than Toronto with Toronto/Ontario putting in far more money into Transit infrastructure these days. Don't forget as well Toronto also has a streetcar system which is technically the busiest on the continent depending on how you define it.

Light rail in North America - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

According to this Toronto has 31 stations U/C construction as we speak and 22 more approved

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_rapid_transit

As for Bloor/Yonge not being in the top ten - do you have stats on that? I don't think anyone would expect Toronto to have busier transit systems than Mex city or NYC lol but it solidly has the third highest transit ridership (note I didn't say subway transit I said overall transit ridership) on the continent so Bloor Yonge might actually rank higher than you think.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-24-2015 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 12:18 PM

Maybe some more information to back up Toronto:

Line 1 Yonge

It would appear that the Yonge-university line is the second busiest rapid transit line in N.A after IRT Lexington Ave line in NYC. Might help support that Yonge/Bloor subway station is one of the busiest as well.

Old 05-24-2015, 12:32 PM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Maybe some more information to back up Toronto:

Line 1 Yonge

It would appear that the Yonge-university line is the second busiest rapid transit line in N.A after IRT Lexington Ave line in NYC. Might help support that Yonge/Bloor subway station is one of the busiest as well.
Makes sense to me.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,920,176 times
Quote:
I'd say that would be pretty typical during peak periods without delays.. Yonge/Bloor as the OP said is really just a dogs breakfast.. For the lines we have they are very strained.. Its not a surprise really, outside NYC and Mexico city those lines serve some of the most densely populated areas on the continent.
Have they played around with sending trains at shorter intervals (if they can)?

Old 05-24-2015, 02:10 PM

1,669 posts, read 4,241,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictSonic View Post
It's Montreal...to my surprise. DC is second in the US. DC is likely going to go up and come close to crossing the million mark because WMATA just opened a new line, and finished a multi-year repair schedule on the red line. At the same time...the orange and blue line now need major repairs. We are getting new trains though (yeah). But we also have a much more extensive system. I think we are the only mass transit system that goes pretty deep into the suburbs.
List of North American rapid transit systems by ridership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking, and it seems every city has a love/hate relationship with their metro systems. As much as we complain about metro in DC, many of us are paying a great deal of money for housing to live near transit.
Those figures are just for rapid transit, Toronto has a higher overall transit ridership than Montreal.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:02 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,856,342 times
The only two transit systems I have extensive experience with is Los Angeles and Boston.

None of the train lines in LA really get all that "crushed"; They are busy but you are not smashed against someone.

However the bus lines do get really crowded.

It's pretty much the opposite in my experience in Boston.

The Green Line would often get packed like sardines, and sometimes parts of the Red Line. But the buses were usually less crowded. Still full, but pretty easy to find a seat or at least a decent place to stand.

I don't think either are really at the forefront of the discussion. Toronto sounds like it "wins."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City