U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 09:42 AM

25 posts, read 16,926 times

Advertisements

Detroit held a population of roughly 1.9 million people at a time. Now it is at about 700000. Does that mean you love Detroit because it must be your favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2017, 11:00 AM

11,493 posts, read 5,561,007 times
I don't think the suburbs make a city feel bigger, it's more like the level of amenities found within the core and the overall walkability/urban vibe.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:20 AM

8,642 posts, read 8,781,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I don't think the suburbs make a city feel bigger, it's more like the level of amenities found within the core and the overall walkability/urban vibe.
Depends on the type of Suburbs, Somerville, Quincy, Brookline, Revere, Winthrop, Malden, Everett, Watertown, etc the kind of suburbs that add to the urban footprint do make cities feel bigger.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 PM

27,754 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
DC in relation does feel a good bit larger than Atlanta because of it's urbanity and to me their MSA populations aren't really that close, not to even mention CSA. Atlanta stretches much much further with almost half the amount of density just to reach 5 or 6 million people. I have lived in both and although I don't proclaim DC as a mega city nor Atlanta as a small podunk town, there is a difference in intensity and energy of how both places feel to me.
Intensity and energy, sure. That doesn't necessarily translate to a place feeling bigger to me though, and I'm speaking in general. It just depends on which cities we're comparing. But anyway, I never made the argument that Atlanta feels bigger than DC (although it does feel more expansive, and is actually so) so I'm not sure why some seem to be stuck on that.

But for a more apples to apples comparison, Philly's core feels bigger than DC's core to me (and I'm really not paying attention to city limits) and a big part of that is because of Philly's skyline. Metro DC is, of course, larger but I don't have much experience with Philly's PA suburbs to make that comparison on a metropolitan basis.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 10-28-2017 at 12:17 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 12:48 PM

216 posts, read 90,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Cincinnati. City population of 298,000--metro population of almost 2.2 million (Ohio's largest MSA). Very soon the Cincinnati/Dayton corridor ("CIN-DAY") will become a combined metro of nearly 3.2 million people.
Some more things to factor in is that the population has been that large, or larger, for well over 100 years. And at its peak, the city population was over 500k. Also, historically it was one of the top 10 biggest cities in the US for a long time. So, you definitely think of Cincinnati as being a big city before a lot of these other newer cities which technically have a larger city proper population, but are basically just sprawling suburbs with relatively small metro populations.

Old 10-28-2017, 01:48 PM

3,504 posts, read 2,731,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Intensity and energy, sure. That doesn't necessarily translate to a place feeling bigger to me though, and I'm speaking in general. It just depends on which cities we're comparing. But anyway, I never made the argument that Atlanta feels bigger than DC (although it does feel more expansive, and is actually so) so I'm not sure why some seem to be stuck on that.

But for a more apples to apples comparison, Philly's core feels bigger than DC's core to me (and I'm really not paying attention to city limits) and a big part of that is because of Philly's skyline. Metro DC is, of course, larger but I don't have much experience with Philly's PA suburbs to make that comparison on a metropolitan basis.
I agree with you. And Metro DC is only slightly larger, and this is very, very recent (as of the 2016 Census Estimate recent). Additionally, DC's MSA consumes a bit more land (not by much, but enough), while Philly's Urban Area is smaller. To me, Philadelphia is still the second largest "city" on the East Coast, even when accounting for DC and Boston's daytime population swells. Bigger skyline, larger uninterrupted urban core and, when compared to DC, satellite cities further from the core that are more traditionally urban (Wilmington, Trenton, Reading, etc.). I'm not talking in terms of influence or GDP, as DC is obviously larger in those areas, but just in terms of big city "feel", when driving in, walking about and appearance.

In terms of big city "feel" and surrounding suburbs, I'd say Philly>Boston>DC, but this is all very subjective. In 10 years, perhaps this won't be so subjective, but as of now, I'd say DC has the second largest influence on the East Coast, followed by Boston and Philadelphia, but in purely urban terms (including surrounding core cities and suburbs), Philly is still #2.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:15 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,002,159 times
The Boston metro doesn't feel in anyway bigger than DC to me. I agree with you about "feel" on Philly but even then, it's hard to say for me because of DC sharing a CSA with another metro and a pretty seamless transition IMO giving the entire region a much "larger" feel. Philly's city and core definitely give off that larger feel you mentioned however.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-28-2017 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-28-2017, 07:26 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,458 posts, read 3,002,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Alexandria was never part of the D.C. as was Arlington.
The two were never incorporated with DC, but their land mass was originally destined as a part of a 100 sq mi "diamond district" until Virginia took the land West of the river back.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:53 PM

4,814 posts, read 2,215,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I never thought Atlanta felt big at all. It's comparable in size to Miami, but Miami feels much bigger -- and more dense.

I'll agree with DC though. It definitely feels bigger than it is.
Miami as a city is only 35 square miles & 456,000 population? now but it feels like a huge city.
Even into its nearby suburbs you can't tell when Miami ends and its suburbs begin unless a sign instructs you due to how dense it is. They just seem to flow into each other without a break in urbanity.
It's also crazy how Miami's suburbs just end completely at the Everglades.
There is nothing comparable to it in the south.

Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 PM

1,043 posts, read 419,020 times
Bigger

Oklahoma City
Atlanta
Cincinnati (anyone who's experienced that god awful connector will attest to this)
Nashville
Detroit (despite losing 2/3rds of its peak population, it still just feels so much bigger because of the infrastructure left behind)

Smaller

Raleigh-Durham
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or