U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 10:01 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Well Atlanta is EASILY explained because the city ITSELF is ABOUT 600k. Atlanta, like D.C. is a smallish core city with large suburbs.

Austin, big do you think it is? Its over 900K residents but unlike Atlanta or D.C. has small suburbs. Its still bigger than Charlotte, Raleigh, Memphis and Nashville. If anything, I/m/o, Austin plays bigger than 900K. No metro area in the nation has changed more in the last ten years. This Place Sure Has Changed: Which Cities Have Changed the Most? - MagnifyMoney

Austin has some nationally recognized events in SXSW, Austin City Limits Music Festival and the U.S. Formula One Grand Prix. In my opinion San Antonio is a city that at 1.4 million seems slower that its size would suggest.
A couple of things here. Atlanta proper is nowhere near 600K. It not even 500K yet. Its core city area is also not small & dense in the way that DC is. By municipal limits, it's more similar to the size and population of Raleigh. It's a tad bit smaller in physical size and a bit more populated than Raleigh proper, but it's not in the ballpark with DC. Nonetheless, like DC, its core municipality plays a minor role in the population of its metro.

Speaking of Raleigh, it's not even in the same ballpark in city land area as the group of cities it's grouped with here. Raleigh's land area is less than half the size of Charlotte's & Memphis', and a third the size of Nashville's. Despite perceptions (I'm presuming) otherwise, Raleigh's city proper is also the most densely populated among that group. What Raleigh currently lacks is a postcard skyline, but that will change in time. Baring another collapse in the global economy, the next ten years are shaping up to be huge for its downtown. Each subsequent year is seeing fundamental changes. This year through 2020 will see the most change to Raleigh in generations. Is it there yet? No. Will it be soon? Absolutely.
While Austin's growth has been undeniable, and its downtown has exploded, one can argue that Raleigh's ascendance up the municipal rankings has been every bit as dramatic. For comparison, Travis Co. TX grew ~192% since 1980 (419,573 > 1,226,698), and Wake Co. NC grew ~256% since 1980 (301,327 > 1,072,203).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 AM

3,311 posts, read 2,238,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoolguy View Post
For some reason I always feel these cities are bigger than what their population says.
1. San Francsico
2. Seattle
3. Boston
4. Washington DC
5. Atlanta
6. Miami
7. Minneapolis
8. New Orleans
9. Cleveland
10. Pittsburgh

I always thought these cities were smaller than what their population shows.
1. Phoenix
2. San Antonio
3. San Jose
4. Austin
5. Jacksonville
6. Columbus
7. El Paso
8. Oklahoma City
9. Indianapolis
10. Charlotte
San Fran and Boston both have a smallish feel, I'd say Boston a little more so, but both have an undeniable MAJOR city aura. So they are small for major cities, but they dont feel small, and they also dont feel larger than they actually are...

I'd argue its blatantly obvious that SF isnt the singular anchor of an 8.5-million person region. That would put it in Chicago territory; it's clear you are in the most important city but not one that could support a metro population that large by itself...

DC feels larger than I think one would initially think. I think people are influenced by its lack of skyline and municipal population figures...

Atlanta doesn't feel larger or smaller, it just is...

Cleveland is way overblown as a large city and it definitely feels smaller than its reputation. Conversely, Pittsburgh has a "major city" quality to it that other cities its size (like Cleveland) really dont have. I was very surprised...

Old 07-23-2018, 07:00 AM

27,712 posts, read 24,737,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
What Raleigh currently lacks is a postcard skyline, but that will change in time. Baring another collapse in the global economy, the next ten years are shaping up to be huge for its downtown.
Raleigh's downtown is adding more in the way of density with lots of midrises instead of height with a ton of highrises, which, in some ways, is more preferable. I'm sure more highrises will be added over time but in light of the similar population growth figures you posted, it's interesting to see how Austin's skyline has changed so dramatically over the years compared to Raleigh's--and mostly due to the rapid addition of residential highrises at that which is giving it more of a Miami/Vancouver-type look over time.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 AM

1,919 posts, read 651,297 times
Atlanta feels bigger than its population to me.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:27 AM

662 posts, read 240,755 times
San Francisco, Honolulu, Seattle, Boston, and D.C. all feel bigger to me than their population. Iím sure a lot has to do with density, and surrounding areas being mistaken as the city proper.

Despite its growth since my childhood, my hometown of San Diego stills feels smaller than its population. It doesnít feel like the 8th largerst city in this country.

I will say when you look at the metro population for all the cities listed above they all seem about right for size and feel of their population.

Old 07-23-2018, 01:57 PM

12,201 posts, read 17,562,133 times
Houston feels really massive. I’m not sure if it feels more than 7 million or right where it’s supposed to be.

Someone told me that Houston feels larger than LA. I had to raise my eyebrow on that one. Lol.

Last edited by SouthernBoy205; 07-23-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or