U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Hartford vs Albany
Hartford 14 45.16%
Albany 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
2,685 posts, read 2,000,521 times
Reputation: 2074

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What beach? Albany is close to lakes and rivers as well. You can actually see the mountain ranges I mentioned from the Erastus Corning Tower in Albany, which is the tallest building in NY outside of NYC.
There are beaches all over Long Island Sound on the Connecticut side. If you go to New London, CT you are right on the ocean which is only under an hour from Hartford. In Albany you are nowhere the ocean. This is why I said it's pretty much a draw. Albany and Hartford are both close to lakes, rivers, and mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:44 PM
 
Location: NYC/CLE
518 posts, read 404,621 times
Reputation: 333
Hartford's location is also unbeatable. Proximity to NYC, Boston, and the beaches is better then Albany's. Hartford has the better skyline by a mile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Hartford, Connecticut
2,685 posts, read 2,000,521 times
Reputation: 2074
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Hartford's location is also unbeatable. Proximity to NYC, Boston, and the beaches is better then Albany's. Hartford has the better skyline by a mile
Second best in New England
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 PM
 
52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Hartford's location is also unbeatable. Proximity to NYC, Boston, and the beaches is better then Albany's. Hartford has the better skyline by a mile
Albany is actually pretty close to beaches, but they are lakefront beaches like these listed: Go Swimming! Beaches & Pools In The Lake George NY Region

Hartford is closer to NYC and Boston, but Albany is only about a couple of hours from both and Montreal is a day trip away as well.

I don't know if the skyline is better by a mile, but Hartford is a bigger city/metro.

You also have more urban options in the Albany area between areas of Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs, Cohoes and to a lesser degree, Watervliet and Rensselaer. This isn't counting villages and communities with walkability such as Scotia, Delmar, Waterford, Ballston Spa, Green Island and Mechanicville, among a few others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 09:54 PM
 
Location: NYC/CLE
518 posts, read 404,621 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Albany is actually pretty close to beaches, but they are lakefront beaches like these listed: Go Swimming! Beaches & Pools In The Lake George NY Region

Hartford is closer to NYC and Boston, but Albany is only about a couple of hours from both and Montreal is a day trip away as well.

I don't know if the skyline is better by a mile, but Hartford is a bigger city/metro.

You also have more urban options in the Albany area between areas of Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs, Cohoes and to a lesser degree, Watervliet and Rensselaer. This isn't counting villages and communities with walkability such as Scotia, Delmar, Waterford, Ballston Spa, Green Island and Mechanicville, among a few others.
I have been to Lake George before, it is a very nice beach. However, it does not trump the LI Sound beaches on the CT Shoreline.

Another negative about Albany is to get to either NYC or Boston you need to pay a high amount of tolls, whereas Hartford only pays tolls going to Boston.

The urban options one is also debatable, Hartford has a few big suburbs such as New Britain, Bristol, Windsor, Windsor Locks, Middletown, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2015, 09:55 PM
 
Location: NYC/CLE
518 posts, read 404,621 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Second best in New England
I would say a tie with Providence, though Hartford does have a big city skyline. 4 buildings taller then 450 feet is impressive for its size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 05:37 AM
 
52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I have been to Lake George before, it is a very nice beach. However, it does not trump the LI Sound beaches on the CT Shoreline.

Another negative about Albany is to get to either NYC or Boston you need to pay a high amount of tolls, whereas Hartford only pays tolls going to Boston.

The urban options one is also debatable, Hartford has a few big suburbs such as New Britain, Bristol, Windsor, Windsor Locks, Middletown, etc
Tolls may be an issue, but traffic on the way to either city isn't and Montreal is a real option, in which there aren't tolls to contend with. You also have quirky college town areas like Burlington or Amherst not too far away.

Also, besides maybe New Britian and Middletown, do the others have a true urban built environment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 07:30 AM
 
Location: NYC/CLE
518 posts, read 404,621 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Tolls may be an issue, but traffic on the way to either city isn't and Montreal is a real option, in which there aren't tolls to contend with. You also have quirky college town areas like Burlington or Amherst not too far away.

Also, besides maybe New Britian and Middletown, do the others have a true urban built environment?
I honestly do not know enough to give you an answer, the other poster should know.

And in terms of colleges, Hartford is right in the middle of the 'knowledge corridor' and is probably closer to Amherst then Albany is.

The benefit of MTL being about 4 hours from Albany is certainly one that Hartford does not have
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 09:10 AM
 
52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Reputation: 11628
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I honestly do not know enough to give you an answer, the other poster should know.

And in terms of colleges, Hartford is right in the middle of the 'knowledge corridor' and is probably closer to Amherst then Albany is.

The benefit of MTL being about 4 hours from Albany is certainly one that Hartford does not have
If that. It is at most 3 and a half hours.

Hartford is closer to Amherst by roughly 40 minutes or so.

As for urbanity, here is an example from one of the smaller cities in the A-S-T area: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7723...gg!2e0!6m1!1e1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 09:38 AM
 
Location: NYC/CLE
518 posts, read 404,621 times
Reputation: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If that. It is at most 3 and a half hours.

Hartford is closer to Amherst by roughly 40 minutes or so.

As for urbanity, here is an example from one of the smaller cities in the A-S-T area: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.7723...gg!2e0!6m1!1e1
Its closer to 4 from the experiences I have had, though it depends how long it takes you to pass through customs.

I personally do not have any pictures of Hartford, but Albany does seem to have very dense areas.

Also, Hartford has a better Interstate Network, and better air connections then Albany does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top