U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hartford vs Albany
Hartford 14 45.16%
Albany 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 10:16 AM

52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Its closer to 4 from the experiences I have had, though it depends how long it takes you to pass through customs.

I personally do not have any pictures of Hartford, but Albany does seem to have very dense areas.

Also, Hartford has a better Interstate Network, and better air connections then Albany does
I don't know if there is much difference in terms of the interstate network or even air connections.

Departures
Bradley Airport > Flights > Arrivals

Arrivals & Departures | ALB : Albany International Airport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,298,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know this, but it isn't "much" larger and Albany's metro is more like 870-880,000. Albany is a part of a region of 1.2 million as well.
Well, it depends on how you look at the numbers. If you're being more specific, Hartford has around 1,212,000. You're talking a difference of around 342,000. If we're talking about the top 10 largest metros in the U.S., 342,000 isn't that big of a number.

However, if Albany's metro is around 870,000 people that means Hartford is around 40% larger than Albany. That's a big gap. It really is.

Numbers don't tell the whole story, anyway. As someone who is completely unbiased (I don't have a preference for either, really), Hartford feels quite a bit larger. The Capital Corridor may have 1.2 Million people, but it's significantly spread out and still doesn't make Albany feel as large as Hartford. You have to also take into account that Hartford's MSA may be 1.2 Million but that number doesn't include the Springfield area (downtown Springfield is less than 25 miles from Downtown Hartford). The Knowledge Corridor, or Hartford-Springfield area, is just as cohesive as the "Capital Corridor" in New York and has around 2 Million people. No matter how you slice it, Hartford is the larger city and area. And it feels that way to any unbiased person who has spent time in both cities.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:06 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,852,085 times
Albany. One of my favorites.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:27 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,997,547 times
Quote:
I would say a tie with Providence, though Hartford does have a big city skyline. 4 buildings taller then 450 feet is impressive for its size
I don't want to get to far off topic but Providence doesn't have as nearly as many jobs as Hartford. Providence's nightlife and things to do are better than Hartford's and that's pretty much it. Though there's a lot going on in Providence. To get back on track...

Albany's only massive development project that comes to mind is the Empire State Plaza. One building is almost 600ft and has 3-4 other smaller buildings at roughly 300ft. It's an odd gothic look but it's unfortunate they had to tear down a lot to build it. Isn't the Erastus Corning Tower a government building? Many of Albanys buildings consist of government buildings and dormitorys. Are there any tall commercial office buildings in Albany? I know many them in Hartford were built because of its booming insurance industry and need for more office space.

The things about Albany that I like is that the Interstate 787 / 20 interchange is quite impressive and there aren't many surface parking lots in downtown like what Hartford has. Albany still had a good mix of old historic buildings and compare it to Hartford where many were demolished to make way for tall skyscrapers. Shame on Hartford....

Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM

518 posts, read 403,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
I don't want to get to far off topic but Providence doesn't have as nearly as many jobs as Hartford. Providence's nightlife and things to do are better than Hartford's and that's pretty much it. Though there's a lot going on in Providence. To get back on track...

Albany's only massive development project that comes to mind is the Empire State Plaza. One building is almost 600ft and has 3-4 other smaller buildings at roughly 300ft. It's an odd gothic look but it's unfortunate they had to tear down a lot to build it. Isn't the Erastus Corning Tower a government building? Many of Albanys buildings consist of government buildings and dormitorys. Are there any tall commercial office buildings in Albany? I know many them in Hartford were built because of its booming insurance industry and need for more office space.

The things about Albany that I like is that the Interstate 787 / 20 interchange is quite impressive and there aren't many surface parking lots in downtown like what Hartford has. Albany still had a good mix of old historic buildings and compare it to Hartford where many were demolished to make way for tall skyscrapers. Shame on Hartford....
I meant in terms of skylines, regarding Hartford and Providence.

If I remember correctly, downtown Hartford is VERY dense with many high-rises near the capital area and the XL Center

Speaking of interstates, that 84/91 Interchange is a disaster

Old 05-27-2015, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Well, it depends on how you look at the numbers. If you're being more specific, Hartford has around 1,212,000. You're talking a difference of around 342,000. If we're talking about the top 10 largest metros in the U.S., 342,000 isn't that big of a number.

However, if Albany's metro is around 870,000 people that means Hartford is around 40% larger than Albany. That's a big gap. It really is.

Numbers don't tell the whole story, anyway. As someone who is completely unbiased (I don't have a preference for either, really), Hartford feels quite a bit larger. The Capital Corridor may have 1.2 Million people, but it's significantly spread out and still doesn't make Albany feel as large as Hartford. You have to also take into account that Hartford's MSA may be 1.2 Million but that number doesn't include the Springfield area (downtown Springfield is less than 25 miles from Downtown Hartford). The Knowledge Corridor, or Hartford-Springfield area, is just as cohesive as the "Capital Corridor" in New York and has around 2 Million people. No matter how you slice it, Hartford is the larger city and area. And it feels that way to any unbiased person who has spent time in both cities.
Spot on. The Hartford-Springfield corridor is almost like the Capital District

Old 05-27-2015, 03:16 PM

52,622 posts, read 75,426,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

That isn't a 40% difference. It is more of a 30% difference, if that. I still wouldn't call it "much" larger though. That was the statement I was referring to.

Keep in mind that the Capital District/Region(not Corridor) is maybe an hour radius, if that. So, it isn't some sprawling area.

Hartford is also in the Bos-Wash corridor and in turn, is going to feel bigger, regardless of size due to its location.

Including Springfield would be including another top 100 in population, which is different than looking at Albany as the Capital District/Region.

Tech Valley is another region, in which Albany is centered upon and would be more on par with the "Knowledge Corridor". http://www.techvalley.org

Tech Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, if you look at CSA figures, Hartford is just under 1.5 million and Albany is just under 1.2 million. I wouldn't call that much bigger. Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-27-2015 at 04:03 PM..

Old 05-27-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That isn't a 40% difference. It is more of a 30% difference, if that. I still wouldn't call it "much" larger though. That was the statement I was referring to.

Keep in mind that the Capital District/Region(not Corridor) is maybe an hour radius, if that. So, it isn't some sprawling area.

Hartford is also in the Bos-Wash corridor and in turn, is going to feel bigger, regardless of size due to its location.

Including Springfield would be including another top 100 in population, which is different than looking at Albany as the Capital District/Region.

Tech Valley is another region, in which Albany is centered upon and would be more on par with the "Knowledge Corridor". http://www.techvalley.org

Tech Valley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, if you look at CSA figures, Hartford is just under 1.5 million and Albany is just under 1.2 million. I wouldn't call that much bigger. Combined Statistical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tech Valley is a marketing name, according to the Wikipedia page. So I will take that with a grain of salt.

And at those numbers, a 300,000 difference is a pretty big deal, IMO

Additionally, Hartford-Springfield is one area. Plenty of people commute between the two

Old 05-27-2015, 05:54 PM

3,406 posts, read 8,990,415 times
I grew up in one, and lived in the other for a while. I'd have to go with Hartford.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:16 PM

2,685 posts, read 1,997,547 times
Quote:
I meant in terms of skylines, regarding Hartford and Providence.

If I remember correctly, downtown Hartford is VERY dense with many high-rises near the capital area and the XL Center

Speaking of interstates, that 84/91 Interchange is a disaster
The issue with Hartford's highway system is that it's very outdated and the design is awful. Too many starp turns and much of the original 1960's design is still in use. Their in the planning phase right now of the Hartford84 project. By the end of the decade, the Aetna Viaduct through Hartford will either be put underground or on ground level. The state of Connecticut is trying to find ways to fund project so tolls might be an option. We had tolls up until 1983 then the state abolished them after an accident that killed 8 people. On the other hand, the highway system in Albany is much more reliable and efficient. So I guess that's a plus for Albany.

And yes the 91/84 interchange is awful yet it's quite impressive. It's a 3-4 level stack. It's not going to be easy to redo and I'm not sure how's that possible. It's one of the busiest stretches of highway in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or