U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Hartford vs Albany
Hartford 14 45.16%
Albany 17 54.84%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 PM

131 posts, read 92,758 times

Advertisements

Which city would you all rather live in?

Economy, Education, Food, Scenery, COL

Economy- Hartford
Education- Albany
Food- Draw
Scenery- Albany
COL- Albany

Albany wins, IMHO.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 07:34 AM

518 posts, read 404,835 times
I would give Hartford the food. Overall Hartford>Albany. Hartford is a major city on the Northeast Corridor with better connections to NYC and Boston then Albany.

Hartford also feels much bigger and is a much bigger metro area

Old 05-26-2015, 08:24 AM

52,672 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I would give Hartford the food. Overall Hartford>Albany. Hartford is a major city on the Northeast Corridor with better connections to NYC and Boston then Albany.

Hartford also feels much bigger and is a much bigger metro area
Not really....Hartford has about 300,000 people in the metro and the only reason that is the case is that the region Albany is in has 2 or 3 metro within it: Capital District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Greater Hartford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2015, 09:17 AM

518 posts, read 404,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not really....Hartford has about 300,000 people in the metro and the only reason that is the case is that the region Albany is in has 2 or 3 metro within it: Capital District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I stand corrected, though that Capital District area is a big one. Hartford feels much larger, and unfortunately has the traffic congestion and COL of a much larger metro

Old 05-26-2015, 02:04 PM

2,688 posts, read 2,001,426 times
Quote:

Hartfords MSA is roughly 1,200,000 people. Albany's is around 850,000 or so. It's the 4th largest in New York.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:11 PM

I live in Hartford. Though Hartford's COL is higher than Albany's, you still get a good bang for your buck. Remember the Hartford area is one of the wealthiest in the country while Albanys isn't nearly as close. We have high wages so we have high taxes to compensate. The Hartford area has one of the best school systems in America. The suburbs are very family oriented and its full of safe communities. Hartfords economy is much stronger than Albanys. Hartford has one of the highest GDP in the country and Hartford is home to some of the worlds most renowned Insurance companies. As for food, it's a tough one. Hartford has tons of good restaurants downtown and Albany does as well. Scenery is a close draw as well but I lean it towards Hartford. The scenery is very similar. If I had to make my own list:

Economy - Hartford
Skyline - Hartford x3
Education - Hartford
COL - Albany
Food - Draw
Scenery - Draw but close, Hartford 51% Albany 49%
Quality of Life - Draw
Low Traffic - Albany

Old 05-26-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
Hartfords MSA is roughly 1,200,000 people. Albany's is around 850,000 or so. It's the 4th largest in New York.
I know this, but it isn't "much" larger and Albany's metro is more like 870-880,000. Albany is a part of a region of 1.2 million as well.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I live in Hartford. Though Hartford's COL is higher than Albany's, you still get a good bang for your buck. Remember the Hartford area is one of the wealthiest in the country while Albanys isn't nearly as close. We have high wages so we have high taxes to compensate. The Hartford area has one of the best school systems in America. The suburbs are very family oriented and its full of safe communities. Hartfords economy is much stronger than Albanys. Hartford has one of the highest GDP in the country and Hartford is home to some of the worlds most renowned Insurance companies. As for food, it's a tough one. Hartford has tons of good restaurants downtown and Albany does as well. Scenery is a close draw as well but I lean it towards Hartford. The scenery is very similar. If I had to make my own list:

Economy - Hartford
Skyline - Hartford x3
Education - Hartford
COL - Albany
Food - Draw
Scenery - Draw but close, Hartford 51% Albany 49%
Quality of Life - Draw
Low Traffic - Albany
Albany is next to 3 or 4 sets of mountains nearby(Adirondacks, Catskills, Berkshires and some may count the Helderburgs). So, I don't see how Hartford gets Albany in terms of scenery.

Albany's economy is actually pretty strong with it also being a state capital, having a big state university and a growing tech sector. It also has NY State's fastest growing county in its metro area in Saratoga County. There is plenty of money in the area as well.

Also, you have to remember that it is called the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro area. So, you have multiple urban centers in that area to choose from.

There are plenty of very good school systems in the area, as well as plenty of colleges and universities. Both of these areas are very close in terms of educational attainment: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

I believe that Albany is a safer city in terms of crime rate and the metro is one of the safest among the top 100 metros, if I'm not mistaken.

Here are the skylines for both: https://www.google.com/search?q=hart...%3B2292%3B1296

https://www.google.com/search?q=alba...0CB0QsAQ&dpr=1

This isn't to knock Hartford, but I think the comparison is closer than people may think it is.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Albany is next to 3 or 4 sets of mountains nearby(Adirondacks, Catskills, Berkshires and some may count the Helderburgs). So, I don't see how Hartford gets Albany in terms of scenery.

Albany's economy is actually pretty strong with it also being a state capital, having a big state university and a growing tech sector. It also has NY State's fastest growing county in its metro area in Saratoga County. There is plenty of money in the area as well.

Also, you have to remember that it is called the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro area. So, you have multiple urban centers in that area to choose from.

There are plenty of very good school systems in the area, as well as plenty of colleges and universities. Both of these areas are very close in terms of educational attainment: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...reas.html?_r=0

I believe that Albany is a safer city in terms of crime rate and the metro is one of the safest among the top 100 metros, if I'm not mistaken.

Here are the skylines for both: https://www.google.com/search?q=hart...%3B2292%3B1296

https://www.google.com/search?q=alba...0CB0QsAQ&dpr=1

This isn't to knock Hartford, but I think the comparison is closer than people may think it is.
I guess it depends on what you like about scenery. Hartford is closer to the beach, has the Talcott Mountain Range and has many rivers, coves, and lakes within 30 minutes of Hartford. Albany is pretty much the same way, that's why I said a draw. As for crime, I forgot to mention that as well. Albany is much safer. Hartford is probably one of the most dangerous US Capitals.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you like about scenery. Hartford is closer to the beach, has the Talcott Mountain Range and has many rivers, coves, and lakes within 30 minutes of Hartford. Albany is pretty much the same way, that's why I said a draw. As for crime, I forgot to mention that as well. Albany is much safer. Hartford is probably one of the most dangerous US Capitals.
What beach? Albany is close to lakes and rivers as well. You can actually see the mountain ranges I mentioned from the Erastus Corning Tower in Albany, which is the tallest building in NY outside of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or