U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix vs. Atlanta
Phoenix 34 38.20%
Atlanta 55 61.80%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 07:21 PM

298 posts, read 303,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
And Emory and Georgia Tech alone far outclass all of Arizona's schools.
As a recent grad, I'd totally of loved to go to ASU over Georgia Tech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2015, 08:38 PM

27,874 posts, read 24,945,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Culture: tie
Affordability: PHX
Food: tie
Weather: PHX - ATL's rain, humidity, ice storms, tornadoes, etc, can suck it.
Variety: of what?
Lifestyle: PHX - by a wide margin
Outdoors: PHX - by a long shot
Natural resources: PHX
Colleges/universities: tie
Most of these are subjective, but ummmm, how is it a tie with respect to colleges and universities?

Not sure how Phoenix wins when it comes to natural resources either.

Old 05-30-2015, 03:53 PM

2,298 posts, read 1,682,847 times
Culture - pheonix
Affordability - atlanta
Food - pheonix
Weather- pheonix
Variety - tie
Lifestyle - pheonix
Outdoors- pheonix
Natural resources - tie, not sure
Colleges / universities - atlanta

I would choose phoenix over atlanta.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:58 PM

3,627 posts, read 4,367,006 times
Culture- ATL
Affordability- probably tie
Food- ATL by a long shot
Weather- Phoenix
Variety- of what?
Lifestyle- ATL
Outdoors- Phoenix
Natural resources- ATL
Colleges / universities- ATL by a long shot
I'll add:
Nightlife- ATL
Scenery- Phoenix
Crime- Phoenix and probably by a good margin
Women- ATL
UFO's- Phoenix lol jk

Old 05-31-2015, 05:36 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
888 posts, read 826,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not sure how Phoenix wins when it comes to natural resources either.
Atlanta is facing a looming water shortage. The rock under Atlanta forces its abundant rainfall to run off, and it will need to figure out a way to secure water. I believe Georgia has had a border dispute with Tennessee in recent years, coincidentally to bump the border just north enough to secure a portion of the Tennessee River to quench Atlanta's thirst.

Aside from water, neither city is really going to exploit many other resources within the metro area, like logging, mining, quarries, etc. There might be a few exceptions, but generally both cities will focus on other industries.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Atlanta is facing a looming water shortage. The rock under Atlanta forces its abundant rainfall to run off, and it will need to figure out a way to secure water. I believe Georgia has had a border dispute with Tennessee in recent years, coincidentally to bump the border just north enough to secure a portion of the Tennessee River to quench Atlanta's thirst.

Aside from water, neither city is really going to exploit many other resources within the metro area, like logging, mining, quarries, etc. There might be a few exceptions, but generally both cities will focus on other industries.
Well the issue in the Atlanta region isn't a shortage of actual water (aside from periodic droughts); it's legal access to water sources. Those are two different things.

And let's not act as though Phoenix and the Southwest doesn't have a looming water shortage to contend with: Possible water shortage in AZ - ABC15 Arizona

As the River Runs Dry: The Southwest's water crisis

And as abundantly treed as metro Atlanta as, logging in the area is certainly an option. Trees are a readily available resource in the region.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Well the issue in the Atlanta region isn't a shortage of actual water (aside from periodic droughts); it's legal access to water sources. Those are two different things.

And let's not act as though Phoenix and the Southwest doesn't have a looming water shortage to contend with: Possible water shortage in AZ - ABC15 Arizona

As the River Runs Dry: The Southwest's water crisis

And as abundantly treed as metro Atlanta as, logging in the area is certainly an option. Trees are a readily available resource in the region.
Did I say Phoenix isn't facing a potential water shortage? I replied to a statement you made about Atlanta's natural resources, because water is likely what will come to mind in that regard. Whatever Atlanta's problem obtaining water is (including its bedrock being unable to replenish groundwater), it can't get them in sufficient amounts. That would be a shortage, wouldn't it? I have absolutely no idea how and why you that put you on the defensive.

In terms of logging, I actually said: "Aside from water, neither city is really going to exploit many other resources within the metro area, like logging, mining, quarries, etc." ...yet for some reason you expanded that to the region. This isn't really about states, it's about cities, which is why I wouldn't include mining operations or the lumber industry throughout Arizona in this.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:56 PM

3,471 posts, read 2,604,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lets Eat Candy View Post
Both these cities have grown immensely in the past 20 years. Both of these cities are sort of "overflows" from adjacent regions (Northeast/Midwest for ATL, California for Phoenix). Both of these cities are relatively inland cities, hundreds of miles away from the coast. Both are anchors for a region of the country. These two sunbelt cities, while look different, have a lot in common.

Based on these criteria, which one do you prefer?

Culture
Affordability
Food
Weather
Variety
Lifestyle
Outdoors
Natural resources
Colleges / universities
Anything else
Culture: if were talking HIGH culture, I'd say Atlanta but not sure
Affordability: Phoenix
Food: Phoenix
Weather: Atlanta
Variety: Atlanta
Lifestyle: Phoenix
Outdoors: Even
Colleges/Universities: Atlanta

Pretty good matchup overall

Old 05-31-2015, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
Did I say Phoenix isn't facing a potential water shortage? I replied to a statement you made about Atlanta's natural resources, because water is likely what will come to mind in that regard. Whatever Atlanta's problem obtaining water is (including its bedrock being unable to replenish groundwater), it can't get them in sufficient amounts. That would be a shortage, wouldn't it? I have absolutely no idea how and why you that put you on the defensive.
I didn't say you didn't imply that Phoenix isn't facing a potential water shortage, but Atlanta really isn't at an actual disadvantage compared to Phoenix here as you're implying. As I stated, the issue at this point is more political/legal.

Quote:
In terms of logging, I actually said: "Aside from water, neither city is really going to exploit many other resources within the metro area, like logging, mining, quarries, etc." ...yet for some reason you expanded that to the region. This isn't really about states, it's about cities, which is why I wouldn't include mining operations or the lumber industry throughout Arizona in this.
Metro Atlanta is a region; it consists of a bunch of counties and covers a wide swath of north Georgia. Obviously this comparison isn't limited to just the city limits.

Old 05-31-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
I didn't say you didn't imply that Phoenix isn't facing a potential water shortage, but Atlanta really isn't at an actual disadvantage compared to Phoenix here as you're implying. As I stated, the issue at this point is more political/legal.

Metro Atlanta is a region; it consists of a bunch of counties and covers a wide swath of north Georgia. Obviously this comparison isn't limited to just the city limits.
I wasn't implying anything. I pointed out that Atlanta does have potential water issues when you made that statement. You really ought to look up the geology of Atlanta, as it does sit on bedrock that makes it harder to replenish an aquifer. It isn't just political/legal. You could make just as much of an argument about Phoenix, as multiple states are fighting for Colorado River rights and localities throughout Arizona want rights to water that drains into Phoenix, as it's in a drainage basin. Heavy snow in the mountains will make its way into Phoenix when the weather warms up.

Metro Anywhere is a region. The point is that cities don't rely too heavily on natural resources as a major part of their economies. Who in metro Atlanta would want to live next to a logging operation? I can't speak for people there, but NIMBY types in Phoenix would adamantly oppose an open mine or quarry near their homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or