Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Phoenix vs. Atlanta
Phoenix 34 38.20%
Atlanta 55 61.80%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 02:58 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
A little blowing dust that lasts 15 minutes is no big deal. Call me again when people in ATL are stranded on the highways overnight because of ice.
That literally has only happened twice on a large scale: 2013 and 1982, and that was due to the storm hitting in the middle of the day. The reason? It barely snows or ices in Atlanta, but when it does it's usually (especially the ice) a lot all at once. I'll forgive you for not knowing since you live in Arizona, but it is basically impossible to drive on more than an inch of ice. If you want to get an idea of what it's like, go to an ice rink and run around in rubber shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 03:02 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
That literally has only happened twice on a large scale: 2013 and 1982, and that was due to the storm hitting in the middle of the day. The reason? It barely snows or ices in Atlanta, but when it does it's usually (especially the ice) a lot all at once. I'll forgive you for not knowing since you live in Arizona, but it is basically impossible to drive on more than an inch of ice. If you want to get an idea of what it's like, go to an ice rink and run around in rubber shoes.
I lived in the Chicago area for the vast majority of my life. Ive driven on solid ice, through 10" of snow, etc. I know it can be a pain. But the guy that said he'd rather be sitting in his house because of an ice storm instead of sitting inside a house in 115 degree heat (which only happens a few days a year, its not common) sounds just absurd. Absolutely absurd.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
I lived in the Chicago area for the vast majority of my life. Ive driven on solid ice, through 10" of snow, etc. I know it can be a pain. But the guy that said he'd rather be sitting in his house because of an ice storm instead of sitting inside a house in 115 degree heat (which only happens a few days a year, its not common) sounds just absurd. Absolutely absurd.
Wellll, in Atlanta culture not really. Since snow/ice storms are so rare, we usually treat them like big parties. If they hit in the hit in the middle of the night (which they usually do), we spend the next few days at home drinking and playing in the snow. Why? You are guaranteed time off of work due to the city not being equipped to remove the ice and snow (no point in buying removal equipment for something that happens randomly every few years), and thus no one loses their job. It's quite a joyous time here actually when it does...if it doesn't happen during rush hour.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Not absurd at all because major ice storms aren't an annual occurrence in Atlanta like multiday heat waves tend to be in Arizona.

Old 06-02-2015, 04:54 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,151,925 times
Give me 115 degree day at home then a cold 33 degree day and icing at home (freezing rain). At least a 115 degree day I can go to the pool and drink some cold drinks. A 33 dreary, icy day means I have less to do.

That being said, I like Atlanta more than Phoenix in this case. Atlanta seems more cosmopolitan than Phoenix. Phoenix for weather (and that's debatable) and Mexican food, everything else Atlanta.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
On the hottest days of the Summer,Im inside in the A/C not getting a heat stroke

Phooenix has the highest number of stoke related ilness than any Southern metro:
Quote:
A national comparative study of heat wave mortality [8] found that mortality response was lower in southern cities than in temperate cities but the effect in Phoenix was higher than in other southern cities.
I loved my time in Phoenix when OI was at Luke AFB but I purposely stayed in when I could help it.
I wonder f an Olympics would ever come to Phoenix?

Old 06-03-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not absurd at all because major ice storms aren't an annual occurrence in Atlanta like multiday heat waves tend to be in Arizona.
Its absurd because with ice storms there are usually power outages, deaths from ice-related traffic accidents, business shut down, travelers stranded, commerce halted, etc. When it gets to be 115 degrees here (which, like the ice storms in Atlanta, isnt too common), its business as usual. The skies are royal blue, the roads are impeccable, and its business as usual. The only downfall to 115 degrees? A little sweat on your brow.

Dont get me wrong, its hotter than Satan's chode in the summer here, but as someone who lived 35+ years in Chicago, I can tell you the heat is far easier to deal with than driving in blizzard conditions, or trying to drive on black ice. Luckily Chicago was prepped for the bad storms, so rarely did anything grind to a halt. We had a record 3' of snow a few years back, and the next day most business was open, and by the second day it was like the storm never happened, everything was up and running.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Its absurd because with ice storms there are usually power outages, deaths from ice-related traffic accidents, business shut down, travelers stranded, commerce halted, etc. When it gets to be 115 degrees here (which, like the ice storms in Atlanta, isnt too common), its business as usual. The skies are royal blue, the roads are impeccable, and its business as usual. The only downfall to 115 degrees? A little sweat on your brow.
Power outages and commerce halted? Sure that happens sometimes but deaths and accidents/illnesses are common in both situations. An actual ice storm and its lingering effects in metro Atlanta typically last no more than two days, and I don't mind two days off work.

Quote:
Dont get me wrong, its hotter than Satan's chode in the summer here, but as someone who lived 35+ years in Chicago, I can tell you the heat is far easier to deal with than driving in blizzard conditions, or trying to drive on black ice. Luckily Chicago was prepped for the bad storms, so rarely did anything grind to a halt. We had a record 3' of snow a few years back, and the next day most business was open, and by the second day it was like the storm never happened, everything was up and running.
When the ice storms are predicted to come through, Atlanta is prepared (snow can be another issue however) and there are very, very few cars out on the roads. But two days of being indoors due to an ice storm is more preferable for me than several days of an intense heat wave.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Power outages and commerce halted? Sure that happens sometimes but deaths and accidents/illnesses are common in both situations. An actual ice storm and its lingering effects in metro Atlanta typically last no more than two days, and I don't mind two days off work.

When the ice storms are predicted to come through, Atlanta is prepared (snow can be another issue however) and there are very, very few cars out on the roads. But two days of being indoors due to an ice storm is more preferable for me than several days of an intense heat wave.
I remember hearing many reports of people in ATL w/o power for days after the 2014 ice storm. People were literally stranded on the highways overnight, running their cars just so they didnt freeze to death. ADOT was running out gas and food and blankets to stranded motorists, it was that bad!

http://wgcl.images.worldnow.com/images/24624936_BG1.jpg

Im sure for the lucky folks that were home it was "fun", but it was a deadly situation. Give me the heat any day.

Old 06-03-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
I remember hearing many reports of people in ATL w/o power for days after the 2014 ice storm. People were literally stranded on the highways overnight, running their cars just so they didnt freeze to death. ADOT was running out gas and food and blankets to stranded motorists, it was that bad!

http://wgcl.images.worldnow.com/images/24624936_BG1.jpg

Im sure for the lucky folks that were home it was "fun", but it was a deadly situation. Give me the heat any day.
That wasn't actually an ice storm; it was a snowstorm and really not much of one. But instead of closing schools and businesses in anticipation of the storm and to be on the safe side, school officials and businesses took a gamble and when everyone got on the roads at the same time to make it home, it became complete chaos once the snow got slushed and iced over. Two weeks later an actual ice storm came through that wasn't so bad, especially compared with the mess from earlier. "Snowmageddon" could have been avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City