U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which teir does Los Angles fall closer to?
It's closer to NYC 25 40.98%
It's closer to Chicago 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:46 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Reputation: 9775

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
No it's not. 50 million refers to domestic visitors/tourists. IT clearly states that if you read the stories.

Orlando and NYC are combining their domestic and international tourists.

Of the 56.4 million visitors who came to New York City in 2014, 44.2 million came from U.S./domestic locations,

MAYOR DE BLASIO AND NYC & COMPANY ANNOUNCE NEW YORK CITY WELCOMED AN ALL-TIME RECORD 56.4 MILLION VISITORS IN 2014 - Communications / nycandcompany.org
You're still not getting it. You can't compare random tourist bureau releases because they aren't measuring the same thing. Even putting aside issues of bias, they're useless for comparative purposes.

Given that the Census Bureau or other govt. agency doesn't have a metric for tourists, I don't see how one can reasonably compare cities. Comparing random press releases from promotional tourist bureaus isn't going to have any use.

It's like the inane C-D threads like "what is the population of your downtown" or "which city has the hottest women". The question can't be answered, at least not without a singular metric applied to all cities.

 
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 PM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
Oh ok. It gets a lot because it's the biggest convention city in America.
Orlando and Vegas are the biggest convention cities in America.

I don't think conventioneers would be classified as tourists. In any case, they aren't going to be a huge contribution to visitor counts, as the convention business has been shrinking for years, and can't by itself make up for a small population or lack of leisure or business travelers.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 01:23 AM
 
Location: LBC
4,155 posts, read 4,295,786 times
Reputation: 3528
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
LOL.

The criteria:


50% of the survey must have been skewed to weather (which has nothing to do with "city brand"), because New York trounces Los Angeles in each and every indices they used to create the ranking. I mean, what else could it be? Economic prosperity? Hahaha. Public transport? LOL. Safety? No.

More Facebook Likes? No.

Facebook Likes
New York 13,000,000
Los Angeles 6,000,000

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Y...189115?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-A...260960?fref=ts

Let me just throw these in:

Instagram Likes? No. New York is the most Instagrammed city in the world

More photographed? No. Ego Boost - New York is the most Photographed city in the World - Best Travel

Brand enough for people to actually want to go there over NYC? No.

Most international visitors:
1. New York - 9.5 million visitors
2. Los Angeles - 3.8 million visitors

Brand enough for people to pick it over any other city when asked for their favorite? No.

World's favorite cities, survey
1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
'World

Better brand? Right.
You didn't read the report as posted. That's all. Get a ******* grip.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 AM
 
Location: East Central Pennsylvania/ Chicago for 6yrs.
2,539 posts, read 2,310,375 times
Reputation: 1483
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Orlando and Vegas are the biggest convention cities in America.

I don't think conventioneers would be classified as tourists. In any case, they aren't going to be a huge contribution to visitor counts, as the convention business has been shrinking for years, and can't by itself make up for a small population or lack of leisure or business travelers.
NOLA many Conventioneers bring Family now. Chicago's Downtown HAS PLENTY FOR MOM ,DAD AND THE KIDS. Why " NAVY PIER "IS SO POPULAR. Any day of the Week has Michigan Ave Full of "TOURIST" So is MILLENNIUM PARK. They take in the "Museums". Walk the Lakefront. Hit a "Beach" in summer. "Boat ride in "Lake Michigan"

Heck you Be Shopping on "Michigan Ave" an Hit "OAK STREET BEACH" at the North start of this Iconic Street today . Even "Wrigley Field" to SEE Brings them.... Cubs fan or NOT.

So PLEASE NO BUT THEY" DON'T". NO TIMES SQUARE EQUIVALENT ECT.

Why is it SO DIFFICULT For YOU to see "DOWNTOWN CHICAGO"..... is DRAWING MILLIONS OF TOURIST?
Even if a Conventioneer alone? Men and Women shop too, Eat out and take advantage of some Nightlife.

I even have a friend at work going to Chicago for a Cubs Game in July with his wife from by me in PA. Going to do the Tourist sights too.

Proof to those never in Downtown Chicago

..Millennium Park ....On Navy Pier...Oak Street Beach....
Attached Thumbnails
Los Angeles: Closer to New York or Chicago?-.chicagos-millenium-park......jpg   Los Angeles: Closer to New York or Chicago?-navy-pier-chicago.jpg   Los Angeles: Closer to New York or Chicago?-chicago-north-av-beach.jpg  
 
Old 05-31-2015, 03:35 AM
 
391 posts, read 522,071 times
Reputation: 264
Bottom line:

Los Angeles is neither closer to New York or Chicago. It is simply just in the middle of the two in terms of size, status and importance.

New York basically is double the size of Los Angeles. It is also twice as important and holds twice the status. Los Angeles is twice the size of Chicago and has twice the importance and twice the status.

Mmkay?
 
Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,206 posts, read 8,356,135 times
Reputation: 4624
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
You're still not getting it. You can't compare random tourist bureau releases because they aren't measuring the same thing. Even putting aside issues of bias, they're useless for comparative purposes.

Given that the Census Bureau or other govt. agency doesn't have a metric for tourists, I don't see how one can reasonably compare cities. Comparing random press releases from promotional tourist bureaus isn't going to have any use.

It's like the inane C-D threads like "what is the population of your downtown" or "which city has the hottest women". The question can't be answered, at least not without a singular metric applied to all cities.
What am I not getting? Chicago had over 50 million VISITORS in 2014, that is all I laid claim to. Didn't say it was the most visited city, didn't see it was an international hot spot. You can call the numbers fudged all you want, but that's your opinion, which is not a fact...honestly, where is your study at on these figures? Let's see it.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 09:28 AM
 
9,701 posts, read 6,669,821 times
Reputation: 9775
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
What am I not getting? Chicago had over 50 million VISITORS in 2014, that is all I laid claim to.
And you're still not getting that it's a nonsense stat, because 1. There is no indication of what is being measured and because 2. There is no indication of the relative visitor counts in other cities using the same business rules.

For all we know, City A could be counting "visitors" as people passing through on the interstates, while City B could be counting "visitors" as strictly tourists only, staying a minimum number of days, and registered as hotel guests. Until we know 1. What is being counted and 2. How these counts compare to other cities counts, just spewing random tourist bureau press releases is useless.

One could probably come up with a stat showing Chicago (or any other major city) with 5 million visitors, and another showing Chicago with 100 million visitors, and both would be technically "right" given the particular business rules. It all depends on what you're counting.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Terramaria
663 posts, read 723,271 times
Reputation: 778
NYC similarities:
-International feel/appeal
-Diversity
-Multiple business districts
-Selection of high-end/exclusive businesses (Chicago's Near North isn't bad, but their suburban shopping pales in comparison)
-Of course, media/entertainment industries and both tend to introduce trends that spread to the rest of the country
-Celebrity/global elite presence. The Westside/Manhattan is much larger in scope than Chicago, restricted to a few lakefront neighborhoods.
-Located on an ocean, Chicago of course suffers from "flyover country" syndrome to them
-Hills/mountains not too far away
-Similar pace of slow, steady growth unlike Chicago's flat growth

Chicago similarities:

-Western Avenue, originally the western border of both cities and one of each cities' largest street
-Route 66 ending points
-More car-centric cities with viable transit alternatives, though Chicago tends to be intermediate between NYC/LA style in terms of car vs. transit
-Biggest booms historically due to western expansion as opposed to immigration
-Number of skyscrapers
-Population in terms of raw numbers/density

Overall, it's got to be NYC despite LA's limitations to the former. I've been to all three cities, and despite these similarities/differences, I can fairly easily tell the differences in overall identification between all of them. In some cases, Los Angeles is the odd man out in terms of NYC/Chicago's similarities, such as being a more fairweather fan city in terms of supports, a lack of NFL and a greater soccer presence, a larger hispanic presence, and a different climate.

Quote:
Facebook Likes
New York 13,000,000
Los Angeles 6,000,000
I just checked Chicago's and its only 1.55 million. While the raw difference is closer with LA's, the percentage difference between NYC/LA ismore similar.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Upper West Side, Manhattan, NYC
14,304 posts, read 17,924,050 times
Reputation: 6255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And you're still not getting that it's a nonsense stat, because 1. There is no indication of what is being measured and because 2. There is no indication of the relative visitor counts in other cities using the same business rules.

For all we know, City A could be counting "visitors" as people passing through on the interstates, while City B could be counting "visitors" as strictly tourists only, staying a minimum number of days, and registered as hotel guests. Until we know 1. What is being counted and 2. How these counts compare to other cities counts, just spewing random tourist bureau press releases is useless.

One could probably come up with a stat showing Chicago (or any other major city) with 5 million visitors, and another showing Chicago with 100 million visitors, and both would be technically "right" given the particular business rules. It all depends on what you're counting.
In the end, they're the official stats and pretty sure it's measured the same way across other cities in the US. Until someone has a more reliable source, this is what anybody has to go on. It's like saying that "The census was undercounted in this city!" Great, maybe it was or maybe it wasn't, but at the end of the day, there's no other official number to go by so it's ****ing pointless on an internet forum to debate 5000 different scenarios about what might be in reality. None of these numbers are ever 100% accurate whether it's a simple census or number of visitors to a city, but the official numbers are all that anybody has.
 
Old 05-31-2015, 10:25 AM
 
2,029 posts, read 1,430,929 times
Reputation: 3030
I think New York and Chicago are much more alike than LA is to either of them...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top