U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which teir does Los Angles fall closer to?
It's closer to NYC 25 40.98%
It's closer to Chicago 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 12:51 AM

1,564 posts, read 1,009,303 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles & New york are the only u.s cities that are included in the 20 Megacities of the world. L.A & N.y are king of their respective coast & are both 1 & 2 vice versa in most categories.

Both are the only cities with all 7 media stations assigned to them, Both have the most Hollywood movies about them,Escape from New York & Escape from L.A respectively. I can go on but no need to continue, Somewhere in city history Chicago lost its steam & never got it back ,Though still the 3rd city in America but i think San Francisco, Miami, Atlanta & Vegas are more popular now.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:27 AM

1,078 posts, read 894,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The Census Bureau does not count all of Los Angeles CSA as part of the MSA for a reason. I'm sure you could write them on how seamless and contiguous it is and attempt to persuade them, but I venture to say that the exurbs fail to meet the criteria to join the MSA. Good luck with your letter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy7 View Post
Way to prove my point yet again.

What exactly do you even mean by seamless and contagious here? Is that whole LA suburbs are denser than suburbs elsewhere in the county so they are somehow special because of that? Who the hell cares again that a bunch of mundane suburbia happens be a somewhat denser than your typical one?

In fact, why is it even suggested that should be seen in a positive light instead of a negative one? Considering it kind of beats the whole purpose suburbia, wide open spaces to raise a family and all that.
Easy there flyover guys just stating my opinion, either way LA is twice the size of Chicagoland in a smaller footprint, happy now

Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 AM

2,201 posts, read 4,001,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roman Emperor View Post
Los Angeles may be closer to New York City population # wise, but it's much closer to Chicago than New York once you look at actual performance of each city in terms of wealth, corporate base and output.

GDP
NYC - 1.6 trillion
LA - 900 billion
Chicago -600 billion

Fortune 500 companies
NYC -84
Chicago - 29
Los Angeles -22

High Net Worth Individuals
NYC - 898,800
Los Angeles - 330,000
Chicago - 243,300
I'd like a source but I do believe it regardless.

I think this pretty much sums it up. NYC is just the king of just about everything in the US (besides film and TV of course), and in nearly every other area, all other major US cities can simply fight over "second best in....[fill in the blank]".

I certainly felt (by far) much more of an international presence in NYC than I do living in LA. LA is still extremely international and influential (I think more so than Chicago, at least in the International sense) but it's much closer and can compare more with Chicago than New York.

Who btw mentioned Escape From LA? Pick another LA movie (like Chinatown), that one sucked!!!!

Old 05-28-2015, 08:01 AM

Honestly i think Chicago may have more of an international presence than every borough except Manhattan, And Miami of course is probably the most international city far as latino presence go.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:05 AM

When judging New york I separate the boroughs to get a better view being that each borough is an independent county but combined they make up 1 city.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:48 AM

9,701 posts, read 6,673,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Roman Emperor View Post
Los Angeles may be closer to New York City population # wise, but it's much closer to Chicago than New York once you look at actual performance of each city in terms of wealth, corporate base and output.

GDP
NYC - 1.6 trillion
LA - 900 billion
Chicago -600 billion

Fortune 500 companies
NYC -84
Chicago - 29
Los Angeles -22

High Net Worth Individuals
NYC - 898,800
Los Angeles - 330,000
Chicago - 243,300
In terms of these factors, I would agree LA is closer to Chicago than to NYC.

One could argue LA is closer to NYC, though, in terms of more subjective metrics like cultural capital and global recognition. It's really hard to say, and I think I could vote either way.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:50 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,162,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Many people who leave NYC go straight to LA and don't even consider Chicago. I used to live in LA and have spent tons of time in NYC. I think both cities offer the same visiting and living experience, but in very different ways.
This hasn't been true, at least in my experience. People who want the big-shouldered US urban experience seem to gravitate on a NYC/Chicago/Bay Area axis. LA just feels different from those three, and offers a different sort of metro lifestyle.

NYC is above all else in this country, it's really hard to compare it with anywhere else. Therefore, even though Chicago and LA are quite different, they are ultimately more alike than LA/NYC.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:12 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,928,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Honestly i think Chicago may have more of an international presence than every borough except Manhattan, And Miami of course is probably the most international city far as latino presence go.
Wait - you think that Manhattan is the most international area of the boroughs? Queens is over 50% foreign born. Manhattan is like half of that. If you want numerous true ethnic areas of NYC, you go to various areas in Queens or Brooklyn. In reality, the foreign born population of Chicago is somewhere around 20 to 22%, which is a lot closer to Manhattan than it is to an area like Queens which far surpasses both.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,480,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wait - you think that Manhattan is the most international area of the boroughs? Queens is over 50% foreign born. Manhattan is like half of that.
Having a high foreign born population is important, but what's also important is business, financial, and political connections. Manhattan more than crushes though compared to some small bodegas owned by foreigners in Queens.

Old 05-28-2015, 09:20 AM

14,304 posts, read 17,928,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Having a high foreign born population is important, but what's also important is business, financial, and political connections. Manhattan more than crushes though compared to some small bodegas owned by foreigners in Queens.
I don't agree - I find Queens more international feeling than most parts of Manhattan. There are pockets of ethnic stuff in Manhattan still like Chinatown (even though Queens has a larger Chinatown now) and small stuff like Murray Hill and Koreatown, but in the end Queens has pretty much all of that, bigger, and more ethnic enclaves now with a lot more different enclaves and business centers. Some of the ones in Manhattan have been diminished too like Little Brazil. I'll take Jackson Heights and Flushing over that (though Manhattan's Chinatown is still cool). Not to mention other parts of queens like Jamaica, where there are many Caribbean residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City