U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which teir does Los Angles fall closer to?
It's closer to NYC 25 40.98%
It's closer to Chicago 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 AM

6,291 posts, read 8,460,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
New York and Los Angeles are the only world class cities in all of the Americas (North and South).

Chicago is not in the same league as any of them. This is based on the amount of wealth, important people and just importance overall. Better compare Chicago with San Fransisco or Boston.
In what way is Chicago NOT a world class city?

Chicago IS an Alpha city in this ranking, may be Alpha- in 2015, but in this ranking it's in the same group as Los Angeles.

Alpha, Beta and Gamma cities (updated 2015) | Experience cities like a local!

Old 05-30-2015, 10:53 AM

14,326 posts, read 18,050,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Maro, Just like you i have family on both sides also ,Grandmother,Cousins, Aunties & Mom are from Manhattan ,And i think everyone has a different perception on things,My take is Manhattan &,Brooklyn are the only boroughs that are great.
I like Queens because it has a lot of authentic ethnic areas. I think it's come into its own in the last decade and now people who can afford things are moving there to areas like Long Island City and Astoria.

Quote:
I think the Nightlife in Manhattan is flawless but i have the Vegas Strip as a little bit higher.In the end the weather,weed,Quality of life & the women that come from California is the key factor for me.But Manhattan i hold on the same level as London but i think Los Angeles hasn't reached it's peak yet & just based on intangibles & weather, L.A has what it takes to be the best city ever.
To be honest, I think for overall culture that NYC reached its peak awhile ago. I don't like it as much today as I liked it back before 9/11, but it's still the greatest city America has. That doesn't mean it's the cleanest, or has the best beaches, or whatever, but still the greatest IMO.

Looking back at everything, I am very lucky to have spent so much time between NYC, LA, and Chicago in my life. Could be a lot worse.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:56 AM

6,291 posts, read 8,460,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I like Queens because it has a lot of authentic ethnic areas. I think it's come into its own in the last decade and now people who can afford things are moving there to areas like Long Island City and Astoria.

To be honest, I think for overall culture that NYC reached its peak awhile ago. I don't like it as much today as I liked it back before 9/11, but it's still the greatest city America has. That doesn't mean it's the cleanest, or has the best beaches, or whatever, but still the greatest IMO.

Looking back at everything, I am very lucky to have spent so much time between NYC, LA, and Chicago in my life. Could be a lot worse.
America's three greatest cities, not many people have spent enough time in all three, let alone lived there to have that kind of experience. Many become experts on their own city and know seldom about the others.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:01 AM

14,326 posts, read 18,050,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
America's three greatest cities, not many people have spent enough time in all three, let alone lived there to have that kind of experience. Many become experts on their own city and know seldom about the others.
I used to take it for granted, but it's a good opportunity. Each city is great for its own reasons and to me they are without a doubt the greatest cities in America and will continue to be so for awhile (even if Houston overtakes Chicago's population in 2035).

Old 05-30-2015, 11:42 AM

4,023 posts, read 1,983,092 times
Search: distance between los-angeles-ca and chicago-il
Search: distance between los-angeles-ca and new-york-city-ny

chicago is closer.

Old 05-30-2015, 12:00 PM

282 posts, read 259,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svedski View Post
New York and Los Angeles are the only world class cities in all of the Americas (North and South).

Chicago is not in the same league as any of them. This is based on the amount of wealth, important people and just importance overall. Better compare Chicago with San Fransisco or Boston.
Yes, Chicago and Los Angeles are firmly on the same level when it comes to wealth and important people. Neither of them are anywhere near New York in that regards.

High Net Worth, Metro Areas
New York: 898,800
Los Angeles: 330,000
San Francisco 199,300
Chicago: 264,300
Washington DC: 220,700

New York: 4.6%
San Francisco 4.5%
Washington DC: 3.9%
Chicago: 2.8%
Los Angeles: 2.5%

source: world wealth report

However, Los Angeles is still the more important of the two imo. It is more iconic and influential.

Last edited by UAE50; 05-30-2015 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 01:28 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,024,179 times
Yeah Chicago is on a 2nd tier level,along with Houston, Boston, Atlanta.

And those billionaires numbers are limited to L.A city,L.A county which includes Beverly Hills, Bel airs, Santa monica, West Hollywood are not included, While Manhattan with the other boroughs have the most billionaires due to the population, Just like California has the highest numbers of billionaires as a state due to population.

Los Angeles County has the highest amount of millionares by far & i think it's more powerful than New york in terms of Quality of life,Entertainment & popularity, Big time New york musicians like Puffy & shockingly Jay-z & Beyonce now live out here,Basically this is where all the huge stars rather reside, Oprah, Michael Jackson and that's not even including Orange county on the outskirts, Los Angeles recently beat out New york & London as the most branded city in the world so im not lying about it's power in popularity & brand to sell itself on a global level.

L.A. Has the "Most Powerful" City Brand in the World | L.A. Weekly

Old 05-30-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:

And those billionaires numbers are limited to L.A city,L.A county which includes Beverly Hills, Bel airs, Santa monica, West Hollywood are not included, While Manhattan with the other boroughs have the most billionaires due to the population

Who told you they're not included? The numbers in that billionaire chart do include Bel Air, Beverly Hills and Santa Monica and West Hollywood. It's the entire Los Angeles County (where 99% of LA CSA billionaires live). Not that Santa Monica and West Hollywood mean anything because they each have 0 billionaires.

Quote:
While Manhattan with the other boroughs have the most billionaires due to the population
LOL, That's not why. If we doubled LA's count of billionaires , NYC would still have several times more. And the percentage was already shown as far as high net worth people go. Chicago has a higher % of wealthy than Los Angeles (as does metro Detroit, if you want to go down that route....)

High Net Worth, Metro Areas
New York: 4.6%
San Francisco 4.5%
Washington DC: 3.9%
Chicago: 2.8%
Detroit: 2.6%
Los Angeles: 2.5%
Philadelphia: 2.2%
Houston: 2.1%

Last edited by UAE50; 05-30-2015 at 05:34 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 05:25 PM

9,701 posts, read 6,756,020 times
Quote:
Chicago is well ahead of Houston, Boston and Atlanta when it comes to wealth. It's probably 4th or 5th in the U.S. in terms of high-end wealth. Those other cities are more Top 10.

Quote:
And those billionaires numbers are limited to L.A city,L.A county which includes Beverly Hills, Bel airs, Santa monica, West Hollywood are not included, While Manhattan with the other boroughs have the most billionaires due to the population, Just like California has the highest numbers of billionaires as a state due to population.
That makes zero sense. There are many more billionaires in Manhattan alone than in all of the LA CSA, yet the LA CSA has 18 million people, and Manhattan only has 1.6-1.7 million people.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:39 PM

Quote:
power in popularity & brand to sell itself on a global level.

L.A. Has the "Most Powerful" City Brand in the World | L.A. Weekly
..and as far as what actual people think (rather than a sole editor who gave Los Angeles that title).

Most international visitors:
1. New York - 9.5 million visitors
2. Los Angeles - 3.8 million visitors

World's favorite cities (14k polled worldwide):
1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
Los Angeles is number 12...

'World's favorite cities revealed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City