Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which teir does Los Angles fall closer to?
It's closer to NYC 25 40.98%
It's closer to Chicago 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 04:14 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,839,495 times

Advertisements

LA is closer to NYC than Chicago based on influence alone.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Downtown is great, but there's a lot of other great areas of the city. At the end of the day, less than 5% of the city lives downtown. The other 95% don't stay at home 24/7. There's just as much **** to do outside of downtown as there is to do inside of it.

And as someone who grew up with one side of his family from LA (father) and the other from NYC (mother), and spent a lot of time in LA - yes, NYC does beat LA pretty handedly at most things. And that is no way a knock against LA - NYC is one of the greatest cities in the world plain and simple. It would be like comparing Michael Jordan to Kevin McHale and asking who the greatest is. Both are great, but nobody in their right mind would think that Kevin McHale is greater than Michael Jordan.
Couple problems with this:

1) You did NOT just use McLurch to represent Los Angeles.

2) Interminable discussions about who's the best aside, I'd much rather watch Magic ball than Jordan.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:27 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,753,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Couple problems with this:

1) You did NOT just use McLurch to represent Los Angeles.

2) Interminable discussions about who's the best aside, I'd much rather watch Magic ball than Jordan.
LOL - well you get the point. I think many people who hear "this city is better than that" often assume the other one is being put down when it's not.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:51 PM

10,084 posts, read 15,762,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
I'd like a source but I do believe it regardless.

I think this pretty much sums it up. NYC is just the king of just about everything in the US (besides film and TV of course), and in nearly every other area, all other major US cities can simply fight over "second best in....[fill in the blank]".

I certainly felt (by far) much more of an international presence in NYC than I do living in LA. LA is still extremely international and influential (I think more so than Chicago, at least in the International sense) but it's much closer and can compare more with Chicago than New York.

Who btw mentioned Escape From LA? Pick another LA movie (like Chinatown), that one sucked!!!!
Escape from LA and Escape from NY are two amazing movies.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
LOL I surely know your skip over Chicago recommendations, in many threads. As I say go for it. Seems to be a personal thing? It seems deep. But all have their preferences.

As for the TOPIC QUESTION. I'd say LA is a Bit closer to Chicago. My reasons.
  1. Both have no Tenement style housing and Few Row Homes or Double-Homes like the intro to "All in the Family" TV sitcom of the 70s showed.
  2. Both cities do have substantial Bungalow style housing.
  3. Overall Densities are closer then NYC especially Manhattan.
  4. Both have a wider street grid then much of NYC.
  5. Also both cities have pre-suburban neighborhoods prevalent. LA even more so in.
But all 3 cities are unique in their own right. Probably LA and Houston might be most similar? I merely say more. Not ARE alike.
Nice response.

And sure, of the top 10 metros LA and Houston are probably closer than Chicago or NYC. Still pretty far off from each other though, Houston feels so much more Southern and more similar to its nearby regional cities (Dallas in particular), LA clearly is most similar to the Bay Area.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:59 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,526,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
LOL - well you get the point. I think many people who hear "this city is better than that" often assume the other one is being put down when it's not.
I'd be happier with Brad Lohaus.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfamazing View Post
I would compare LA to both certain parts of Chicago or NY's outer borough in terms of texture and landscape but not the city centers themselves.

LA doesn't have the gritty city texture that a chicago or NY has because of default settings that include culture / climate and people living in each region that create the landscape.
I don't know, I think part of the reason people ignore/underestimate LA's core is because it is kind of too gritty.

Old 05-29-2015, 08:54 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,654,063 times
Maro,That was funny lol but Kevin McHale is more like Toronto not L.A,I would say Los Angeles is Kobe Bryant, New York is Shaq & rightfully so because it has been around longer & more dominant but also jealous of the rise of his younger Brother who has potential to be better.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:02 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,654,063 times
Maro, Just like you i have family on both sides also ,Grandmother,Cousins, Aunties & Mom are from Manhattan ,And i think everyone has a different perception on things,My take is Manhattan &,Brooklyn are the only boroughs that are great.I think the Nightlife in Manhattan is flawless but i have the Vegas Strip as a little bit higher.In the end the weather,weed,Quality of life & the women that come from California is the key factor for me.But Manhattan i hold on the same level as London but i think Los Angeles hasn't reached it's peak yet & just based on intangibles & weather, L.A has what it takes to be the best city ever.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:47 AM

391 posts, read 748,407 times
New York and Los Angeles are the only world class cities in all of the Americas (North and South).

Chicago is not in the same league as any of them. This is based on the amount of wealth, important people and just importance overall. Better compare Chicago with San Fransisco or Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City