Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which teir does Los Angles fall closer to?
It's closer to NYC 25 40.98%
It's closer to Chicago 36 59.02%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:56 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,969,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAE50 View Post
..and as far as what actual people think (rather than a sole editor who gave Los Angeles that title).

Most international visitors:
1. New York - 9.5 million visitors
2. Los Angeles - 3.8 million visitors

World's favorite cities (14k polled worldwide):
1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
Los Angeles is number 12...

'World's favorite cities revealed
I know it's domestic tourists/visitors, but what causes Chicago to beat out Los Angeles AND New York City in this department?

Chicago tourism hits record with more than 50M visitors in 2014 | WGN-TV

Old 05-30-2015, 04:57 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,559,571 times
Quote:
..and as far as what actual people think (rather than a sole editor who gave Los Angeles that title
Actually, it was the result of a brand survey conducted by the English consulting firm cited in the article.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:09 PM

19 posts, read 20,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I know it's domestic tourists/visitors, but what causes Chicago to beat out Los Angeles AND New York City in this department?

Its flyover location

LA Atlanta Vegas NYC where the celebrities live.....

Old 05-30-2015, 05:11 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post

It doesn't, obviously. Probably they're not using apples-to-apples numbers.

What is a tourist? There's no common definition.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:20 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
It doesn't, obviously. Probably they're not using apples-to-apples numbers.

What is a tourist? There's no common definition.
SIMPLE NOLA. You know NYC so well. Whatever the criteria is to register DOMESTIC Tourist in NYC. That is the standard for Chicago. If isn't? How is it you don't know but certainly not applauding for Chicago. Seems anything POSITIVE IN STATISTICS FOR CHICAGO. You see it as a ....MEH or can't be right. But if it's NEGATIVE? Seems You DEFEND, ARGUE FOR IF and Slam those who claim otherwise.

Just civil opinion I assess from numerous threads. Nothing personal mind you......

Old 05-30-2015, 05:22 PM

282 posts, read 350,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Actually, it was the result of a brand survey conducted by the English consulting firm cited in the article.
LOL.

The criteria:
Quote:
The report measures two aspects of a city's brand: its “assets” – attractions, climate, infrastructure (particularly transport), safety and economic prosperity – and its “buzz”, a combination of social media (Facebook likes and Twitter sentiment analysis) and media mentions.
50% of the survey must have been skewed to weather (which has nothing to do with "city brand"), because New York trounces Los Angeles in each and every indices they used to create the ranking. I mean, what else could it be? Economic prosperity? Hahaha. Public transport? LOL. Safety? No.

More Facebook Likes? No.

Facebook Likes
New York 13,000,000
Los Angeles 6,000,000

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Y...189115?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-A...260960?fref=ts

Let me just throw these in:

Instagram Likes? No. New York is the most Instagrammed city in the world

More photographed? No. Ego Boost - New York is the most Photographed city in the World - Best Travel

Brand enough for people to actually want to go there over NYC? No.

Most international visitors:
1. New York - 9.5 million visitors
2. Los Angeles - 3.8 million visitors

Brand enough for people to pick it over any other city when asked for their favorite? No.

World's favorite cities, survey
1. New York
2. London
3. Paris
'World

Better brand? Right.

Last edited by UAE50; 05-30-2015 at 05:32 PM..

Old 05-30-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
SIMPLE NOLA. You know NYC so well. Whatever the criteria is to register DOMESTIC Tourist in NYC. That is the standard for Chicago. If isn't? How is it you don't know but certainly not applauding for Chicago. Seems anything POSITIVE IN STATISTICS FOR CHICAGO. You see it as a ....MEH or can't be right. But if it's NEGATIVE? Seems You DEFEND, ARGUE FOR IF and Slam those who claim otherwise.
Because steeps, some of us have logical reasoning skills. There is no metric where a city 1/3 the size of another is going to generate more visitors, absent some extremely unique local characteristic, like a Las Vegas or Orlando.

Given that everyone knows Chicago isn't a tourist or business center like NYC, and given that we have Census-verified population statistics, it's absurd to claim a city that is less of a tourist/business center and 1/3 the size somehow generates more tourists. There would be no logical reason for this.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:26 PM

Quote:
LOL.

So, I suppose Los Angeles having "better weather" pushed it ahead of New York. But what does that have to do with city brands?

I mean, what else could it be? Economic prosperity? Erm, I think not. Public transport? LOL Safety? No.

More Facebook Likes? No.

Facebook Likes
New York 13,000,000
Los Angeles 6,000,000

https://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Y...189115?fref=ts
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Los-A...260960?fref=ts

Let me just throw these in:

Instagram Likes? No. New York is the most Instagrammed city in the world

More photographed? No. Ego Boost - New York is the most Photographed city in the World - Best Travel

Every quantifiable measures of "buzz" goes to New York and popularity goes to New York.
LA is the most photographed city... Hollywood is in LA not Nyc.... celebrities live in LA, BelAir, BevHills,Malibu not in NYC.....

Old 05-30-2015, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingoT View Post
LA is the most photographed city... Hollywood is in LA not Nyc.... celebrities live in LA, BelAir, BevHills,Malibu not in NYC.....
I would wager that NYC has as many celebrities as LA (and outside of the entertainment industry probably 4-5x as many celebrities), and is far more photographed than LA (though how to measure this, I don't know).

Old 05-30-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I would wager that NYC has as many celebrities as LA (and outside of the entertainment industry probably 4-5x as many celebrities), and is far more photographed than LA (though how to measure this, I don't know).
LA is the city for rich and those that serve them....NYC is for poor third world immigrants lol....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City