Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better ? Vegas or Denver (explain why too)
Vegas 40 31.25%
Denver 88 68.75%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 11:01 AM

696 posts, read 1,169,642 times

Advertisements

Between these two cities which is the best place to eat, work , and play?

Let's say you're young, single, and money was not a huge issue.

Which is better town to move to if one was considering between these two ?

Here's how I break it down

Las Vegas pros:

Yearly warm
Close to AZ, Southern CA
Loads of entertainment
Not freezing as Denver in the Winter
Low Taxes
Palm Trees
Nice desert surroundings.
Gambling (if you like that)
Lots of modern day amenities
not too conservative
incredible nightlife
great shopping (if you like that)
affordable
crime isn't crazy.
Good amount of 25-35year old crowd
Draws great international visitors
Skyline is unique

Denver Pros

Much greener than Vegas
Rocky Mountains
Legal Weed
Pro Sports
Known for beer
Good outdoor activities
Winter (if you like that)
Plenty of dining options
Not as party as Vegas
Enjoyable 4 Seasons
Surrounding lakes
More "traditional" skyline

Which would you choose and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
I would choose Youngstown, OH lol

Old 12-16-2014, 11:06 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Not sure how palm trees are a positive, but hey! Id choose Vegas personally, as I like the desert. Simple as that. Im not big on Vegas or Denver, but Id rather be in the desert, hence my choice.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
I don't particularly like either, but I would choose Denver simply because of the economy and availability of jobs in my field. Denver also has direct flights to Hartford, so I could visit family. The only thing that sucks is that Denver is now officially just as expensive as Connecticut, with median home values rapidly approaching $300K. I've been to both places and thought that the whole party/gaming theme just dominated the whole metro area to the point it was annoying. Likewise, I didn't like the whole liberal, hippie/hipster, homeless, flannel shirt, marijuana theme that existed in Denver. So annoying.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:53 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
I live in Vegas, so I can expand upon it's features a bit.

Not a party town... At all.
Vegas is home to an insane amount of retirees and most of the locals work on the strip... So most of the metro area is actually very quiet. The last place locals want to be on their off days is the strip... So most locals have a relaxed lifestyle in a suburban environment.
Gambling is down here and conventions are up. We now bring in more people and more money per year with business and conventions than we do with gambling.
We are on the verge of landing an NHL team, so it's "No Pro Sports" stigma will soon be gone.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:57 PM

3,453 posts, read 4,527,042 times
Fully agreed. Outside the gaming areas, Las Vegas is incredibly boring.

And the gaming areas are gross.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:01 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,465,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewww View Post
I cannot comprehend how a young, rich, single person (roughly the criteria outlined) would possibly conclude this.

I am lucky enough to fit that description and Vegas was one of my top 5 choices in the US. I barely gamble.

I am a straight male so I'll offer no opinion on the female or homosexual perspective.

Why I like Vegas?

-It's a freedom-loving place. Not a Republican "small government" facade, an actual freedom-loving place. Guns, whores, weed, all the fun stuff is acceptable in the privacy of your own home.

- The vibe in the party circle is rivaled only in Miami and some parts of LA. NYC can't compete with the vibe of the place for a single rich male. Maybe twenty years ago I don't know, I've heard stories but I'm young. the Micky Mouse post-Giuliani NYC has nothing on Vegas. Unless you want to hit an art museum and go to Nobu for mediocre sushi or something.

-In the heart of it all, almost everyone you meet is looking to have a good time, take a few risks doing so, etc.

- When you need a week off from the lights and the city, drive twenty miles in any direction and you're in God's Country. Take your super duty, load it down with all the toys an "alpha" male could possibly imagine and bring a few buddies. Shoot guns, hunt, 4 wheel, camp, drink, take peyote where the local Native Americans did for thousands of years, camp with no other human in ear-shot, etc. Reasonable weather most of the year to do this. Or you can drive an extra hour and be in High Country, looking for elk.

- Weather is reasonable most of the year. When it's "too hot" it's almost a good thing, perfect excuse to hit the pools for a beer, a topless waitress and probably several celebrities.

- zero income tax. COL is unrivaled for people shopping in the 2-4 million dollar property range. Florida has no income tax too but they get you in every other way possible. 50 grand a year in property taxes minimum in that price range in Dade County. Vegas it'll be half that.

It's an incredible place for single young men with money.

I also love Denver, lived there for 2 years. but I prefer vegas.

Of the positives listed for Denver, some caveats:

It is known for good beer and I have no idea why. Dozens of breweries in Colorado, only 3 or 4 good breweries in Colorado. but these days 7/10 states have amazing local brewery, and besides...as beer snobs know..usually the best beer in the house-regardless of what house you're in- is a bottle from halfway around the world.

Nevada realistically has legal weed too. Medical but you know.

re food, Vegas has better fine dining than Denver.

Pro sports thing is very true if you're into that. I'm not but a lot of people in Denver are, and they have it all. X games are close, soccer, football, baseball, everything. Vegas is severely limited here.

I think Denver winters are very enjoyable. 20 minute commutes take 45, walking outside for 3 months a year becomes an unpleasant choir, etc. Beautiful though.

If you're from anywhere except the baron Rockies, the lakes will dissapoint. Man-made, frozen, or so high up the wind will cause blisters on your face, most of em'. Fishing in Denver area lakes almost universally sucks too, even from a boat.

Hiking is obviously way better in denver. But if you're actually in Denver you have to be realistic about taking a commute to hike in the mountains. It's not like Denver Metro has a huge variety of rocky mountain trails. they don't. That's a weekend choir. Denver Proper hiking generally involves saying "no" to several homeless people asking for change.

Denver is not very green.

Obviously this reads like I don't care for Denver, but I do. I just don't agree w/ many of the positives you listed.
I agree with some of what you wrote, Vegas is an incredible place to visit and party. Not sure I would want to live their year round thou. I am not sold on the place, Vegas and its scammers and the superficial nature of the place would wear me out like Miami did.

Old 12-16-2014, 03:20 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,642 times
Quote:
I cannot comprehend how a young, rich, single person (roughly the criteria outlined) would possibly conclude this.

I am lucky enough to fit that description and Vegas was one of my top 5 choices in the US. I barely gamble.

I am a straight male so I'll offer no opinion on the female or homosexual perspective.

Why I like Vegas?

-It's a freedom-loving place. Not a Republican "small government" facade, an actual freedom-loving place. Guns, whores, weed, all the fun stuff is acceptable in the privacy of your own home.

- The vibe in the party circle is rivaled only in Miami and some parts of LA. NYC can't compete with the vibe of the place for a single rich male. Maybe twenty years ago I don't know, I've heard stories but I'm young. the Micky Mouse post-Giuliani NYC has nothing on Vegas. Unless you want to hit an art museum and go to Nobu for mediocre sushi or something.

-In the heart of it all, almost everyone you meet is looking to have a good time, take a few risks doing so, etc.

- When you need a week off from the lights and the city, drive twenty miles in any direction and you're in God's Country. Take your super duty, load it down with all the toys an "alpha" male could possibly imagine and bring a few buddies. Shoot guns, hunt, 4 wheel, camp, drink, take peyote where the local Native Americans did for thousands of years, camp with no other human in ear-shot, etc. Reasonable weather most of the year to do this. Or you can drive an extra hour and be in High Country, looking for elk.

- Weather is reasonable most of the year. When it's "too hot" it's almost a good thing, perfect excuse to hit the pools for a beer, a topless waitress and probably several celebrities.

- zero income tax. COL is unrivaled for people shopping in the 2-4 million dollar property range. Florida has no income tax too but they get you in every other way possible. 50 grand a year in property taxes minimum in that price range in Dade County. Vegas it'll be half that.

It's an incredible place for single young men with money.

I also love Denver, lived there for 2 years. but I prefer vegas.

Of the positives listed for Denver, some caveats:

It is known for good beer and I have no idea why. Dozens of breweries in Colorado, only 3 or 4 good breweries in Colorado. but these days 7/10 states have amazing local brewery, and besides...as beer snobs know..usually the best beer in the house-regardless of what house you're in- is a bottle from halfway around the world.

Nevada realistically has legal weed too. Medical but you know.

re food, Vegas has better fine dining than Denver.

Pro sports thing is very true if you're into that. I'm not but a lot of people in Denver are, and they have it all. X games are close, soccer, football, baseball, everything. Vegas is severely limited here.

I don't think Denver winters are very enjoyable. 20 minute commutes take 45, walking outside for 3 months a year becomes an unpleasant choir, etc. Beautiful though.

If you're from anywhere except the baron Rockies, the lakes will dissapoint. Man-made, frozen, or so high up the wind will cause blisters on your face, most of em'. Fishing in Denver area lakes almost universally sucks too, even from a boat.

Hiking is obviously way better AROUND denver. But if you're actually in Denver you have to be realistic about taking a commute to hike in the mountains. It's not like Denver Metro has a huge variety of rocky mountain trails. they don't. That's a weekend choir. Denver Proper hiking generally involves saying "no" to several homeless people asking for change.

Denver is not very green.

Obviously this reads like I don't care for Denver, but I do. I just don't agree w/ many of the positives you listed.
Very well said man! Young , Rich , Single Man to me I don't see why a young bachelor would choose Denver over Vegas unless he's a true pothead, or really loves Pro Sports. Vegas has everything a young successful bachelor could want. It's also very international and an open minded town. You get a variety of diversity in Vegas similar to that of NYC , Miami, Los Angeles. At the same time though it's not as large as Los Angeles or New York, if you want to go to suburbia and "relax" you got that, if not you can go to the strip and never be bored. The fact you have everything you could want in a city, without being in a hugely overcrowded city makes it a big plus. The modern amenities are a big plus, and I also enjoy the desert and I like the westcoast flavor it has it. It's not you typical conservative american town it's a town for those that people love a variety of entertainment, food, and diversity .

Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,625,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Very well said man! Young , Rich , Single Man to me I don't see why a young bachelor would choose Denver over Vegas unless he's a true pothead, or really loves Pro Sports. Vegas has everything a young successful bachelor could want. It's also very international and an open minded town. You get a variety of diversity in Vegas similar to that of NYC , Miami, Los Angeles. At the same time though it's not as large as Los Angeles or New York, if you want to go to suburbia and "relax" you got that, if not you can go to the strip and never be bored. The fact you have everything you could want in a city, without being in a hugely overcrowded city makes it a big plus. The modern amenities are a big plus, and I also enjoy the desert and I like the westcoast flavor it has it. It's not you typical conservative american town it's a town for those that people love a variety of entertainment, food, and diversity .
Bingo.

Vegas gets such a bad rap from people who know very little about it.

as a visitor, when you think "Las Vegas", you think slot machines, poppin champagne bottles and a bunch of other REALLY stereotypical garbage.

Once you live here, you realize it's being able to BBQ pretty much any day of the year and hiking in some great areas.

Living in Vegas is waaaaay more relaxed and chill than people think.

The strip and convention area are the city's moneymakers... We all work down there but we definitely dont want to be down there in our spare time.
Many of the people I know who moved here came here from somewhere with an awful climate - myself included. After spending 30 years in Wisconsin, I am more than content with poppin a beer open and sitting outside in great weather.

This city isn't all about the strip... Are people in NY obsessed with Times Square? Nope. Are people in New Orleans obsessed with Bourbon Street? Nope.

Visitor perception is slightly different than actual resident perception.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:05 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
I don't think Denver winters are very enjoyable. 20 minute commutes take 45, walking outside for 3 months a year becomes an unpleasant choir, etc. Beautiful though.
What, are they singing Lady Gaga songs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City