Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: NYC or DC?
New York 20 44.44%
DC 25 55.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 02:41 PM

42 posts, read 72,232 times

Advertisements

Which city, New York or Washington, is better to spend the 4th of July in?

There's only like a $15 difference in airfare from ABQ for that weekend, so which is a better bet as far as things to do, events, fireworks shows, free activities, overall "cool" factor.

I've been to both cities before, so looking for more specific comparisons surrounding 4th of July activities (Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest, National Parade, etc.).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 02:48 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Both are cool places to be on the 4th. NYC obviously has way more to do than DC. The fireworks displays are about equal imo. In DC, you can see the fireworkers from more locations in the city.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:52 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
I have done both and find DC the better option in terms of overall feel of being the 4th of July. Furthermore pretty much all of DC's activities are free ranging from the fireworks to the museums and the National Zoo which is more than enough to keep everyone entertained and busy.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:40 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,562,959 times
NYC because there's more to do but D.C. doesn't slouch. Besides NYC and DC, only Philadelphia has an.on par fireworks celebration.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:30 PM

42 posts, read 72,232 times
Cool, thanks for the input. I think it's going to have to come down to a coin flip haha. Between the free stuff to do/see in DC and the sheer volume of things to do in New York, I figured it would be a pretty close call.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:39 PM

282 posts, read 350,494 times
There is not a day in the 365 calendar day calendar year in which Washington, DC would be a better idea than New York.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:53 PM

696 posts, read 1,169,415 times
Both are worth a try , I would say New York would probably be more exciting around that time though.

I personally would go to Las Vegas ,NV or Miami or New York, somewhere "happening" with fireworks.

Old 05-28-2015, 06:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,567,370 times
i would spend a week and do dc, philly, new york and boston. lots of colonial history in those cities (excepting new york).

Old 05-28-2015, 06:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i would spend a week and do dc, philly, new york and boston. lots of colonial history in those cities (excepting new york).
Umm, the earliest census reading of New York City dates back to 1698, how is it NOT a part of Colonial history? New York City has its historic areas as well.

Old 05-28-2015, 08:45 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,969,008 times
I believe a big determination is literally what you are up for and the amount of time and effort you are willing to put forth that weekend.

NY requires a lot of logistics in terms of traveling through the city, the outer boroughs. You will also run into extra traffic due to security measures. Keep in mind NY being a zoo period.

DC on the other hand can get packed but it seems to be centralized while the outer bound towns in MD and Northern VA aren't as hectic to travel about. Last year the harbor in MD was closed for the event but I was able to catch it on a bridge in Alexandria where many of the locals and out of towners attended. Street parking was not even an issue. It was a quick check in the box and went back home.

For me, I am not a big July 4th type so I would choose DC because of pure logistics and if it is strictly about the fireworks display and nothing else. However, if I was going to spend money on travel and was going to make an overall experience out of it, I would go all out and do NYC if given the choice- as you seem to have.

Bottom line, if you are looking for easy logistics within the city limits with some a possible mild outing afterwards in the city, I would go with DC. Plus, it's not as expensive to find parking and take the metro.

But if you are trying to bring out the M-80 dynamite sticks, I would do NY.

But again, it all depends on how much effort you are willing to put forth in terms of logistics and getting around. But if you are coming from Albuquerque, I would break out the DYN-O-MITE and go with NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City