U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 08:03 AM

3,276 posts, read 4,412,972 times

Advertisements

I live in Phoenix and like it, but when you start talking about which city has more culture (museums, food scene, diversity, music and arts scene, etc.) I give the nod to Houston at this point. Phoenix is still a relatively young city that is beginning to come into its own. However, since it is situated in the desert, it may never develop in the way most other (non-desert) cities do. As for outdoor recreational activities I give Phoenix a slight edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 06:05 AM

109 posts, read 130,975 times
I doubt this topic/question will be well-received by others on here (as, oftentimes, many people just don't seem to care to discuss this issue), but I'm curious which of these cities some of you think is the more dangerous/violent/ghetto/crime-ridden city in its bad/worst parts? I am simply asking because this is something I am often curious about when it comes cities/areas on the U.S.

I was born and raised in Arizona and have only driven through/by Houston twice, but I've been curious about this stuff for many years now, so I have often asked people I've met (and on online forums) about what it's like where they're from, and I'm going to guess that most people will say that Houston is more dangerous/violent. I know that Phoenix (especially, south Phoenix; and the West Valley, Maryvalle, in particular) has some rough areas with lots of crime and violence, but it seems like Houston has significantly more crime and violence overall/in general. Part of this is based on having watched The First 48 for over a decade now and having often seen episodes that were filmed in Harris County; which The First 48 has featured many times over the years. Plus, I've seen videos of crimes in Houston and read articles and many online posts from people describing crime and dangerous situations they've encountered in/around the Houston area, and it just seems like Houston has some truly scary, dangerous parts. Especially, after Hurricane Katrina caused thousands of people (i.e. criminals) to leave New Orleans and relocate to Houston.

I don't know that Houston's ghettos and dangerous parts are typically considered to be on the same level as places like Detroit, Chicago, Miami, Oakland, Philadelphia, Camden, etc., but, realistically, it seems like Houston might actually be that bad and deserving of being mentioned with places like that, when it comes to naming the most-dangerous/crime-ridden places in the country. And (despite this past week, seemingly, being extremely violent and tragic) it just does not seem like Phoenix has crime and violence on the same level as Houston (or the other cities I mentioned).

Anyway, like I stated, I'm just curious what some of the other people on here might think about this. If you have any stories/personal experiences about scary/dangerous situations you've been, in or crimes you've been a victim of, in Phoenix or Houston, or if you just want to post and share your opinion, please feel free to reply. I'd be glad to see what some of y'all think!

Old 01-21-2016, 09:33 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,306,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJackAz View Post
I doubt this topic/question will be well-received by others on here (as, oftentimes, many people just don't seem to care to discuss this issue), but I'm curious which of these cities some of you think is the more dangerous/violent/ghetto/crime-ridden city in its bad/worst parts? I am simply asking because this is something I am often curious about when it comes cities/areas on the U.S.

I was born and raised in Arizona and have only driven through/by Houston twice, but I've been curious about this stuff for many years now, so I have often asked people I've met (and on online forums) about what it's like where they're from, and I'm going to guess that most people will say that Houston is more dangerous/violent. I know that Phoenix (especially, south Phoenix; and the West Valley, Maryvalle, in particular) has some rough areas with lots of crime and violence, but it seems like Houston has significantly more crime and violence overall/in general. Part of this is based on having watched The First 48 for over a decade now and having often seen episodes that were filmed in Harris County; which The First 48 has featured many times over the years. Plus, I've seen videos of crimes in Houston and read articles and many online posts from people describing crime and dangerous situations they've encountered in/around the Houston area, and it just seems like Houston has some truly scary, dangerous parts. Especially, after Hurricane Katrina caused thousands of people (i.e. criminals) to leave New Orleans and relocate to Houston.

I don't know that Houston's ghettos and dangerous parts are typically considered to be on the same level as places like Detroit, Chicago, Miami, Oakland, Philadelphia, Camden, etc., but, realistically, it seems like Houston might actually be that bad and deserving of being mentioned with places like that, when it comes to naming the most-dangerous/crime-ridden places in the country. And (despite this past week, seemingly, being extremely violent and tragic) it just does not seem like Phoenix has crime and violence on the same level as Houston (or the other cities I mentioned).

Anyway, like I stated, I'm just curious what some of the other people on here might think about this. If you have any stories/personal experiences about scary/dangerous situations you've been, in or crimes you've been a victim of, in Phoenix or Houston, or if you just want to post and share your opinion, please feel free to reply. I'd be glad to see what some of y'all think!
per capita Houston's murder rate is not that bad. Houston hasn't been very dangerous since the early 90s.

Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 AM

992 posts, read 613,946 times
Houston wins everything by far. Except Lower Crime and Less Traffic

Old 01-21-2016, 11:43 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,512,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Houston wins everything by far. Except Lower Crime and Less Traffic
Houston wins everything by far? You have no clue what you are talking about, I might say yes Houston wins by a slight edge but you're acting as if he was comparing NYC to PHX when you say phrases such as "by far".

Old 01-21-2016, 06:34 PM

5,361 posts, read 7,050,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Houston wins everything by far? You have no clue what you are talking about, I might say yes Houston wins by a slight edge but you're acting as if he was comparing NYC to PHX when you say phrases such as "by far".
Don't you know, "by far", "far and away", "blows away", "blows out of the water", "miles ahead" and "punches above its weight" are pretty common phrases here on CD? Ridiculous for sure, but common...lol.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:40 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,512,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Don't you know, "by far", "far and away", "blows away", "blows out of the water", "miles ahead" and "punches above its weight" are pretty common phrases here on CD? Ridiculous for sure, but common...lol.
Yeah blows away, world class, and by far are pretty common on here, never really those phrases irritating until city data.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:29 PM

1,307 posts, read 2,065,227 times
In terms of location: Phoenix - proximity to L.A., Vegas, Sonora, but for actual living inner loop Houston beats Phoenix by a large margin. Houston has way more urbanity - from architecture to universities, restaurants, cultural institutions, plus a significantly better economy -the oil slump notwithstanding - also much greater racial and ethnic diversity, more cosmopolitan etc. But if it is a choice between Scottsdale and Sugarland, Scottsdale is way prettier, actually has a bit of nightlife and is slightly less cookie-cutter.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:33 AM

75 posts, read 159,225 times
I lived in Phoenix for 13+ years .....1994 to 2007 before moving to Houston to help with my mother who had Alzheimer's. I Had lived in the Woodlands for 3 years before in late 80's to 1990 so i knew about Houston floods etc. I was careful about the house I bought studied maps etc and knock on wood have not flooded......yet......even with Harvey dumping almost 40 inches of rain in 4 days. I lived in Tempe for 5 years and Ahwatukee for 8 .....I would take Phoenix any day of the week. My wife liked Houston better but the floods,157 tornado warnings etc.....she said enough lets get the hell out of here ASAP and we are looking for a buyer and starting to box up right now and hope to be back in AZ by Dec. IMHO most of Houston is a dump/Ghetto.....with the exception of Sugar land ...Woodlands...Kingwood...Memorial...and parts of Katy and Cypress. We live on the Katy Cypress border. Even here there has been one Murder and two home break-ins around us....these are 250k homes.There are some parts of Houston I would not drive through....and once looking for an address we got lost and we were spit at somebody threw a rock at our Highlander and yelled "Get the F**k out of here you white M.F. My wife is Mexican and Im white.....I was shocked. That never happened in AZ. I cant stand Humidity and 106 in Phoenix beats 95 and 75 percent humidity any day.....plus these damm floods. I will be so happy to get out of here im going to kiss the ground when i get back to AZ. We are retired....my wife is 70 im 64 dont work and dont fit in like we did in the retirement area around Phoenix. I cant find one thing to do here....I hate malls....you goto one museum why go backnagain....Plays ? not in this life. Houston is a prime example of over built urban macmansions.....flat ....ugly... bugs...roaches the size of small dogs. No thanks...

Old 09-07-2017, 10:36 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,335,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Houston is better than NYC too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or