U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 01:24 PM

2,459 posts, read 1,042,039 times

Advertisements

How is it that every new poster that comes in here lacks understanding of how to create paragraphs?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/49445095-post19.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 03:06 PM

15,679 posts, read 3,112,310 times
Both Phoenix and Houston appeal to me but I like Phoenix more.I like both cities in the outdoors department because Houston is closer to white tail deer hunting and redfishing but Arizona has the western landscapes and the national parks.I like how Texas does not have a income tax.I couldnt care less about shopping and nitelife.I like the Phoenix climate better but I am thinking of living in both cities at some point.I am in the oil and gas industry so Houston is obvious winner in that area but I still like Phoenix better.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM

15,355 posts, read 8,025,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Which city along I-10 do you like better between Phoenix or Houston and why? Also which city has better restaurants, nightlife, things to do, lower crime, less traffic, shopping, etc?
I like Phoenix better due to better climate, mountains, less crime and lower cost of living.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmh1013 View Post
I lived in Phoenix for 13+ years .....1994 to 2007 before moving to Houston to help with my mother who had Alzheimer's. I Had lived in the Woodlands for 3 years before in late 80's to 1990 so i knew about Houston floods etc. I was careful about the house I bought studied maps etc and knock on wood have not flooded......yet......even with Harvey dumping almost 40 inches of rain in 4 days. I lived in Tempe for 5 years and Ahwatukee for 8 .....I would take Phoenix any day of the week. My wife liked Houston better but the floods,157 tornado warnings etc.....she said enough lets get the hell out of here ASAP and we are looking for a buyer and starting to box up right now and hope to be back in AZ by Dec. IMHO most of Houston is a dump/Ghetto.....with the exception of Sugar land ...Woodlands...Kingwood...Memorial...and parts of Katy and Cypress. We live on the Katy Cypress border. Even here there has been one Murder and two home break-ins around us....these are 250k homes.There are some parts of Houston I would not drive through....and once looking for an address we got lost and we were spit at somebody threw a rock at our Highlander and yelled "Get the F**k out of here you white M.F. My wife is Mexican and Im white.....I was shocked. That never happened in AZ. I cant stand Humidity and 106 in Phoenix beats 95 and 75 percent humidity any day.....plus these damm floods. I will be so happy to get out of here im going to kiss the ground when i get back to AZ. We are retired....my wife is 70 im 64 dont work and dont fit in like we did in the retirement area around Phoenix. I cant find one thing to do here....I hate malls....you goto one museum why go backnagain....Plays ? not in this life. Houston is a prime example of over built urban macmansions.....flat ....ugly... bugs...roaches the size of small dogs. No thanks...
I've spent plenty of time in both (Nothing like you but enough to know the 2 cities) and that's pretty much how I see it. I wouldn't consider going back to Texas but Phoenix has an awesome vibe imo. To me, Houston's only real advantage over Phoenix is a stronger economy which is no longer a plus for me about to retire.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I've spent plenty of time in both (Nothing like you but enough to know the 2 cities) and that's pretty much how I see it. I wouldn't consider going back to Texas but Phoenix has an awesome vibe imo. To me, Houston's only real advantage over Phoenix is a stronger economy which is no longer a plus for me about to retire.
does Houston still have a better economy than Phoenix because West Texas Intermediate is still cheap?

Old 09-08-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
does Houston still have a better economy than Phoenix because West Texas Intermediate is still cheap?
Well Houston's unemployment rate is now much higher at 5.1% than Phoenix at 4.0% but they still have a lot more high paying jobs in Houston with the oil companies located there. My company has a large engineering office there and staffing is way down due to the oil price is preventing large oil companies building new plants. I guess if oil price continues down for years, we could potentially see Houston's economy dropping below Phoenix in overall health.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Well Houston's unemployment rate is now much higher at 5.1% than Phoenix at 4.0% but they still have a lot more high paying jobs in Houston with the oil companies located there. My company has a large engineering office there and staffing is way down due to the oil price is preventing large oil companies building new plants. I guess if oil price continues down for years, we could potentially see Houston's economy dropping below Phoenix in overall health.
Okay i see.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:51 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,307,283 times
Houston also has a much better medical and aerospace field.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfoe View Post
Houston also has a much better medical and aerospace field.
I think the much better medical is arguable with the Mayo Clinic and good care available in Phoenix. I know that Houston does probably have the best cancer center in the world so that's a plus they would have over everywhere else.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:37 PM

23 posts, read 16,120 times
I used to live in Houston. Visited Phoenix more than once. I'd have to go with Houston of course. Phoenix is nice but way too hot for my blood. Houston is larger and has more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or