U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 02:28 PM
Status: "Rocktober...well that was fast. :-(" (set 18 days ago)

10,285 posts, read 10,446,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Oklahoma City and Albuquerque aren't that far apart in terms of actual size. The ABQ metro has 1.1 million and the OKC metro has 1.3 million. I draw the dividing line between big small city and small big city at the 1 million mark, which both ABQ and OKC are north of that.

That said, ABQ pulls its weight as a metro of 1.1 million people that is the cultural and economic driver of its state. OKC really fails in that area and should be much better than it is given its economy, population, and GDP. Other than the NBA, I doubt there are any amenities you can find in OKC that you can't find in ABQ. I doubt the reverse is true; ABQ offers a lot that OKC doesn't.
The 2014 estimates for Albuquerque are 904,587, up from 887,077 in 2010. After pretty significant growth from 2000-2010, growth has really slowed in Albuquerque in more recent years. If you're going off of CSA, I'll grant you the 1.1 million, but Oklahoma City's CSA is a little over 1.4 million. I don't draw a line by population of MSA/CSA so much as the way a place feels. Albuquerque does not feel like a big city to me at all. It isn't small, hence my description as a big "small city." I think your second paragraph is somewhat subjective. How does Oklahoma City fail in the area specified? What does Albuquerque offer that Oklahoma City does not? When it comes to amenities, I doubt there are significant differences one over the other. The differences that do exist are likely nuanced by cultural attractions or defined by preference. Can you find unique restaurants, shops or other attractions in both cities? You'll never convince me you can't. Is one better than the other? Like I said, that's entirely subjective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 09:06 PM

2,468 posts, read 2,724,033 times
I prefer Albq in all categories for this thread. Albq is also just way more scenic than OKC.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:31 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,277,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
The 2014 estimates for Albuquerque are 904,587, up from 887,077 in 2010. After pretty significant growth from 2000-2010, growth has really slowed in Albuquerque in more recent years. If you're going off of CSA, I'll grant you the 1.1 million, but Oklahoma City's CSA is a little over 1.4 million. I don't draw a line by population of MSA/CSA so much as the way a place feels. Albuquerque does not feel like a big city to me at all. It isn't small, hence my description as a big "small city." I think your second paragraph is somewhat subjective. How does Oklahoma City fail in the area specified? What does Albuquerque offer that Oklahoma City does not? When it comes to amenities, I doubt there are significant differences one over the other. The differences that do exist are likely nuanced by cultural attractions or defined by preference. Can you find unique restaurants, shops or other attractions in both cities? You'll never convince me you can't. Is one better than the other? Like I said, that's entirely subjective.
Oklahoma City does have some unique cultural attractions. The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is unique as is OKC's stockyards district. OKC is kind of at a crossroads between the Old South and the Southwest with a touch of the Midwest, and its culture reflects that. There are worse places to live than OKC and for somebody coming from a rural area or very small city, OKC will probably offer plenty. Where it really fails is what it offers compared to other cities its size. Even Jacksonville, one of the least urban cities in the US, looks like Boston compared to OKC. Oklahoma City is improving but the only way it will ever catch up to other cities its size is if it sees an Austin-style boom which is unlikely to happen with oil as cheap as it is. Albuquerque is a bit more culturally progressive and it has amazing scenery and natural amenities. The city offers a level of amenities that one would expect for a city of 1.1 million people. It also has much better weather. If one is looking for a real big city experience, neither city will likely satisfy. Albuquerque though has some distinct advantages while OKC's best attribute is cheap suburban housing.

Last edited by bawac34618; 07-18-2015 at 09:46 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 08:22 PM

152 posts, read 114,927 times
Having lived in both I disagree with most posters here. OKC is far more green, and does not have the drab dirt look to it that Alb has. Alb has plenty of southwest culture, but lacks diversity. As stated before OKC is at a unique place where the southwest, Midwest, and Great Plains meet, while still preserving a great deal of heritage for many Native American nations. OKC definitely feels much larger and I agree with the poster that said OKC feels like a small city whereas ALB feels like a large town.

OKC has a stronger economy and it would be easier to find a good paying job there. OKC history is unique as very few cities outside of Oklahoma started out as a race. It is hot and does have tornadoes, but it is not as dry as ALB, which is a matter of preference. Traffic flows much better in OKC and you are much closer to other cities (Tulsa, Dallas, Wichita) than you are in ALB.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:08 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamo fan View Post
Having lived in both I disagree with most posters here. OKC is far more green, and does not have the drab dirt look to it that Alb has. Alb has plenty of southwest culture, but lacks diversity. As stated before OKC is at a unique place where the southwest, Midwest, and Great Plains meet, while still preserving a great deal of heritage for many Native American nations. OKC definitely feels much larger and I agree with the poster that said OKC feels like a small city whereas ALB feels like a large town.

OKC has a stronger economy and it would be easier to find a good paying job there. OKC history is unique as very few cities outside of Oklahoma started out as a race. It is hot and does have tornadoes, but it is not as dry as ALB, which is a matter of preference. Traffic flows much better in OKC and you are much closer to other cities (Tulsa, Dallas, Wichita) than you are in ALB.
OKC is interesting because the east side of town is forested (the cross timbers) and the west side of town is more plains looking although the trees have really grown up around the creeks. Even the more plainsey looking southside is green right now with all of the rain.

One thing I enjoy about OKC is that you get some green and in the east side it is a carpet of green juxtaposed against the blue sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or