Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More connected?
New York-Philadelphia 38 61.29%
Chicago-Milwaukee 12 19.35%
Los Angeles-San Diego 12 19.35%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:15 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,643,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I don't think I agree.

While the Amtrak connects the two cities' downtown areas, that is also the case in the other two. There are two Metrolink (LA-based) lines that connect with the Coaster (SD-based) that runs up and down North County. There is rail connection, and yes it is better than most cities in the US, but I don't think it is as strong as the connection between NYC/PHI.

There are only really two freeways connecting the two areas, and there is a large military base in between. I believe in the other two areas, there are essentially suburbs completely connecting the two cities.

When the second phase of the High Speed rail is built (presumably by the aliens that overtake earth in 2300), then I think they might become the most connected.
^ This. I don't feel very connected to San Diego here in LA. I've actually only visited SD once in the 6 years I've lived here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 06:51 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,406,302 times
I can sense the Philadelphians salivating at the thought of a joint NYC/Philly CSA.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:19 PM

905 posts, read 791,109 times
Chicago and Milwaukee are really not the least bit connected; sure there's some cross-attendance at sporting events and Chicagoans attend Summerfest and pass through Milwaukee on their way to WI vacation destinations and Milwaukeeans might head to Chicago for a weekend of shopping, etc but neither city is part of the others routine "consciousness"-each is its own and neither gives the other much thought.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
Chicago and Milwaukee are really not the least bit connected; sure there's some cross-attendance at sporting events and Chicagoans attend Summerfest and pass through Milwaukee on their way to WI vacation destinations and Milwaukeeans might head to Chicago for a weekend of shopping, etc but neither city is part of the others routine "consciousness"-each is its own and neither gives the other much thought.
True-the same can also be said for Philly and NYC-neither really gives the other much thought.

I remember Freshmen year of College in NYC a girl from way out in the Hamptons, Long Island asked if I had to fly home to get to Philly haha. Little did she know my train ride was much quicker than hers. There are also people in each city who strangely have never been to the other. The accents/food/col/etc are quite different. Even the Jersey Shore is pretty evenly divided between New York area people and Philly-North or South of Atlantic City, which draws both.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:08 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svicious22 View Post
I agree, Lived in Chicago 6-years and never heard Milwaukee really brought up. Even in the news? Really nothing.

Philly on the other hand ALWAYS ties itself to NYC. Perhaps Milwaukeeans do with Chicago? But I only went through it in a train to and back from Wisconsin Dells. Philadelphians even boast of the wannabe like NYC little sister. But also loathing being overlooked for tourist going to NYC and DC.

I'm not sure if in Milwaukee, they probably get some Chicago TV stations but I never sensed jealousy or Chicagoans brag a superiority? Most Chicagoans never much have Milwaukee on their radar.

I agree with this ⤵
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calisonn View Post
I can sense the Philadelphians salivating at the thought of a joint NYC/Philly CSA.
Still Philly both love's and hate's the overpowering Nature of NYC. But no real rivalry? Because it can't take NYC on..... and win.

I'd say Dallas and Houston. Have the Biggest Rivalries between them. Even on C-D that thread goes on forever.... back and forth knocks and boast.

LA and SF? I'd say some.... not severe as Philly/NYC? You would. Think too Philly and Pittsburg? But neither worry's or connects with the other.

Now Cleveland/Cincinnati/Columbus Ohio YES A bit of loathing/Jealousy/Blame.

Last edited by steeps; 05-31-2015 at 10:22 PM..

Old 05-31-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
I agree, Lived in Chicago 6-years and never heard Milwaukee really brought up. Even in the news? Really nothing.

Philly on the other hand ALWAYS ties itself to NYC. Perhaps Milwaukeeans do with Chicago? But I only went through it in a train to and back from Wisconsin Dells. Philadelphians even boast of the wannabe like NYC little sister. But also loathing being overlooked for tourist going to NYC and DC.

I'm not sure if in Milwaukee, they probably get some Chicago TV stations but I never sensed jealousy or Chicagoans brag a superiority? Most Chicagoans never much have Milwaukee on their radar.

I agree with this ⤵

Still Philly both love's and hate's the overpowering Nature of NYC. But no real rivalry? Because it can't take NYC on..... and win.
Why do you still post about Philly like you know anything about it?

You are always so off-base with your rants.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:19 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
Steeps, I disagree. I have family in Chicago, who often go to Milwaukee to spend the week-end. Not for Summerfest, but just various week-ends, usually in the summer. I don't live in Milwaukee, so they aren't coming to visit family. It's not just them, though. Many other of their friends frequent Milwaukee for a week-end getaway. Also, the Third Ward in Milwaukee has quite a few condos that have been sold to Chicago residents, who come up and live on many a week-end. I know this to be true, as I've talked to some when looking at real estate in the Third Ward. I guess none of us knows it all, but for you to say Milwaukee isn't brought up...maybe not by your acquaintances, but it certainly is by others.

There's this, too.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-milwaukee-now

Old 06-01-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Why do you still post about Philly like you know anything about it?

You are always so off-base with your rants.
please specify what was incorrect and you disagree AND CORRECT IT PLEASE. LIKE NowInWi.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeps View Post
please specify what was incorrect and you disagree AND CORRECT IT PLEASE.
No. Everything you've posted is opposite of what I've posted in this thread, and most of it is incoherent anyway-it's already evident.

The difference is I grew up in Philly and live there now, while you live in the middle of Pennsylvania, probably 5 hours away and have never lived here, much less know anything about it.

I just don't get why people feel the need to post so often and consistently on cities they know nothing about, and have no connection to.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Steeps, I disagree. I have family in Chicago, who often go to Milwaukee to spend the week-end. Not for Summerfest, but just various week-ends, usually in the summer. I don't live in Milwaukee, so they aren't coming to visit family. It's not just them, though. Many other of their friends frequent Milwaukee for a week-end getaway. Also, the Third Ward in Milwaukee has quite a few condos that have been sold to Chicago residents, who come up and live on many a week-end. I know this to be true, as I've talked to some when looking at real estate in the Third Ward. I guess none of us knows it all, but for you to say Milwaukee isn't brought up...maybe not by your acquaintances, but it certainly is by others.

There's this, too.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...-milwaukee-now
I certainly accept you claim. I merely went by my living in Chicago in the past. Most eyes to Wisconsin went to central and northern WI like Madison, Baraboo, especially the Dells, to Door county. My relatives retired to Lake Delton/Dells. No TV stations from Milwaukee did I view from Milwaukee, but sure they got Chicago stations.

But of course that was then. Seems Milwaukee is more discovered today. That is good for a better overall Chicago/Milwaukee Greater Super Metropolitan Region. Where one FULLY Accepts the presence of the other as in it together. UNLIKE SOME OTHERS WHO LOATHE ASPECTS OF THE OTHERS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City