U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city to live in?
Las Vegas 57 41.01%
Miami 82 58.99%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-11-2015, 03:35 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,478,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
No right or wrong answer, it's what someone perfers.Miami is a more complete city & Vegas is a more 24/7 city,The Vegas strip is arguably the most 24/7 lifestyle & entertainment in America.
I don't agree with this either. Vegas is officially 24/7, but Miami closes at 5am. 2 hours short of being officially a "24/7" city. However there are nightclubs granted exceptions and that are 24/7, see Space.

That being said, there are beach parties here all the time, yacht parties here, and more activity at anytime of the night during our season. Mostly because we get a lot of tourists from Europe, jet legged out of their mind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 03:45 PM

5,619 posts, read 13,299,372 times
A lot of Vegas clubs close at 4am don't they? Miami has some open till 6am or 24/7. Even Chicago closes at 5am, and that's a WAY better city than Miami WITH great nightlife.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:55 PM

1,564 posts, read 1,008,221 times
SPD,Did you read what i said correctly ? I said Vegas is more of a 24/ 7 city,L.A & Diego got certain spots that are 24/7 but on a core level Vegas is way more 24/7 than Miami far as the strip goes.Vegas strip is miles long & wide on both sides of the streets,multiple parties are going down all the time,concerts & tourists, gambling & entertainment never stops in Vegas.i would even rank the Vegas strip above times square in entertainment & 24/7 lifestyle.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:21 PM

16,461 posts, read 19,996,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The only thing that worries me about moving to Miami is that it just NEVER cools down even in winter. Some winter weather that lets you bundle up is fun, but Miami highs are never under even 70 usually in winter. But I'd take 92 with beaches, some clouds, and thunderstorms over 105-110 with no clouds and sand.
Someone needs to spend some time studying Heat Indexes!

90 degrees, in Miami, with 70% humidity, you have a Feel Index of 106!
90 degrees with 80% humidity, a Feel Index of 113!

In Las Vegas, with our humidity levels sometimes plunging to even 3%, if the temp is 110, you automatically shave off 8 degrees for the Feel Index.

And? The desert does do a great job of cooling off at night here!

I lived in FL, one time, summer of 1969, and I know well the comparisons!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

90 degrees, in Miami, with 70% humidity, you have a Feel Index of 106!
90 degrees with 80% humidity, a Feel Index of 113!

In Las Vegas, with our humidity levels sometimes plunging to even 3%, if the temp is 110, you automatically shave off 8 degrees for the Feel Index.

And? The desert does do a great job of cooling off at night here!

I lived in FL, one time, summer of 1969, and I know well the comparisons!
But I have no interest in LV either haha. Miami doesn't have the best weather on earth either, but at least it's a better city and has the culture I want.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Hold off with your exclamations. I just did man, and Las Vegas has the hotter summers with heat index. Look back just a couple posts. Over the summer Vegas averages a heat index of 94.4 and Miami 92 F.

Not to mention heat index is not really "heat index." It's a human model that takes into account just two factors, humidity and air temperature. Have you ever been sitting outside and all of a sudden a cloud rolled over the sun and you felt cool? That's not factored into "heat index" but it has a real effect on how hot human beings feel. Not to mention breezes.

Las Vegas is worse. Much worse. This is not just me, but also people I know who've been to both in the summer.

Last edited by SDPMiami; 06-12-2015 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-12-2015, 09:44 AM

1,791 posts, read 2,125,089 times
Then why is the heat index still so much higher than the actual temperature, even on a cloudy day? I'm just trying to get educated here is all. I'm learning a lot from you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Hold off with your exclamations. I just did man, and Las Vegas has the hotter summers with heat index. Look back just a couple posts. Over the summer Vegas averages a heat index of 94.4 and Miami 92 F.

Not to mention heat index is not really "heat index." It's a human model that takes into account just two factors, humidity and air temperature. Have you ever been sitting outside and all of a sudden a cloud rolled over the sun and you felt cool? That's not factored into "heat index" but it has a real effect on how hot human beings feel. Not to mention breezes.

Las Vegas is worse. Much worse. This is not just me, but also people I know who've been to both in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails
Las Vegas vs. Miami-capture.gif  

Old 06-12-2015, 10:09 AM

The humidity makes the air feel hotter. Let's go with 95 degrees. Both Miami and LV can hit 95 easily in summer. In LV, the low humidity makes the air slightly cooler, maybe says 92 degrees. But go stand out in the open with direct sunlight and no shade. Now in Miami, 95 with humidity will feel over 100. But stand under a tree or an umbrella. The shade makes a huge difference.

Now, imagine 107 in LV with a heat index of 99. Miami at 90 with a heat index of 98. While walking around LV, you will constantly be under direct sunlight that will quickly heat up your hair, skin, and clothes, the pavement will get hotter, the buildings get hotter, and all those glass buildings reflect the suns rays. That 99 is going to feel horrible when your the sun will just not stop beaming down on you and the city and the pavement. In Miami, though, the 98 degrees with humidity comes with clouds. Without the direct sunlight on you, it feels much cooler. The sun doesn't heat up your clothes, house, buildings, cars, etc. as much. Then the afternoon thunderstorm comes through, humidity might drop, and the rain can sometimes drop the temperatures.

Also last year for EDC people died from heatstroke because it was still 99 at midnight. Miami will NEVER be 99 at midnight. Maybe 85 with humidity, but never 99. And think about night temperatures. 80 degrees with humidity at night feels much cooler than 80 degrees with humidity in the middle of the day because the sunlight heats everything up more.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Then why is the heat index still so much higher than the actual temperature, even on a cloudy day? I'm just trying to get educated here is all. I'm learning a lot from you!
Because Einstein, "heat index" only factors in air temperature and humidity. It doesn't take into account if the sun is shining. Which is one of the many reasons "heat index" can be a poor approximation.

Put it simply a sunny day with 95f and 70% humidity will have the same heat index as a cloudy 95f day with 70% humidity. But the sunny day feels hotter.

I know you're not that good with thinking for yourself but either way Vegas has a higher heat index in the summer.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
The humidity makes the air feel hotter. Let's go with 95 degrees. Both Miami and LV can hit 95 easily in summer. In LV, the low humidity makes the air slightly cooler, maybe says 92 degrees. But go stand out in the open with direct sunlight and no shade. Now in Miami, 95 with humidity will feel over 100. But stand under a tree or an umbrella. The shade makes a huge difference.

Now, imagine 107 in LV with a heat index of 99. Miami at 90 with a heat index of 98. While walking around LV, you will constantly be under direct sunlight that will quickly heat up your hair, skin, and clothes, the pavement will get hotter, the buildings get hotter, and all those glass buildings reflect the suns rays. That 99 is going to feel horrible when your the sun will just not stop beaming down on you and the city and the pavement. In Miami, though, the 98 degrees with humidity comes with clouds. Without the direct sunlight on you, it feels much cooler. The sun doesn't heat up your clothes, house, buildings, cars, etc. as much. Then the afternoon thunderstorm comes through, humidity might drop, and the rain can sometimes drop the temperatures.

Also last year for EDC people died from heatstroke because it was still 99 at midnight. Miami will NEVER be 99 at midnight. Maybe 85 with humidity, but never 99. And think about night temperatures. 80 degrees with humidity at night feels much cooler than 80 degrees with humidity in the middle of the day because the sunlight heats everything up more.
Miami is rarely ever 95. Last year our highest temperature was 95 and that happened only once. There are maybe 10-20 days a year Miami climbs to 92 or greater. Our all time record high in history is 99.

We are comfortable to warm the entire summer. Just rainy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or