U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city to live in?
Las Vegas 57 41.01%
Miami 82 58.99%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 PM

621 posts, read 501,530 times

Advertisements

The more interesting city is Miami.
The more interesting region surrounds Vegas.

This has become a mountains verses ocean debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 03:15 PM
Status: "Soon I'll hear old winter's song.." (set 17 days ago)

5,391 posts, read 2,851,292 times
Neither. Haven't been to Vegas but wouldn't like to live there. One of my mom's exes was from Nevada and wanted us to move to Las Vegas and I was like 'hell no.'

I grew up in Miami, and it's horrible. There's lots to do, sure. But save that for vacation! There's no change of seasons, it's just hot and humid. No fall colours, not even a chance of a snow day. I think the 80s are a highly overrated temperature range. Las Vegas is hotter in summer, but cooler in winter, and drier. It does rain less though.

I pick Las Vegas as the lesser evil, though would never wanna live there. Abilene is the closest I'd wanna be to the desert!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:31 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,308,836 times
Can we just go over the fact that I'm going to LV this weekend and it's under excessive heat warning with temperatures forecasted at 112? That's just inhumane. The 10 day forecast has temperatures over 105 every single day, with 3 of those being over 110. WHY would anyone want to live there? Miami Beach, OTOH, is forecasted between 89-91 every single day. That is much more reasonable than 112, even with the heat index. Because as was explained before, standing in 91 with humidity under cloud cover is much more comfortable than 112 dry heat in direct sunlight with not a single cloud in sight.

Also, it's 2% humidity right now. WTH is that even? 2??????? Human beings were not made to live in 2% humidity. We're mostly water. We dry up. It's not healthy.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Vegas does not have better scenery like what in the actual %#%^? Miami's clear blue water and sandy beaches along with a good skyline makes for insane natural scenery.

Who cares if Miami is tiny. It's still a better city than Vegas.

And Las Vegas is nothing outside of the strip. Okay.

Vegas isn't fast paced...at all. People go there to party and gamble...that's it. Fast paced comes with a more corporate like city. Vegas isn't corporate...at all...it's all tourism.

Miami isn't that fast paced either. People are there relaxing on the beaches and enjoying the nightlife and food.
Las Vegas has desert and mountains though. The coastline of Miami can be very beautiful, but when you go inland, there's no actual scenery. The prettiest places that are more inland is the wooded areas of Coral Gables where it's green and full of trees. The rest of inland Miami is pretty damn treeless and flag as a tortilla. Much of it looks like a Latin American ghetto mixed with a bunch of bland brandname stores and restaurants. It doesn't get prettier until the west side when yer leaving the city for the Everglades.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:44 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Las Vegas has desert and mountains though. The coastline of Miami can be very beautiful, but when you go inland, there's no actual scenery. The prettiest places that are more inland is the wooded areas of Coral Gables where it's green and full of trees. The rest of inland Miami is pretty damn treeless and flag as a tortilla. Much of it looks like a Latin American ghetto mixed with a bunch of bland brandname stores and restaurants. It doesn't get prettier until the west side when yer leaving the city for the Everglades.
Why is desert more beautiful than tropical wetlands (the everglades)? One is brown and rather uninteresting, the other is lush and green.

Now I give you mountains are beautiful, they are still a drive from Vegas. Miami bumps into the ocean, not to mention numerous islands.

It's not even close for most people I'd imagine -> white sand with coconut palms and turquoise clear waters versus brown barrenness with brown mountains.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKing View Post
Vegas has 100x better scenery then Miami, the only natural thing Miami has going for it is the ocean.

Everything in Miami is man made including all the beaches that you probably think are natural.

Have you even been to either places? Both are fast paced and international tourist destinations.

Says who you need to be corporate in order to be fast paced? Who made that rule up ? Have you been living under a rock?

Outside the strip is well kept and very clean. Go to Vegas Picture thread in Vegas section you'll get 150 pages of pictures.

Go to Miami's picture thread here you will find only about 48 pages of pictures, that speaks for itself.

Outside of Miami's main areas (downtown/beach areas/around the coast) it's 3rd world how is that classy.
While I agree with a lot of what you said, not all of Miami's beaches are artificial. Key Biscayne is a natural island and has my favourite beach in Miami down by the Cape Florida Lighthouse, the oldest structure in South Florida.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Why is desert more beautiful than tropical wetlands (the everglades)? One is brown and rather uninteresting, the other is lush and green.

Now I give you mountains are beautiful, they are still a drive from Vegas. Miami bumps into the ocean, not to mention numerous islands.

It's not even close for most people I'd imagine -> white sand with coconut palms and turquoise clear waters versus brown barrenness with brown mountains.
The desert is very beautiful. So are the Everglades. The Everglades though is full of mosquitoes, so there's that The desert has beautiful scenery, very dramatic. Most of Miami is not on the beach, most of Miami looks like this: http://activerain.trulia.com/image_s...0017116465.jpg or like this http://p.rdcpix.com/v02/l1b7db544-m0...0_h480_q80.jpg. The natural beauty is on the beach, or outside of the city on the west side. The average Miamian does not live in Miami Beach, dude. I feel like Las Vegas blends into it's landscape better. http://cache-graphicslib.viator.com/...81-770tall.jpg I also find this more beautiful than the Everglades. The Everglades are beautiful too, but you need an airboat to really see it, while the desert can be seen by car. You also need a boat to really see Miami's oceanic beauty, which definitely is beautiful.

Miami needs more trees. Vegas can be excused for being treeless, but Miami really can't. It's got plenty of space and water for trees. I have a friend from Atlanta who hates Miami and one reason is it's got like, no trees. I can see her point, flying into Atlanta last November, the colourful canopy of green and orange. Miami looked so empty from the sky, and flat. Really wish they had slightly colder weather for at least some autumn colour too. Miami would benefit from summertime shade if it had a lot more trees. Btw, this is a geyser near Vegas https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cc0c84ec2c.jpg Florida doesn't have anything like that. All the natural scenery in the Miami area is either by the ocean or in a swamp. The rest is mostly urban ghetto.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:57 PM

5,620 posts, read 13,308,836 times
Yes, this blends in so well to the desert where the water supply is vast and unlimited and not running out whatsoever!

http://www.lasvegasfinehomes.com/ima...f246d67860.jpg
http://www.lasvegasfinehomes.com/ima...b68de88938.jpg

And yes, this is oh so beautiful! Clearly much better than the poor neighborhoods of Miami!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...b379a3!6m1!1e1

https://goo.gl/maps/Bwmk6

Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,127,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Can we just go over the fact that I'm going to LV this weekend and it's under excessive heat warning with temperatures forecasted at 112? That's just inhumane. The 10 day forecast has temperatures over 105 every single day, with 3 of those being over 110. WHY would anyone want to live there? Miami Beach, OTOH, is forecasted between 89-91 every single day. That is much more reasonable than 112, even with the heat index. Because as was explained before, standing in 91 with humidity under cloud cover is much more comfortable than 112 dry heat in direct sunlight with not a single cloud in sight.
Don't just stand in the direct sun, there are plenty of patios and roof overhangs. you'll be fine. Right now in Phoenix it's 111 and 7% humidity. The numbers might seem scary but the truth is it's tolerable, and no worse than a hot and humid day in Florida. I wouldn't have moved here if it was intolerable. I spent many years in Florida, I was born in Tampa. But I found this dry heat easier to handle. This morning I even trimmed the side shrubs of my house. I went to the pool this afternoon to cool off, when you're wet and that hot dry breeze hits you, it actually feels cool, it's crazy.

Quote:
Also, it's 2% humidity right now. WTH is that even? 2??????? Human beings were not made to live in 2% humidity. We're mostly water. We dry up. It's not healthy.
You can dehydrated just as easily in a subtropical climate. The only difference is, you wear it there, here it evaporates off you and you don't stink as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
"Lush and green" isn't necessarily all that interesting either. The greenery in South Florida is an over-saturated green. And if you could appreciate desert vegetation, you might see that muted greens yield subtle undertones of blue and purple. Palos Verdes trees give off a yellow iridescence.

Quote:

And yes, this is oh so beautiful! Clearly much better than the poor neighborhoods of Miami!
https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...b379a3!6m1!1e1

https://goo.gl/maps/Bwmk6
At least be fair and show Miami's hoods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3WH-795LcA

Old 06-17-2015, 07:01 PM

1,699 posts, read 1,481,056 times
^^^I can assure you are there are more flower varieties in South Florida (and come in all colors) than there are in Vegas. Part of living in a tropical climate, vegetation thrives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or